The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

DrAlice

Finally watched Raya & the Last Dragon last night with the family. I had the same response that I had to Luca - "meh. Ok, but not one I'm going to return to over and over." Then I started thinking about what made these two movies so "meh". I think I got it: music. Disney movies are about classically about the music. Without them, they aren't much different than Dreamworks. Meh.

(Having said that.... I realize this is only a partial explanation. Exhibit A: Frozen 2 had music, but yuck. *shudder*)

PiratesMansion

Finally watched Raya & the Last Dragon last night with the family. I had the same response that I had to Luca - "meh. Ok, but not one I'm going to return to over and over." Then I started thinking about what made these two movies so "meh". I think I got it: music. Disney movies are about classically about the music. Without them, they aren't much different than Dreamworks. Meh.

(Having said that.... I realize this is only a partial explanation. Exhibit A: Frozen 2 had music, but yuck. *shudder*)
That and the writing for me. Most older Disney movies were written to be somewhat timeless. Most current Disney movies feel like they're written for the lowest common denominator and are extremely of the moment in terms of dialogue and humor. Not saying their movies shouldn't have that at all, but if I feel like any given character could look straight at the camera and talk about how this would so make their Instagram (and btdubs follow meeeeeee) without it being incredibly jarring tonally, it's gone too far.

Last edited:

DrAlice

I mean Reya literally has "butt" jokes and a baby throwing its dirty diapers at people.

Not saying its a bad movie and I enjoyed a lot about it, it was actually a cool adventure film, but the comedy felt out of place.
This. This is what made it feel non-Disney to me. I enjoyed a lot about it too, but I don't see it being one I go back to again and again.

DrAlice

Most of Disney's modern animated films are clearly them trying to ape Tangled and Frozen. Why do you think so many of their more recent protagonists are so similar to Rapunzel personality-wise?
I hear you, but I think this is more of a reflection of the media's changing portrayal of women. Snow White is very much a product of her time. She looks and sounds like a lot of women in film of the era.

I think Disney has been trying to (thankfully) move away from this trope:

1630770837400.png

Having said that, I wouldn't fault anyone if they thought that Disney has overcorrected in the other direction.

socalifornian

A minimal outdoor/semi outdoor Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted restaurant could be neat at DAK. Make it feel like you’re in the Safari and separate the main kitchen/back of house from the seating

Rich T

It’s one of their five categories on Disney+ so I think it would be entirely reasonable. Surprised Grizzly Peak or something at Animal Kingdom isn’t National Geographic branded yet.
It’s truly sad that the word “Disney” has come to merely represent a soulless corporation’s purchases. And just as sad that the parks are becoming meaningless clusters of other studios’ creations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom