The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

I’ve noticed that people on this site will talk about our community here. I’ll browse threads and will randomly come across a post, sometimes from people I’ve never seen post here in the DL forum and sometimes from people who have (you know who you are), and will comment about something.

Along with the one above, here’s another example from this week:

6F8778E2-B48E-4F5D-BF76-BBB27BE6CB97.jpeg

This one’s a personal favorite of mine:

0CDC4C37-EB30-459F-B2DC-F300674D6412.jpeg

We’ve got lurkers, both here and on Twitter (if
you know, you know lol).

FE11D5FB-F28F-4B29-A2B9-20E8484355DB.jpeg

Last edited:

CaptinEO

The WDW side should relate to us.

Disneyland Resort from 2016-Now is like what happened to Disney World from 1999-2005.

I don't think anyone here wants to he cynical. It's sad to watch your favorite place get tarnished and why not have a sense of humor about it?

Not so long ago we had the original Fantasmic, Tower of Terror, California Screaming, and Soaring Over California, and Remember Dreams Come True.

Fantasmic 2.0, Pixar Pier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spiderman Ride Land, Mickey's Dance Party Fireworks, even Galaxy's Edge, its all been downhill for me and I love Disneyland.

I want it to get better and I still hold out hope that it will.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

The WDW side should relate to us.

Disneyland Resort from 2016-Now is like what happened to Disney World from 1999-2005.

I don't think anyone here wants to he cynical. It's sad to watch your favorite place get tarnished and why not have a sense of humor about it?
It’s pretty clear to me that those who complain about our opinions and demeanor have no issues with the current decision-making coming from Disney. They have different standards. But my thing is, who cares if we have strong opinions about our park and aren’t thrilled with current management? If people enjoy the parks as they currently are, great. It’s a problem though when we are critical of the decision-making and want better. And what’s even more interesting/strange is the amount of people who comment on our forum dynamics who don’t frequent our forum, haven’t been to Disneyland in many years, or have never been at all. How are you going to claim that we are overly critical and complain too much when you’ve never visited or the last time you did visit, Reagan was President? Lol bye.

Californian Elitist

Maliboomer, with those plexiglass face shields, was so ahead of it’s time. Can’t believe it’s successor was a trio of boxed trees for a decade, and then a relocated flat ride.

Did anyone else think they were for vomit? I spent my childhood assuming that…
I also believed that!

I was nine when DCA opened in 2001. My childhood there was mostly spent in line for Soarin’ Over California (I thought it was the most amazing ride in the world) and a few of the baby rides in Paradise Pier, requesting a Big Mac or Happy Meal from Burger Invasion (who remembers Burger Invasion, aka McDonald’s?), spending time in a bug’s land, and climbing over the giant letters.

CaptinEO

It’s pretty clear to me that those who complain about our opinions and demeanor have no issues with the current decision-making coming from Disney. They have different standards. But my thing is, who cares if we have strong opinions about our park and aren’t thrilled with current management? If people enjoy the parks as they currently are, great. It’s a problem though when we are critical of the decision-making and want better. And what’s even more interesting/strange is the amount of people who comment on our forum dynamics who don’t frequent our forum, haven’t been to Disneyland in many years, or have never been at all. How are you going to claim that we are overly critical and complain too much when you’ve never visited or the last time you did visit, Reagan was President? Lol bye.
You are totally right. It's funny cause I actually left Micechat since it was too cynical and heavily moderated as well.

People have become more jaded, but I solely put the blame on Disney.

I don't blame Disney's hardcore fans at all for becoming dissatisfied with a company that meant so much to them and being upset over it.

It is upsetting, a lot of these decisions are slowly ruining a place we all care about.

No one should judge us for speaking our mind. Especially since social media and youtube is now a Disney kissing fest, I'm glad theres somewhere on the internet where we can have a discussion.

Sharon&Susan

At this point, I’d welcome a DCA 1.0 return. Pretty sure I’m more disappointed with DCA in its current state.

Bring back Maliboomer, Bur-r-r-bank Ice Cream, the giant C A L I F O R N I A letters, and most importantly, Soarin’ Over California.
This is a more realistic dream than the WDW's side constant obsession to moving every ride/attraction in the Magic Kingdom to one of the other 3 parks.

EDIT: Added word that I forgot when I wrote this

Last edited:

Stevek

At this point, I’d welcome a DCA 1.0 return. Pretty sure I’m more disappointed with DCA in its current state.

Bring back Maliboomer, Bur-r-r-bank Ice Cream, the giant C A L I F O R N I A letters, and most importantly, Soarin’ Over California.
Just my opinion, but DCA 2.0 is leaps and bounds better than 1.0...like not even close.

The entry/BV street is dramatically improved.
Cars Land is still stunning 9 years later. This alone should be enough to make 2.0 better than 1.0
Monster's Inc vs Superstar Limo
Screamin is a push, no real difference in the experience for me
Avengers Campus could become much better than Bugs Land though I will miss ITTBAB
I loved TOT but actually enjoy Guardians as much if not more. That whole area is now much more cohesive as before TOT was just kinda there and now is part of a full land.
I did enjoy Maliboomer but at least the added a much needed family attraction in it's place, even if it's a retread of Fliks.
Little Mermaid better than Golden Dreams
The Grizzly Peak area feels much more cohesive with the exterior retheming
World of Color...the first phase of DCA 2.0

Things I don't like:
New Soarin'...just doesn't hold a candle to the original
Shoehorning Philharmagic (which I love) into a theater it's not suited for. Just doesn't work and I was not the biggest fan of Muppets 3D
The whole Pixar theme on the pier is a bit forced but at least they created a land that is cohesive across the board.

Californian Elitist

Just my opinion, but DCA 2.0 is leaps and bounds better than 1.0...like not even close.

The entry/BV street is dramatically improved.
Cars Land is still stunning 9 years later. This alone should be enough to make 2.0 better than 1.0
Monster's Inc vs Superstar Limo
Screamin is a push, no real difference in the experience for me
Avengers Campus could become much better than Bugs Land though I will miss ITTBAB
I loved TOT but actually enjoy Guardians as much if not more. That whole area is now much more cohesive as before TOT was just kinda there and now is part of a full land.
I did enjoy Maliboomer but at least the added a much needed family attraction in it's place, even if it's a retread of Fliks.
Little Mermaid better than Golden Dreams
The Grizzly Peak area feels much more cohesive with the exterior retheming
World of Color...the first phase of DCA 2.0

Things I don't like:
New Soarin'...just doesn't hold a candle to the original
Shoehorning Philharmagic (which I love) into a theater it's not suited for. Just doesn't work and I was not the biggest fan of Muppets 3D
The whole Pixar theme on the pier is a bit forced but at least they created a land that is cohesive across the board.
I should be more specific when I say I would welcome DCA 1.0 at this point. I will acknowledge that there are factors of current DCA that are clearly better than the way it was before in its infancy. Cars Land and BVS are some examples. However, what DCA 1.0 had over current DCA is consistency, in addition to being more Californian. DCA 1.0 was bad pretty much everywhere, unlike current DCA which has pockets of good and pockets of bad. We’ve got Cars Land, BVS, and Grizzly Peak, but also duds like Pixar Pier, Hollywood Land, Paradise Gardens Park, and probably Avengers Campus (I say probably because I haven’t seen it myself yet).

I’m very disappointed with the way Disney has been managing DCA. The park was genuinely improving for a good three years before it once again fell off the wagon. The park currently has no identity. “California” should be removed from the official title because the “theme” is incredibly forced to the point where most of the offerings in the park don’t make any sense in regards to how they relate to California. There’s no cohesion. DCA 1.0 was way more Californian than current DCA, which is pathetic.

It’s been 20 years and this is what Disney’s got to show for DCA. This is the best they’ve come up with? I’m more forgiving of DCA 1.0 because it was the beginning. But 20 years have passed, it still isn’t up to par, the California angle is basically gone, and we’re left with offerings such as Avengers Campus, which… Actually, never mind.

I’m more disappointed with current DCA because there’s been plenty of time to get it right and we’re still left with mediocrity. And guests are eating it up, which is exactly what Disney wants, so they’re winning. I’d like cohesion, consistency, and California back. DCA 1.0 hits all of those for me and at this point, it’s why I’d welcome it back. We all knew it was bad. There was no pretending like it was a quality product, unlike current DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom