The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

Walt Disney's Disneyland
Walt Disney Presents
Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color
To rephrase: The Muppet Show is the last big thing that is recognizable to "Teh Yoofs!"

Which is probably exactly why those series aren't on D+, though they really should be there and it's ludicrous that they aren't.

They could also work a LOT faster to add those classic theatrical shorts.

PiratesMansion

Theatrical cuts of the Original Star Wars Trilogy.
seth meyers no GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Rich T

The problem with Disney+ is that when Netflix (especially) or Hulu flood with content, Disney+ content drips.

It's not entirely their fault, as they haven't been able to film as much new content as was planned, but you would think they would at least move faster on getting some of the older stuff out that is just sitting in the vaults. Will most people care? No, but it's something. As opposed to their current "well we'll release four TV episodes a week total and that's just fine" model.

The Muppet Show is probably the last big thing that's still in the vault, and only for another month or so. Then what?

I get that there's always going to be an audience of parents who need to entertain their kids, and those kids might be fine watching the same content over and over again, but if they really want to grow their audience (and keep it, once those sweetheart signup deals run out), they need more. If they can't create new, then they need to dig into the vaults.

Then again, it's very much the WDW strategy of parsing out the bare minimum to lavish praise and it seems to work just fine for them in both cases, so...
In addition to the thousands of hours of classic Disney TV that’s still stupidly locked in the vault, there’s the entire remaining library of animated shorts and a LOT of quality programming for younger kids....Like, why is Bear in the Big Blue House not there?

And what I would LOVE to see are the great shows from the early, classy years of the Disney Channel: Five Mile Creek, Avonlea, the Wind in the Willows (the British stop-motion series) and the rest. Heck, I’d love to see reruns of EPCOT Magazine!

PiratesMansion

In addition to the thousands of hours of classic Disney TV that’s still stupidly locked in the vault, there’s the entire remaining library of animated shorts and a LOT of quality programming for younger kids....Like, why is Bear in the Big Blue House not there?

And what I would LOVE to see are the great shows from the early, classy years of the Disney Channel: Five Mile Creek, Avonlea, the Wind in the Willows (the British stop-motion series) and the rest. Heck, I’d love to see reruns of EPCOT Magazine!
They undervalue so much of their own history and just lock it in the vault (unless, of course, it's the "correct" property or they perceive it to be marketable). There's SO MUCH buried in their archives for no reason.

For whose benefit?

Mac Tonight

I'd probably watch the heck out of Under the Umbrella Tree and yes... even Welcome to Pooh Corner.

PiratesMansion

I think I have watched almost the entire library of National Geographic shows on D+. Not all of them are worth watching, but that didn't stop me.
Maybe I've chosen the wrong ones, but the ones I've seen just don't hold a candle to the BBC docs that used to be all over Netflix.

Which National Geographic series/specials do you recommend?

Sharon&Susan

The original cuts no longer exist. when they made the special editions they updated the original negatives.
I really doubt that, why would they keep the original (higher quality than any of the ones currently available) print for the Holiday Special, but not the original prints of the Star Wars trilogy.

Especially when the plan was always to keep updating them which would've required possibly tweaking the Special Edition updates as seen with Jabba.

This sounds more like an excuse George made so he didn't have to give the Library of Congress copies of his "embarrassments".

lazyboy97o

I really doubt that, why would they keep the original (higher quality than any of the ones currently available) print for the Holiday Special, but not the original prints of the Star Wars trilogy.

Especially when the plan was always to keep updating them which would've required possibly tweaking the Special Edition updates as seen with Jabba.

This sounds more like an excuse George made so he didn't have to give the Library of Congress copies of his "embarrassments".
They really did cut up the original master to make the Special Edition, but other high quality copies do still exist.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The original prints are gone. that is why they had the final video release back in the 90's before the special editions because the original versions were no longer going to be available ever again because they were changing them.

Mac Tonight

Really disappointed with Ready Player Two.

In hindsight, I can’t even say I’m surprised. I should have learned my lesson after reading his other two books, but saw it available through my library’s e-book section and curiosity won out.

Ugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom