The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

truecoat

I'd still like to see expected capacity of this ride when they can pack them in again. I wonder how many ride vehicles are in the system at any given time? Sending out 60 guests at one time should make this a big line eater.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I'd still like to see expected capacity of this ride when they can pack them in again. I wonder how many ride vehicles are in the system at any given time? Sending out 60 guests at one time should make this a big line eater.
Thankfully the person in the posted video kept the camera running continually from launch to launch, so it should be easy to figure out hourly capacity.

Launch to launch time: 2:11 min:sec (nuts!)
Riders per launch: 60

60min / 2:11min = 27.5 launches per hour

27.5 * 60 riders = 1,649 riders per hour

That's actually pretty bad. The question is, what is the minimum space between launches the ride system allows for to get all vehicles through the ride scenes? Well, the first scene and the last scene are about about 2 min long each, so sadly they can't really reduce the capacity.

Just for fun, if they could theoretically get the load time down what would the hourly capacity be? Let's make a chart:

Load Time (mins)Hourly Capacity
1:003600
1:152880
1:302400
1:452057
2:001800

This is truly poor planning by the imagineers. There is no reason any scene should be 2 minutes long. They could have done shorter scenes with smaller sets and pushed people through faster. They probably thought 10 seat / 6 vehicles would help capacity, but the problem is the vehicles are so big you need large sets and you only have finite space, so to make 3 large sets enjoyable you need a longer period of time in each set to make the ride longer than 4 or 5 minutes. Such poor planning all around.

BayouShack

The three big rooms last about 2 minutes, which gives you 30 dispatches/hr of 6 cars seating 10 each, so a high end estimate of 1800. In practice with social distancing measures removed, I’d imagine it is hundreds less because the scenes probably need a little more time to reset.

At once, there is probably six or seven sets of six tea cups (Load, Be our Guest, Something There, Mob, Ballroom, Unload, + extra set between load and unload[?]). So 36 or 42 cups in the circuit.

I might try my hands at recutting the POV to get rid of the awkward instrumental loops between scenes. For example, in the Something There scene, the singing between Belle singing with the horse, and singing on the balcony should be continuous. Also, there’s at least 10 extra seconds of waiting before going into the ballroom. I wonder how much of the awkward pauses/transitions are built in vs coming from COVID procedures (ie longer dispatches because they’re wiping down the plexiglass?)

Last edited:

BayouShack

This video was posted today. It isn't filmed as well as the popular one posted yesterday (you miss out on seeing Belle's solo during "There's Something There," but all the transitions are done properly. There's no gap in the singing as you leave the "Something There" courtyard to the balcony. Also, the castle's transition happens seamlessly. There's no awkwardly staring out the window watching the screen. Instead you glide past it directly into the ballroom. I definitely recommend watching this video even if you've seen the other one.

mickEblu

Original Poster

This video was posted today. It isn't filmed as well as the popular one posted yesterday (you miss out on seeing Belle's solo during "There's Something There," but all the transitions are done properly. There's no gap in the singing as you leave the "Something There" courtyard to the balcony. Also, the castle's transition happens seamlessly. There's no awkwardly staring out the window watching the screen. Instead you glide past it directly into the ballroom. I definitely recommend watching this video even if you've seen the other one.

Thanks for sharing. It’s obvious the imagineers were thinking that BATB is a musical and they were just going to highlight all the songs. The problem with that is that’s ALL they did except for the transformation scene that comes out of nowhere. The first two scenes are way too long. I guess if there goal was to have us “live” in those scenes where those songs took place they achieved it. It’s like ok we feel like we re there but this is way too long with nothing happening or changing. With that said I’m sure these scenes with all of the effects and projections come across way better in person.

Another thought - why are these dang imagineers taking themselves so seriously. Reminds me of Galaxies edge. So because we entered Beasts castle we can’t have a Gastons tavern scene or Belle in the town? Personally, I would have preferred for them to establish the Beasts castle as mysterious place and build some suspense instead of throwing us directly into “Be our Guest.” It’s like they toss out the suspense built up from the well done (yet long) pre show immediately. It would be like getting out of the stretching room in HM and walking immediately into the graveyard with all the jovial singing ghosts. Speaking of HM this ride should have definitely used the omnimover system and would have worked much better If they let us wander through beasts castle a bit. Give us some intimate scenes in hallways and bedrooms between the big dance/ song scenes.

Here was their thought process. BATB = musical. We need to use trackless vehicles so guests can feel like they re dancing to all the songs. Flow be dammed. Suspense be damned. World building be damned. Overall ride experience be damned.

Last edited:

Rich T

Better pacing, for sure, but...(and acknowledging it’ll be more spectacular in person)... There’s so much effort put into so little content here. Be Our Guest is the best part (no denying it’s incredibly cute), but then—Ugh— The Something There room is so empty and dull. There’s something really wrong when most of what you see are other ride vehicles jostling around while you wait for your few seconds near the AAs. Plenty of time to look up at the warehouse roof.

And getting a Prince Mannequin AA dancing with Belle at the end is such a weak finale (there’s a reason the film rushes by that final dance to get to the credits) and—again—you spend more time staring at the vehicles in your line of view... while trying to avoid looking at Mrs. Potts...
ED1F2A4B-D184-453A-B8B1-34265A7547D0.jpeg

Last edited:

Mac Tonight

Anyone else notice how there are a bunch of users who only post in threads related to the Coronavirus shutdown of Disneyland and never post in any other threads? I'm wondering what threads they posted in prior to the shutdown? Or were they just not interested in Disneyland before it closed down?
Not only do they only appear to be active in those threads, but it's also seemingly always arguing in the defense of continued shut-down.

Rich T

Thanks for sharing. It’s obvious the imagineers were thinking that BATB is a musical and they were just going to highlight all the songs. The problem with that is that’s ALL they did except for the transformation scene that comes out of nowhere. The first two scenes are way too long. I guess if there goal was to have us “live” in those scenes where those songs took place they achieved it. It’s like ok we feel like we re there but this is way too long with nothing happening or changing. With that said I’m sure these scenes with all of the effects and projections come across way better in person.

Another thought - why are these dang imagineers taking themselves so seriously. Reminds me of Galaxies edge. So because we entered Beasts castle we can’t have a Gastons tavern scene or Belle in the town? Personally, I would have preferred for them to establish the Beasts castle as mysterious place and build some suspense instead of throwing us directly into “Be our Guest.” It’s like they toss out the suspense built up from the well done (yet long) pre show immediately. It would be like getting out of the stretching room in HM and walking immediately into the graveyard with all the jovial singing ghosts. Speaking of HM this ride should have definitely used the omnimover system and would have worked much better If they let us wander through beasts castle a bit. Give us some intimate scenes in hallways and bedrooms between the big dance/ song scenes.

Here was their thought process. BATB = musical. We need to use trackless vehicles so guests can feel like they re dancing to all the songs. Flow be dammed. Suspense be damned. World building be damned. Overall ride experience ve damned.
Mermaid has the same problem. They made a ride-through Disney Sing-Along video instead of an adventure. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think the park’s audience would have rather had something a bit more thrilling. There’s something very self-conscious and obnoxious about the use of trackless vehicles on B&tB. Maybe it’s the fact that they’re so large and numerous that they make every scene look like Luigi’s Flying Tires.

Rich T

Not only do they only appear to be active in those threads, but it's also seemingly always arguing in the defense of continued shut-down.
I’ve stayed away from those threads, because I already stated my view (anti-opening) and my reasons. I can’t speak for others posting over there, but when one has older, beloved family members in ongoing peril caused by people who don’t seem to think of anyone but themselves... it makes one want to speak out.

Mac Tonight

I’ve stayed away from those threads, because I already stated my view (anti-opening) and my reasons. I can’t speak for others posting over there, but when one has older, beloved family members in ongoing peril caused by people who don’t seem to think of anyone but themselves... it makes one want to speak out.
That's fine. But even if you spoke up more often, we'd understand because you're a vocal member on other parts of the DLR section.

As for having older beloved family members in peril, I actually lost my Grandma on Mother's Day (non-Covid related) and it's been hard to read past the "don't kill Grandma" rhetoric. But, what can you do?

Outside of SWL, I don't think our section of the boards has ever been so polarized.

George Lucas on a Bench

Yeah, I'm not saying you can't be hesitant about reopening, just that no one knows who these people are and they all seemed to emerge to argue in defense of keeping Disneyland closed and/or only participate in closure threads. They don't post in any other threads about, you know, Disneyland. Only in closure/reopening threads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom