The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

The Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast just opened in Tokyo and it is absolutely stunning.

Where to start, well let me first say it's great to be back and be able to post again! Missed you all. I had no idea this ride opened yet, so thanks for posting it.

Pros: The AA's are jaw droppingly amazing. Like woow. In the finale- they are dancing! As I live and breath, AA's are dancing! and doing it fluidly with no obvious wires through pre-cut slits on the podium they are dancing on. They are dancing on the surface. Blown away. Some of the sets are good, the pre-show and 'Be our Guest' as the stand outs. The change from Beast to Prince Guy is amazing. Lumiere looks like he has actual fire on his head and arms.
That is where the pros end.

CONS: EVERYTHING ELSE. This is WORSE than little mermaid because at least that ride acknowledged it's villain.
If Little Mermaid is a book report, this ride is a lazy book report. There is no flow to the ride or solid story. How do you mess up THE STORY for Beauty and the Beast?!!!! You go to room to room and stay there waaaaay toooo looooooong. Especially
in the "Something There" Scene. You don't get a good look at the Bell AA in that scene. It's not teling the story of Beauty and the Beast or exploring the castle with the trackless vehicle, you go from room to room just for the songs. I HATE that unlike Rise of the Resistance I CAN SEE SHOW LIGHTING PHYSICAL LIGHTS all over the ride, especially when we are meant to be outside.

There is no Gaston for some reason. so when the castle is invaded it means nothing. There are big doors in the castle now for some reason. The ride vehicle makes no sense. Are we in a plate or a cup? why does it have a hockey puck at the bottom of it?? Rise has raised the bar with trackless vehicles not needing the giant hockey puck so why did this ride go back to that design?? Why is there a giant plate or cup??? The staff of the house was transformed into these things so are we riding inside someone?? are we enchanted??? makes no sense. and they should have just used a omni mover or traditional dark ride vehicle because all we do is spin instead of moving through the rooms telling the story.

There is no atmosphere except the pre-show after that it goes right out the window. and THE BIGGEST SIN OF ALL IS IT EXCLUDES THE MOST ICONIC SCENE IN THE MOVIE: Belle dancing with the BEAST!!!! That's the scene we want to see. That is the scene we want to be spinning around in as BELLE AND THE BEAST dance not Bell and Prince Guy. How do you get that wrong??????!

Ride is worth at least 1 ride through for the AA's but man I will take any of the classic FantasyLand Dark Rides over this in a heartbeat because I am more immersed and can follow an actual story with flow in those than this thing. They focused too much on the AA's and forgot to tell a story. This ride has no heart or soul. It's just lazy.

Last edited:

Rich T

You didn't hear her singing at the beginning of the ride, "Eat.....our....guests eat our guests...."
3413A36E-8C9F-487C-8B54-2DDB88ED6F4F.jpeg
I
Sweet dreams, everyone!😃

Rich T

...and THE BIGGEST SIN OF ALL IS IT EXCLUDES THE MOST ICONIC SCENE IN THE MOVIE: Belle dancing with the BEAST!!!! That's the scene we want to see. That is the scene we want to be spinning around in as BELLE AND THE BEAST dance not Bell and Prince Guy. How do you get that wrong??????!
This decision blows my mind. They didn’t create the ONE SCENE *EVERYBODY* associates with B&tB. The one scene everyone wants to see created in 3 dimensions to waltz around in. The scene that got the film nominated for Best Picture alongside 4 big live action features.

Belle and Beast dancing together has been sculpted countless times for merchandise and park statues. Because that’s the heart of the film. Not Belle and Prince Nobody. Belle and Beast.

But, hey, at least the ride designers gave us five minutes of Belle petting her horse while Beast feeds a bird. Imagineering geniuses!!!! Suuuuper geniuses!!!

Rich T

I did like the stove chef in the boarding area. Too bad he doesn’t move.

Speaking of the boarding area...TERRIBLE SOUND-PROOFING!!! Wow, there’s nothing like hearing the entire first ride scene play out behind the door while waiting for your turn. Those poor CMs...

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

This decision blows my mind. They didn’t create the ONE SCENE *EVERYBODY* associates with B&tB. The one scene everyone wants to see created in 3 dimensions to waltz around in. The scene that got the film nominated for Best Picture alongside 4 big live action features.

Belle and Beast dancing together has been sculpted countless times for merchandise and park statues. Because that’s the heart of the film. Not Belle and Prince Nobody. Belle and Beast.

But, hey, at least the ride designers gave us five minutes of Belle petting her horse while Beast feeds a bird. Imagineering geniuses!!!! Suuuuper geniuses!!!
It's even more insulting because they have AA's of them in their ballroom outfits and they have their backs towards us the whole time. In that behind the scenes video teasing the ride that's been around for a while they show us those AA's from the front so they are full AA's with full expressions. So they made them, but they place them so their backs are towards us. We should have entered the ballroom and see them descend the stairs and start dancing. That would have blown me away. but no, they have them in their iconic outfits with their backs turned towards us. It's actually insulting on top of being lazy.

brb1006

Another underwhelming trackless ride. How much of the blame pie goes to the ride system, how much of it goes to the imagineers not being good at their job and how much goes to the suits?
I think the blame could be on the Imagineers, there are some decent moments but was mostly "meh". If anything, Hunny Hunt still aged better (and that's 20 years old) since it's the first of it's kind and didn't felt like a warehouse (not to the extent as the "Under The Sea" section of Little Mermaid). After all, Tokyo is where the LPS/trackless system originated from.

Last edited:

brb1006

Ah well, at least there's the upcoming Tangled and "new" Peter Pan attraction currently being built at Tokyo's Fantasyland.

Disneyland/DCA

Dear lord what a boring ride, and the music from that movie is great!

Just more evidence that today's imagineers were raised on rollercoaster tycoon and not taught theory and practical experience from previous imagineers who adapted techniques learned from cinema into the amusement park medium. Seriously who taught them that it's ok to have your subject matter facing AWAY from your audience. And if it was supposed to be a "musical highlights" ride, why didn't they have the MAIN song play at an appropriate time. (As others pointed out9 And luckily I don't need to get started on the awfulness of the snow scene since others have already covered it.

Maybe it's my problem. Is this really what OLC and the Japanese public like and wanted? Are we taking bets and how sketchy fantasy springs is going to be?

brb1006

Dear lord what a boring ride, and the music so from that movie is great! Just more evidence that today's imagineers were raised on rollercoaster tycoon and not taught theory and practical experience from previous imagineers who adapted techniques learned from cinema into the amusement park medium. Seriously who taught them that it's ok to have your subject matter facing AWAY from your audience. What the hell where they looking at? Looks to me like nothing. And luckily I don't need to get started on the awfulness of the snow scene since others have already covered it. Maybe it's my problem. Is this really what OLC and the Japanese public like and wanted? Are we taking bets and how sketchy fantasy springs is going to be?
I'm having a feeling the Imagineers who worked on the BATB attraction definitely ain't the same people who worked on "Pooh's Hunny Hunt" (which debuted 20 years ago) which had actual effort put into. At least the two new attractions (Tangled and Peter Pan) at Fantasy Springs won't use the LPS system (if my memory's correct) helps that we barely seen any pieces of concept art.

Sharon&Susan

That's because there's a delay in unloading/loading that in the most common ride footage causes that scene to go on for an extra minute longer than intended.

Original intended length of this scene is in this video:

It's still longer than it should be considering what's in the room. But at least it doesn't drag as badly as it does in the other ridethrough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom