The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

MK-fan

Has the new chip n’ dale squirting water feature from the Gadget Coaster ever worked? In the beginning it never worked and I just saw a new video and still nothing.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It’s interesting. They’ve been closing the Matterhorn on the weekdays and opening it up Friday - Sundays for the last few weeks. At first glance you’d think that’s because they want the additional capacity available on the busier weekends. Except haven’t the weekends (or at least Sundays) been less busy than the weekdays for a while or is that just a myth? I can say for certain that Sundays are less busy than Mondays.

truecoat

The new Frozen ride at Tokyo Disneyland is similar to the current rides but much longer and full of some cool effects. Very book report though.

truecoat

Rumor is that Shanghai Disneyland is getting a Spiderman coaster next to zootopia. Curious to see if this turns out to be true and if we see it at other resorts that have avengers already.

Not a rumor.

Spiderman Rollercoaster Shanghai Disneyland.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That is what a Frozen ride should be. Much better and more story. Knowing TDA, Disneyland would probably get something less than Epcot. Why does Tokyo always get the good stuff?
I would imagine that if Frozen is coming DLR we would get something similar to HKDL since it would be a brand new build rather than a retheme like at Epcot.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Geez, the video I have to share today isn't nearly as good as that Tokyo one. 🫤

Its unfortunate that it happens, especially at DLR, but it happens out in the world every second of the day. And it wouldn't surprise me if they all knew each other, similar to the TT fight.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’m not feeling this Tokyo version of the Frozen ride. Those WED guys were so great at throwing us into the story in a way where we felt we were really there or that it was happening to us. Not a passive frame for frame scene for scene retelling of the story. The difference between old school Fantasyland dark rides and the modern rides is the execution. They re all “book reports” to some extent

I’m still going with Hong Kong as the best version of this ride right now. The over use of screens to move the story forward in the Tokyo version doesn’t help. 12 Elsa animatronics and no exciting escape from the wolves? Just a Hans Betrayal on a screen? Lol. Frozen probably just isn’t good source material for a dark ride and yet soon we’ll have four around the world while IP like Aladdin has a spinner ride. The Wed guys also made such great use out of those intimate spaces and I always say it helps when dark rides are dark. A lot of newer ones aren’t dark enough.

In short it feels like we’re watching the movie on a ride vehicle and not on an adventure in Arendelle. This version kind of comes across as Soap Opera: The Ride.

Last edited:
In the Parks
No
I’m not feeling this Tokyo version of the Frozen ride. Those WED guys were so great at throwing us into the story in a way where we felt we were really there or that it was happening to us. Not a passive frame for frame scene for scene retelling of the story. The difference between old school Fantasyland dark rides and the modern rides is the execution. They re all “book reports” to some extent

I’m still going with Hong Kong as the best version of this ride right now. The over use of screens to move the story forward in the Tokyo version doesn’t help. 12 Elsa animatronics and no exciting escape from the wolves? Just a Hans Betrayal on a screen? Lol. Frozen probably just isn’t good source material for a dark ride and yet soon we’ll have four around the world while IP like Aladdin has a spinner ride. The Wed guys also made such great use out of those intimate spaces and I always say it helps when dark rides are dark. A lot of newer ones aren’t dark enough.

In short it feels like we’re watching the movie on a ride vehicle and not on an adventure in Arendelle. This version kind of comes across as Soap Opera: The Ride.
I think part of the reason this falls flat for me as well is that the story of Frozen just...isn't that good. I never liked it. I got into some cafeteria arguments back in high school about it. Everything would be ok if they would just have a conversation. Much like TBA, there's no real stakes in this ride, because there are no stakes in the story.

Consumer

Glad I'm not alone in my disinterest in this attraction. Rather disappointing, I must say. Reminds me a lot of the Beauty and the Beast ride. A technological marvel with no understanding of storytelling in a theme park setting. A Frozen ride needs to be taking on Anna's story as we pass through a winter countryside, get chased by wolves, encounter a giant snow monster, then get nearly killed by Hans. The ride doesn't need a snippet from every musical number.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom