The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

So we re taking a couple of newlyweds from Italy to Disneyland in a couple weeks. We re going to be about a group of 14 including a few young kids. They only have time for one day at the park.

Park hop or no park hop? I’m leaning no because we re a large slow moving group (even though some of the ladies and kids might break off) and there is so much to do at Disneyland anyway. But kind of also want them to experience a few things at DCA like RSR, Soarin, GOTG:MB and maybe Incredicoaster. I feel like a couple of these rides at DCA would probably be Some of their favorite rides. Soarin not being a fan favorite amongst more traditional Disneyland fans always seems to be a crowd favorite amongst casuals. RSR is a real Disney E ticket with huge scale and some thrills. Incredicoaster and GOTG:MB are not the creme da La creme as far as Disney attractions but they are sure to satisfy on thrill alone.

From experience, one day park hoppers are not really a great idea especially with a large group. But they re not from San Francisco. They re from Italy and may never come back here again. The same way that DCA feels lacking when you can’t park hop to DL, DL feels a little light on the thrills when you can park hop to DCA. The parks really compliment each other.
I'd say 100% no on the hopper in this case. Disneyland has more than enough to keep everyone occupied by itself for one day. I'm not sure if you've led big groups through parks before or not, but I thought it was difficult leading seven people/sets of interests/bladders/etc around Epcot years ago. It would be worse in a park with a lot more to do and a bigger group to keep happy.

If they have any sort of image about what they're going to get from Disneyland, it's going to come from the main park.

And even with the parks being across the street, adding another park adds expense and complexity in a way that not everyone is likely to be ok with (there's going to be somebody who runs out of stamina before everyone else, or that doesn't understand why you're moving around the park(s) so much and not just hitting everything as you come to them, etc).

I think in terms of thrills you have the mountains, Indy, Rise, and the simulators. Maybe not as thrilling as what's at DCA, but there's a decent selection nonetheless, and then if they want real thrills they have places like Gardaland or Mirabilandia that are theoretically accessible to them in Italy. I'm not sure what it's like in Italy specifically, but Soarin' variations-generically called Flying Theaters-are starting to pop up everywhere-I've done or seen them in places like Wisconsin Dells, the Mall of America, Branson, and Las Vegas and heard of them in many other places. They may not find Soarin' Over the World specifically, but they are spreading around Europe too. If there isn't one now, there probably will be in a few years.

Sometimes less really is more and this is one of those times IMO. Let them completely soak up one park instead of sampling two. And because DL has so much going on, it's unlikely you'll be hurting for things to do at any point.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'd say 100% no on the hopper in this case. Disneyland has more than enough to keep everyone occupied by itself for one day. I'm not sure if you've led big groups through parks before or not, but I thought it was difficult leading seven people/sets of interests/bladders/etc around Epcot years ago. It would be worse in a park with a lot more to do and a bigger group to keep happy.

If they have any sort of image about what they're going to get from Disneyland, it's going to come from the main park.

And even with the parks being across the street, adding another park adds expense and complexity in a way that not everyone is likely to be ok with (there's going to be somebody who runs out of stamina before everyone else, or that doesn't understand why you're moving around the park(s) so much and not just hitting everything as you come to them, etc).

I think in terms of thrills you have the mountains, Indy, Rise, and the simulators. Maybe not as thrilling as what's at DCA, but there's a decent selection nonetheless, and then if they want real thrills they have places like Gardaland or Mirabilandia that are theoretically accessible to them in Italy. I'm not sure what it's like in Italy specifically, but Soarin' variations-generically called Flying Theaters-are starting to pop up everywhere-I've done or seen them in places like Wisconsin Dells, the Mall of America, Branson, and Las Vegas and heard of them in many other places. They may not find Soarin' Over the World specifically, but they are spreading around Europe too. If there isn't one now, there probably will be in a few years.

Sometimes less really is more and this is one of those times IMO. Let them completely soak up one park instead of sampling two. And because DL has so much going on, it's unlikely you'll be hurting for things to do at any point.

You make good points and I agree. Disneyland it is. Let them enjoy a nicely paced day at Walt’s park. Because after all, if they never come back at least they got to experience Disneyland the right way. Which is more important than riding any ride at DCA.

mickEblu

Original Poster

And now I can plan a nice “long” lunch at Plaza Inn too

mickEblu

Original Poster
As someone who managed a group of 12 before in college, it's very difficult but not impossible to manage a large group park hopping, but everyone pretty much needs to be clear that we're moving quickly if they want the full DL experience. Sometimes that's not what people want, in which case it might be better to just set the expectation that it's gonna be a slow day; better someone experience DL at a slower pace and enjoy the parks than experience all the rides and get burnt out (though if they're coming from Italy maybe it is worth doing a go for broke Disney day).

Yeah I think I knew this was the right answer just wanted some affirmation. Interesting to hear other experienced peoples responses as well. Thank you.

mickEblu

Original Poster

AND you also reminded me that ROTR and Galxies Edge exist. Sometimes I legitimately forget. When I was running through the roster of headliners at the park I completely forgot about GE. Not to say ROTR isn’t a headliner. I just forget about it now and then. It’s like it hasn’t officially made into Disneyland yet in my mind.

Parteecia

So we re taking a couple of newlyweds from Italy to Disneyland in a couple weeks. We re going to be about a group of 14 including a few young kids. They only have time for one day at the park.

Park hop or no park hop? I’m leaning no because we re a large slow moving group (even though some of the ladies and kids might break off) and there is so much to do at Disneyland anyway. But kind of also want them to experience a few things at DCA like RSR, Soarin, GOTG:MB and maybe Incredicoaster. I feel like a couple of these rides at DCA would probably be Some of their favorite rides. Soarin not being a fan favorite amongst more traditional Disneyland fans always seems to be a crowd favorite amongst casuals. RSR is a real Disney E ticket with huge scale and some thrills. Incredicoaster and GOTG:MB are not the creme da La creme as far as Disney attractions but they are sure to satisfy on thrill alone.

From experience, one day park hoppers are not really a great idea especially with a large group. But they re not from San Francisco. They re from Italy and may never come back here again. The same way that DCA feels lacking when you can’t park hop to DL, DL feels a little light on the thrills when you can park hop to DCA. The parks really compliment each other.
That's tough because such a large group is bound to have different preferences, if you try to keep together. Maybe follow their lead as to what interests them?

My boyfriend's company had him take a visiting engineer from Mozambique (on purpose because they knew he hated the place). I did my tour guide bit starting at DL but the visitor spotted Mickey's Wheel of Death and wanted to go there. With no preconceived notions he loved DCA so much more than DL. I was slightly appalled but found out what he liked and did my best to steer him in the right direction.

SuddenStorm

Save the cost of a park hopper and use it towards a nice meal in the park, or a dining package for the fireworks?

With 14 people for one day I imagine y'all will be separating- and Disneyland really does have a ton to do to fill out a day.

Excited to hear how the trip goes.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Save the cost of a park hopper and use it towards a nice meal in the park, or a dining package for the fireworks?

With 14 people for one day I imagine y'all will be separating- and Disneyland really does have a ton to do to fill out a day.

Excited to hear how the trip goes.

Yea the ladies and younger kids will probably separate for a good Chunk of the day and do Fantaysland. We also happen to have my cousins 2 year old daughter who will be enjoying her first trip to Disneyland.

Probably no fireworks but I may leave that up to them. They do fireworks packages now? Yeah don’t really want to be stuck buying 14 dining packages or be the “host” that directs everyone to purchase their own. Lol. Disneyland has made it rough $$$ on us hosts taking casuals/newbies. Because we’re the “experts” that know and have the app installed and have Magic Key discounts.

No I got it, I have the app.”

“No I got it, it’s mobile order only.”

“No I got it. I get a discount. Please allow me to spend $275 on this lunch for a group of 10 so you can save $3.”

Last edited:

truecoat

Just remember, you go to the Blue Bayou for the "ambiance".

Blue Bayou.jpg

mickEblu

Original Poster
I will say the way the picture is framed is not doing the dish any favors as it highlights the couple pieces of unappetizing looking chicken and piece of steamed broccoli on the side. I’d like to see what it looked like before they dug in. Don’t get me wrong. It’s looks terrible and they need to do better but to me it just looks more bland and unappetizing. Not raw.

Last edited:

TP2000

It's been typically delightful here in La Jolla this week, but I guess there's a big hurricane out in Florida? And it's now traveling over Orlando and Disney World tonight? And they've closed all the WDW parks for two days because of it?

That's crummy. I hope they're okay out there! :oops:

tcool123

It's been typically delightful here in La Jolla this week, but I guess there's a big hurricane out in Florida? And it's now traveling over Orlando and Disney World tonight? And they've closed all the WDW parks for two days because of it?

That's crummy. I hope they're okay out there! :oops:
Hurricane Ian was just two mph from a Category 5 and made landfall in the Ft Myers area of Florida making it the fourth strongest storm to ever land in the US of all time.

The storm was supposed to enter through the Tampa Bay area and head to Orlando however by going through Ft Myers it shifted the storm by 131 miles and caught people by surprise as many had evacuated from Tampa area but not many left the Ft Myers area. Complete destruction in Southwest Florida: houses torn up, in some areas 18 feet of water from only storm surge not just the rain, no power or cell service, a death toll estimated to be over 100, millions without power, overall a disaster only comparable to Hurricane Andrew the last truly awful storm to hit Florida.

Heres some photos and videos from that portion of the state:

Over in Orlando its been mainly flooding and winds from 50 to 70 mph with isolated gusts in the 100s. Many without power, but not too bad comparatively.

However there’s still damage:

60B20691-4801-4249-A27A-F4F5381CF8DD.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom