The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mlayton144

Your right! It's been twenty years. I forgot about that. We'll have to load up on sea sick medicine.
Go for the Bonine a day before boarding. The eastern itinerary is in the unimpeded Atlantic Ocean for pretty much the whole cruise , the weather will decide but it’s typically a bit rougher than the Caribbean. Me and 2 kids were totally fine but wife got queezy outbound.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Thought I’d share some old Disneyland pictures of my grandparents and Grandpas brother and family. My second cousin shared these with me today…

Also who knew the Walrus was a walk around character? That’s my grandpa kissing the walrus and my grandma (my only living grandparent) next to him.

7E7A86D1-64F1-46F4-BA79-6458C6665962.jpeg
7E264EAE-6E3D-47EA-9B26-B8519011E434.jpeg
E96AC8C5-6C0C-42C7-AE26-DDC8324977B2.jpeg
DA8E8E08-2592-4A6F-BA33-A5662E307690.jpeg

PiratesMansion

Here’s another one of them with TL in all it’s glory. Wow original skyway buckets so pre 1965?

View attachment 669126

Is the yacht bar where TL Terrace is now? (It’ll always be TL Terrace to me. What’s that elevated platform to the right of them?
That appears to be where Tomorrowland Terrace is now, yes.
Isn't that Autopia to the right of them? Or am I turned around? Is that what was there then?
I think it is the Autopia; it would appear to square up with this photo I found on Daveland:

1664147610015.png

lazyboy97o

It also wasn't 90+ degrees for half the year back then.
People also didn’t own as many clothes and what they did own was often much more expensive. I remember listening to a lecture years ago about past visions of the future. The one part I remember is the discussion on fashion and clothing. The speaker was saying often people point to the ubiquity of jumpsuits as an example of a vision of the future that never happens. He argued that in fact this did happen, that the importance of the jumpsuits in past futurism was not the aesthetic of the jumpsuit but cheap, versatile, mass produced clothing. That’s exactly what we have today.

Last edited:

Phroobar

That's kind of like how past visions of the future had humanoid robots that would act like butlers to do the dishes or wash the clothes. They would do it by hand like a human would. Now we have machines that wash clothes or do the dishes instead of a robot.

mickEblu

Original Poster
So we re taking a couple of newlyweds from Italy to Disneyland in a couple weeks. We re going to be about a group of 14 including a few young kids. They only have time for one day at the park.

Park hop or no park hop? I’m leaning no because we re a large slow moving group (even though some of the ladies and kids might break off) and there is so much to do at Disneyland anyway. But kind of also want them to experience a few things at DCA like RSR, Soarin, GOTG:MB and maybe Incredicoaster. I feel like a couple of these rides at DCA would probably be Some of their favorite rides. Soarin not being a fan favorite amongst more traditional Disneyland fans always seems to be a crowd favorite amongst casuals. RSR is a real Disney E ticket with huge scale and some thrills. Incredicoaster and GOTG:MB are not the creme da La creme as far as Disney attractions but they are sure to satisfy on thrill alone.

From experience, one day park hoppers are not really a great idea especially with a large group. But they re not from San Francisco. They re from Italy and may never come back here again. The same way that DCA feels lacking when you can’t park hop to DL, DL feels a little light on the thrills when you can park hop to DCA. The parks really compliment each other.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
So we re taking a couple of newlyweds from Italy to Disneyland in a couple weeks. We re going to be about a group of 14 including a few young kids. They only have time for one day at the park.

Park hop or no park hop? I’m leaning no because we re a large slow moving group (even though some of the ladies and kids might break off) and there is so much to do at Disneyland anyway. But kind of also want them to experience a few things at DCA like RSR, Soarin, GOTG:MB and maybe Incredicoaster. I feel like a couple of these rides at DCA would probably be Some of their favorite rides. Soarin not being a fan favorite amongst more traditional Disneyland fans always seems to be a crowd favorite amongst casuals. RSR is a real Disney E ticket with huge scale and some thrills. Incredicoaster and GOTG:MB are not the creme da La creme as far as Disney attractions but they are sure to satisfy on thrill alone.

From experience, one day park hoppers are not really a great idea especially with a large group. But they re not from San Francisco. They re from Italy and may never come back here again. The same way that DCA feels lacking when you can’t park hop to DL, DL feels a little light on the thrills when you can park hop to DCA. The parks really compliment each other.
If it were me, I'd probably just stick to the full day at DL as it is hard enough to do everything there in one day. Which day are you going? I'll be in the parks the 11th and 12th.

waltography

As someone who managed a group of 12 before in college, it's very difficult but not impossible to manage a large group park hopping, but everyone pretty much needs to be clear that we're moving quickly if they want the full DL experience. Sometimes that's not what people want, in which case it might be better to just set the expectation that it's gonna be a slow day; better someone experience DL at a slower pace and enjoy the parks than experience all the rides and get burnt out (though if they're coming from Italy maybe it is worth doing a go for broke Disney day).

waltography

I got my first ride on Monsters After Dark of the year yesterday. What a great overlay, and the cast members are always super into it.

Would still gladly give up GotG for ToT any day, but can't say I don't enjoy the ride experience right now. It's too much fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom