The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

waltography

Is it just me or is Halloween season more busy than the Christmas season at Disneyland these days? By these days I mean the last few years. Also to clarify I mean average throughout the season. I know that last week of December is busier than any given week during the Halloween season.
I think a large part of it is the rising popularity of the Halloween parties. The pivot to DCA for the parties was really smart for them because Disneyland will be popular regardless of the party (the back half of the year in general is just lucrative for the park), so the crowds that descend on DCA are augmenting the daily attendance. I've never seen any park more busy than DCA during mix-in hours (except perhaps Disneyland during a 24 hour day!), but those Halloween parties are just brutal to the crowd flow and guest dynamics at the parks.

Add to it the broadening appeal of the Halloween party to teens and young adults instead of just families and a ride overlay that happens for half a day every day, and you've got a recipe for crowds galore.

PiratesMansion

Is it just me or is Halloween season more busy than the Christmas season at Disneyland these days? By these days I mean the last few years. Also to clarify I mean average throughout the season. I know that last week of December is busier than any given week during the Halloween season.
DLR has poured a lot of money into Halloween as of late, even if the primary beneficiary of that has been the party. New parade, new ride overlays, new WOC, etc. Even non-party guests got a "new" addition in that the previously upcharge Halloween fireworks are now free. And there's a lot of competition for the Halloween dollar in the area and the DCA party is still a relatively new event, so they can't skimp; at least, not yet.

By contrast, DLR Christmas offerings have been basically unchanged for a long, long time.

That undoubtedly is playing out in attendance to at least some degree.

Last edited:

TomboyJanet

One time I was waiting for the train in New Orleans Square and there were these really stoned guys there and they said "We can wait for this train until the meteor comes........love that meteor yep the meteor is coming" and their friend got so annoyed with their prattle that she left them there at the station

mickEblu

Original Poster
If a government or business requires vaccination without the option of a negative test its a political statement or form of coercion and not anything based in science. That goes for family functions too. We were disinvited from my wife’s Best friends wedding because her husband wants to protect his vaccinated “immunocomprimised” mom who goes to Disney World every month where vaccination status is not checked and people are walking around without masks. People have lost their mind and their ability to use common sense. We told them we respect their decision but also told them we re confused by their logic. Vaccinated people can carry the virus. A negative test (which we were willing to provide) would be a better form of protection for his mom or anyone else.

Parteecia

A negative test (which we were willing to provide) would be a better form of protection for his mom or anyone else.
I am sorry that this situation is upsetting but just as an fyi the test is quite fallible. Good for public health on a macro level, not so good on a personal basis:

"Researchers at John Hopkins University declared that the false negative ratio of RT-PCR test in patients infected with COVID-19 is approximately 1 in 5.5"

mickEblu

Original Poster
I am sorry that this situation is upsetting but just as an fyi the test is quite fallible. Good for public health on a macro level, not so good on a personal basis:
"Researchers at John Hopkins University declared that the false negative ratio of RT-PCR test in patients infected with COVID-19 is approximately 1 in 5.5"

I’m sure it’s fallible but if the point is to keep people with the virus out of an event or business I can’t see how it isn’t more effective than letting in vaccinated people in without a test.

Parteecia

I’m sure it’s fallible but if the point is to keep people with the virus out of an event or business I can’t see how it isn’t more effective than letting in vaccinated people in without a test.
Yes, it's complicated. Vaccines wane and tests give false negatives. We all find our personal risk tolerance levels and those in charge get to decide their requirements. The rest of us get to accede or not attend. When we throw the party we get to make the rules and ditto for our invitees choosing to agree or not go.

Last edited:

Parteecia

Now for a more sciencey reason to prefer vaccination to testing, which I've already shown fails once per 5.5 times. Short version is that vaccines and tests are not equal:

"In several studies of fully vaccinated health care workers—those more than two weeks past their second dose of either mRNA-based vaccine—the likelihood of having a symptomatic or asymptomatic infection was reduced by 80 to 90 percent, compared with those who were unvaccinated.

There has been good news, too, on the subject of viral load in breakthrough cases. Researchers in Israel studied vaccinated people who became infected. The viral load in these breakthrough cases was about three to four times lower than the viral load among infected people who were unvaccinated. Researchers in the U.K. reported a similar result. They also found that vaccinated people who became infected tested positive for about one week less than unvaccinated people."

Last edited:

waltography

Just came back from another trip to Disneyland today, some miscellaneous thoughts:
  • Blue Bayou was a wash. The addition of alcohol was a lateral move (but the Hurricane I had was great at least). The food simply isn't what it used to be; you're really paying for the atmosphere at this point, which is nice but not worth the cost. I'd rather spend the small difference and eat at Carthay, where the food and service are still pretty top notch.
  • I'm frustrated I couldn't catch the new Hawkeye stunt show at Avengers Campus - I assumed it was one of the Avengers Assemble showtimes but couldn't get a clear answer from any cast members. (Although looking at the show on YouTube now it's clear I should've watched for some light decor in the morning for the show...)
  • I don't think RSR was open at all in the time I was at DCA (1pm til 5). Made for very congested walkways/queues.
All in all, not the best trip. Ah well. I've got two more visits scheduled next month, so there's that.

CaptinEO

Just came back from another trip to Disneyland today, some miscellaneous thoughts:
  • Blue Bayou was a wash. The addition of alcohol was a lateral move (but the Hurricane I had was great at least). The food simply isn't what it used to be; you're really paying for the atmosphere at this point, which is nice but not worth the cost. I'd rather spend the small difference and eat at Carthay, where the food and service are still pretty top notch.
  • I'm frustrated I couldn't catch the new Hawkeye stunt show at Avengers Campus - I assumed it was one of the Avengers Assemble showtimes but couldn't get a clear answer from any cast members. (Although looking at the show on YouTube now it's clear I should've watched for some light decor in the morning for the show...)
  • I don't think RSR was open at all in the time I was at DCA (1pm til 5). Made for very congested walkways/queues.
All in all, not the best trip. Ah well. I've got two more visits scheduled next month, so there's that.
That's so sad to hear about Blue Bayou, food was amazing when we went last (2017 ).

Supreme Leader

Does anyone know if it's possible to change a name on a reservation? I'm suppose to go on the 1st with my friend but they can't make it so I wanted to switch the name on the reservation to my other friend.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Does anyone know why DL is randomly closing at 10pm instead of midnight this Thursday? I’m thinking about going but don’t want any surprises. Haha

mickEblu

Original Poster
After spending a week at WDW, I can safely say, Epcot, even in it's current form, is a more enjoyable full-day experience than DCA.

Fight me.

Interesting. Would you say World Showcase has mostly to do with that? How many nostalgia points do you think it’s getting, if any? Also do you think it’s more repeatable than DCA? Say you were an AP and they were at the same resort. Just comparing ride rosters, DCA seems like it has more repeat value but that obviously doesn’t tell the whole story.

Centauri Space Station

After spending a week at WDW, I can safely say, Epcot, even in it's current form, is a more enjoyable full-day experience than DCA.

Fight me.

Interesting. Would you say World Showcase has mostly to do with that? How many nostalgia points do you think it’s getting, if any? Also do you think it’s more repeatable than DCA? Say you were an AP and they were at the same resort. Just comparing ride rosters, DCA seems like it has more repeat value but that obviously doesn’t tell the whole story.
Absolutely agree. Epcot has 10 rides but tons of other shows, museums, dining, transportation, etc. There’s enough food options to eat at Epcot for a month and never repeat, the countries have lots of intricate shops and exhibits, plus entertainment currently for festival of the holidays. You can spend hours riding spaceship earth and living with the Land and still see new details. Seabase and The Land you can spend hours in the pavilions and now with Space 220 you will probably wanna spend hours in that too. Test Track is always fun and Frozen is a cute ride despite questionable theme. For families Imagination, Nemo, Mexico, and Ratatouille are great.

truecoat

Fight me.

I'd choose DCA even in it's present form. I appreciate Epcot and was there on Oct 1st but a lot of it is tired and run down. Most of the entertainment and atmosphere is still missing, stores don't open until 1pm in some countries. The Morocco area is just empty. The Living Seas and Imagination pavilions should be either entirely replaced or gutted.

Even with these faults and many others, I enjoyed my visit but I'd still choose to go to DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom