The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Don't tell Bob Iger, but Elon Musk just put on quite a show this evening across Southern California.

Reports coming in on X show an incredible Starlink launch just after sundown this evening on a SpaceX Falcon launching from Vandenburgh Space Force Base. It's trajectory was towards the Southern Hemisphere and so it went right over Disneyland too! But sure, let's keep Innoventions and the Starcade empty and closed for another five years... :rolleyes:

You do realize Elon is not the only Billionaire producing rockets or plan to go to the Moon, Mars, and beyond.

For example Nasa last year selected Blue Origin's rocket to go to Mars. Blue Horizon is Jeff Bezos' company.

TP2000

You do realize Elon is not the only Billionaire producing rockets or plan to go to the Moon, Mars, and beyond.

For example Nasa last year selected Blue Horizon's rocket to go to Mars. Blue Horizon is Jeff Bezos' company.

Oh? Does he ever launch rockets over Disneyland from VSFB?

I'm an avid Amazon Prime fan, so I'd love to see the launch schedule.

TP2000

They launch from Texas as far as I know, and its Mars mission is scheduled to launch I believe in August.

Pity.

I just Googled (do they have rockets too?), and it seems Blue Origin has only two (2) test launches scheduled for 2024. In August and December, both from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station.

In calendar year 2024, SpaceX is launching over 70 different rockets (Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Starship) from 3 locations. A couple dozen of the SpaceX launches left in '24 are from Vandenburgh Space Force Base, and will likely be seen from Disneyland. It appears there is another Vandeburgh launch of a SpaceX Starlink mission on a Falcon 9 later this month.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pity.

I just Googled (do they have rockets too?), and it seems Blue Origin has only two (2) test launches scheduled for 2024. In August and December, both from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station.

In calendar year 2024, SpaceX is launching over 70 different rockets (Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Starship) from 3 locations. A couple dozen of the SpaceX launches left in '24 are from Vandenburgh Space Force Base, and will likely be seen from Disneyland. It appears there is another Vandeburgh launch of a SpaceX Starlink mission on a Falcon 9 later this month.

The point was that Elon and SpaceX isn’t the only one trying to innovate here for future space travel. Other companies are too and have partnered with NASA, which is important here as it’s going to be through competition that leads to space travel beyond Mars in our life time (well some of us anyways).

And back on TL, I’m actually thinking any future redo if its to show space travel shouldn’t be sponsored so as to have the most flexibly and not just be an advertisement.

TP2000

The point was that Elon and SpaceX isn’t the only one trying to innovate here for future space travel. Other companies are too and have partnered with NASA, which is important here as it’s going to be through competition that leads to space travel beyond Mars in our life time (well some of us anyways).

As I read tonight, the Bezos venture is nowhere near the consistency and profitability of SpaceX. But you are right in that free market capitalism will always be the most efficient way to deliver a service or consumer good.

The Space Race made sense 60 years ago, because we were in a fight with the godless and evil Soviets. And thank God that we won that race, not just in space in the 1960's, but everywhere by 1990.

That said, if I were going to pick a company to demonstrate success in space, SpaceX and their string of hits and highlights in the past decade would be my choice. I had to go to Google to learn about Blue Origin and the Bezos plan behind it; it's rarely talked about or mentioned. Probably because they don't shoot rockets into space twice per month like SpaceX.

And back on TL, I’m actually thinking any future redo if its to show space travel shouldn’t be sponsored so as to have the most flexibly and not just be an advertisement.

Walt would hate that. Why should Disney pay for everything when you could get SpaceX to help foot the bill? Just like the companies who helped pay for the last true New Tomorrowland; Coca-Cola, and Ma Bell, and Monsanto, and Goodyear, and General Electric, and McDonnell-Douglas, and Atlantic Richfield, and General Dynamics.

TL.jpg

TP2000

Speaking of an optimistic future led by American free enterprise...

I've been meaning to share this find from YouTube. It's in black and white, and its silent, but the clarity is stunning. And the visuals of a visit to the New Tomorrowland on opening day in 1967 are almost surreal.

And who needs sound when as Disneyland geeks we already know all the Sherman Brothers corporate theme songs? Just hum along when you need to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom