The Merch Alert Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
so you only collect DISNEYLAND RIDE POPS or do you also collect other POPS figures?

Only Disneyland ride POPs. I’ve also never opened any of the boxes and felt one in my hand. I’m not crazy about the style of them for the same reasons you pointed out but I like the fact they re Disney parks exclusives and showcase the classic attraction characters / vehicles. I wish Disney would start releasing better merch representing their attractions. I feel their is a missed opportunity there. An attraction character riding his own ride just does it for me.

With that said it’s much easier and profitable for them to just sell the same generic junk.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Is it just me or was the merch much better at Disney parks in the late 90s through mid 2000s? The one thing the Pressler regime did right.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Can one of you who does collect these POPS explain to me why you collect them or this fad? I seriously do not get why these POPS figures are soo popular. I really want to understand. To me it is just this generation's BEANINE BABIES but less valuable. To me the pop figures look ugly, all of them, even that HM one, and I hate the over stylized way they the head big and the eyes look. I just don't get it. I get collecting collectables. I have collectables. I get that part. but why these? what is soo collectable about these? they are just cheap plastic that do not look good or see will balance well with the size of the heads. Most of the time they do not even look remotely like the pulp culture icon they are supposed to be. I really want to understand. I got like 2 this past Christmas and I have no use for them. still in their boxes collecting dust somewhere in my closet.
LONG POST ALERT:

Hmm...you've asked a lot of questions, and I want to address them, but I want to start with one of your last statements.
"I got like 2 this past Christmas and I have no use for them" - to that, I'd say, of course you don't. True collectibles don't really have a "use" beyond themselves. They either sit in their original boxes, or are put out somewhere for decoration and display. The "use" you get from them is purely in your own enjoyment.

Now, a backstory. I started out much in the same place you are. I had a roommate back in 2014 who had a TON of POPs and would arrange them just so on the the TV stand. He just seemed to keep getting new ones all the time (mind you, this is a guy who, at one point, had over 900 Blu-Rays). I thought they looked neat, but I just couldn't see myself ever getting into them, knowing that there were just too many.

Fast forward a few year to, of all places, last year's D23. I was browsing the merch section of the floor and stumbled upon one of the POP vendors and decided to stop and have a look around. What I found was myself going "oh man, that's cool...whoa, no way! This character? Dang...I could spend so much money here..." I allowed myself to buy one (The Log Lady from Twin Peaks) and that kind of got me hooked.

Now you might be asking, what changed in those 3 years? Well, as I've gotten older I've really started realizing I have a love for toys. I've taken to buying back some in-box versions of my old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and just generally collecting more fun and obscure action figures (like Uncle Owen's Charred Remains from Star Wars). When I encountered the POPs with those new eyes, I started thinking, "Wow, how cool is it to have a figure of _________ character?" People like the Log Lady from Twin Peaks or The Rocketeer or the Lucky Charms Leprechaun. I kind of took my love for in-box action figures and turned it over to the POPs, which I view as "action figures" in a way.

For me, they represent something I have an emotional attachment to (as all collectibles do). But what does it for me is the sheer variety. Funko continually astounds me with some of their release choices. Just last month they released a figure of The Noid from Domino's ads in the 90s. I was the Noid a few years ago for Halloween. The fact that someone thought to make a toy about him in 2018 blew my mind. I had to have it. This is what I believe seperates them from Beanie Babies and certainly doesn't make them a "fad". POPs have been around since 2010 and show no signs of slowing down.

For the record, its 100% fine that you don't see the appeal of them. A lot of people don't. But people also go to extremes with collecting. I've seen the "darker" side of collecting POP and frankly want no part in that. I just collect what I love and leave it at that.

If you (or anyone) is interested in actually knowing more about Funko as a company, there's a documentary on Netflix you should check out.

mickEblu

Original Poster
LONG POST ALERT:

Hmm...you've asked a lot of questions, and I want to address them, but I want to start with one of your last statements.
"I got like 2 this past Christmas and I have no use for them" - to that, I'd say, of course you don't. True collectibles don't really have a "use" beyond themselves. They either sit in their original boxes, or are put out somewhere for decoration and display. The "use" you get from them is purely in your own enjoyment.

Now, a backstory. I started out much in the same place you are. I had a roommate back in 2014 who had a TON of POPs and would arrange them just so on the the TV stand. He just seemed to keep getting new ones all the time (mind you, this is a guy who, at one point, had over 900 Blu-Rays). I thought they looked neat, but I just couldn't see myself ever getting into them, knowing that there were just too many.

Fast forward a few year to, of all places, last year's D23. I was browsing the merch section of the floor and stumbled upon one of the POP vendors and decided to stop and have a look around. What I found was myself going "oh man, that's cool...whoa, no way! This character? Dang...I could spend so much money here..." I allowed myself to buy one (The Log Lady from Twin Peaks) and that kind of got me hooked.

Now you might be asking, what changed in those 3 years? Well, as I've gotten older I've really started realizing I have a love for toys. I've taken to buying back some in-box versions of my old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and just generally collecting more fun and obscure action figures (like Uncle Owen's Charred Remains from Star Wars). When I encountered the POPs with those new eyes, I started thinking, "Wow, how cool is it to have a figure of _________ character?" People like the Log Lady from Twin Peaks or The Rocketeer or the Lucky Charms Leprechaun. I kind of took my love for in-box action figures and turned it over to the POPs, which I view as "action figures" in a way.

For me, they represent something I have an emotional attachment to (as all collectibles do). But what does it for me is the sheer variety. Funko continually astounds me with some of their release choices. Just last month they released a figure of The Noid from Domino's ads in the 90s. I was the Noid a few years ago for Halloween. The fact that someone thought to make a toy about him in 2018 blew my mind. I had to have it. This is what I believe seperates them from Beanie Babies and certainly doesn't make them a "fad". POPs have been around since 2010 and show no signs of slowing down.

For the record, its 100% fine that you don't see the appeal of them. A lot of people don't. But people also go to extremes with collecting. I've seen the "darker" side of collecting POP and frankly want no part in that. I just collect what I love and leave it at that.

If you (or anyone) is interested in actually knowing more about Funko as a company, there's a documentary on Netflix you should check out.

I’m still waiting for some Return to Oz or Willow characters.

mickEblu

Original Poster
LONG POST ALERT:

And you hit the nail on the head. Where else can I get some Judge Doom or Smarty Boss Weasel merch in 2018?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Only Disneyland ride POPs. I’ve also never opened any of the boxes and felt one in my hand. I’m not crazy about the style of them for the same reasons you pointed out but I like the fact they re Disney parks exclusives and showcase the classic attraction characters / vehicles. I wish Disney would start releasing better merch representing their attractions. I feel their is a missed opportunity there. An attraction character riding his own ride just does it for me.

With that said it’s much easier and profitable for them to just sell the same generic junk.
I can appreciate where you are coming from, but I just do not get this whole POPS fad.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

LONG POST ALERT:

I disagree that collectibles don't have a use. They do. you display them. the serve a function. you display collectibles as something you are proud of and want people to see and have a conversation about. I have no use for FUNKO POPS. I would never want to display one in box or out. Like I said the ones I did get as gifts are just taking up closet space and if I came across them again, I would probably just throw them away. I appreciate where you are coming from and appreciate why you personally started to collect them. but to me the whole making a 2018 toy out of an obscure character or show or comic book or whatever else just reeks of desperation to be cool and pray upon nostalgia so they can get someone to spend money. I disagree, these are absolutely a fad. I guarantee you in 10 years no one will be collecting these things and they will no longer be made and if they are made it will be in smaller numbers. To me they are just the latest in long line of fads such as POGS and BEANIE BABIES, POKEMON CARDS, ETC... real collectibles stand the test of time, these will not. There is no enjoyment for me in them.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I disagree that collectibles don't have a use. They do. you display them. the serve a function. you display collectibles as something you are proud of and want people to see and have a conversation about. I have no use for FUNKO POPS. I would never want to display one in box or out. Like I said the ones I did get as gifts are just taking up closet space and if I came across them again, I would probably just throw them away. I appreciate where you are coming from and appreciate why you personally started to collect them. but to me the whole making a 2018 toy out of an obscure character or show or comic book or whatever else just reeks of desperation to be cool and pray upon nostalgia so they can get someone to spend money. I disagree, these are absolutely a fad. I guarantee you in 10 years no one will be collecting these things and they will no longer be made and if they are made it will be in smaller numbers. To me they are just the latest in long line of fads such as POGS and BEANIE BABIES, POKEMON CARDS, ETC... real collectibles stand the test of time, these will not. There is no enjoyment for me in them. but I better understand now how people keep getting duped into buying them.

Relax Dude

mickEblu

Original Poster
oh I am relaxed. I am not shouting. I appreciate those who shared their reasons why they collect, I was just sharing why I don't.

Nah. You used a couple choice words. We took the time to answer your question and you respond by saying “now you know how people get duped.” It’s all good. I don’t know you and your opinion doesn’t matter to me. You just displayed a lack of etiquette with that post and I’ll probably just avoid you in the future.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I disagree that collectibles don't have a use. They do. you display them. the serve a function. you display collectibles as something you are proud of and want people to see and have a conversation about. I have no use for FUNKO POPS. I would never want to display one in box or out. Like I said the ones I did get as gifts are just taking up closet space and if I came across them again, I would probably just throw them away. I appreciate where you are coming from and appreciate why you personally started to collect them. but to me the whole making a 2018 toy out of an obscure character or show or comic book or whatever else just reeks of desperation to be cool and pray upon nostalgia so they can get someone to spend money. I disagree, these are absolutely a fad. I guarantee you in 10 years no one will be collecting these things and they will no longer be made and if they are made it will be in smaller numbers. To me they are just the latest in long line of fads such as POGS and BEANIE BABIES, POKEMON CARDS, ETC... real collectibles stand the test of time, these will not. There is no enjoyment for me in them. but I better understand now how people keep getting duped into buying them.

Collecting the Funko Pops are not something that appeals to me, but I understand why people collect them. For you to label someone that does collect them that they "reeks of desperation to be cool" and "people keep getting duped into buying them" is not fair and honestly quite insulting to those that do.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Nah. You used a couple choice words. We took the time to answer your question and you respond by saying “now you know how people get duped.” It’s all good. I don’t know you and your opinion doesn’t matter to me. You just displayed a lack of etiquette with that post and I’ll probably just avoid you in the future.
and I appreciate your answer. I never said you or the other poster were duped or being duped. you clearly explained your reasons. I was explaining the general public at large. I did not mean any offense towards you.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Collecting the Funko Pops are not something that appeals to me, but I understand why people collect them. For you to label someone that does collect them that they "reeks of desperation to be cool" and "people keep getting duped into buying them" is not fair and honestly quite insulting to those that do.
My 'reeks of desperation" comment was about the company who makes the POPS not those who are buying them. it came of desperate as away to get people to buy their product. and the duped comment I stand behind FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC AT LARGE it does not relate to the two nice posters who clearly specified why they collect which I stated previously I appreciated their point of views on why they personally collect and meant no disrespect to them personally or meant to insult them. I meant it in a general term not pertaining to those two individuals. I apologize if I did not clarify better in my responses. I did not mean to insult them. again the general public can be like sheep and followers and be following the fad is what my 'being duped' comment related to. I meant no insult to them personally

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

in fact to show I meant no ill will or anything I removed the comment from my original reply. again I am new here so I don't wish to upset fellow posters or one up them or anything. I apologize in my choice of words but again appreciate the two individuals who responded. I just want to do the right thing here on the boards

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My 'reeks of desperation" comment was about the company who makes the POPS not those who are buying them. it came of desperate as away to get people to buy their product. and the duped comment I stand behind except the two nice posters who clearly specified why they collect which I stated previously I appreciated their point of views on why they personally collect and meant no disprect to them personally or meant to insult them. I meant it in a general term not pertaining to those two individuals.

I understand that was not your intention, but wording matters. I'm not a collector of Funko, but even I felt offended by your post. Just something to think about.

Anyways, have a good night.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I understand that was not your intention, but wording matters. I'm not a collector of Funko, but even I felt offended by your post. Just something to think about.

Anyways, have a good night.
and that is why I deleted the comment so it won't offend anyone again or misrepresent the point I meant to get across. again if I offened you I sincerely apologize, not my intention. I meant the comment in general terms and will do my best to be more careful with my wording in the future. Have a good evening as well.

TROR

Disney doesn't make good ball caps anymore so I bought this sexy thing on eBay

s-l500.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom