The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh vs The Seas with Nemo & Friends

Which is the better ride?

• Total voters

Sbk1234

Living Seas was much better prior to Nemo. Toad was messed but after riding it in DL after riding WDW Pooh, it was the right move. FTR DL pooh is way better than MKs.
I agree with your points on Living Seas and Toad, but I definately feel that WDW's Pooh is far superior. Funny how people look at the same attractions so differently.

correcaminos

I agree with your points on Living Seas and Toad, but I definately feel that WDW's Pooh is far superior. Funny how people look at the same attractions so differently.
I was probably just pleasantly surprised with the queue and the symbolism of going into the woods. I had ridden WDWs first though so maybe the change of pace was welcome? Who knows.

Sbk1234

I was probably just pleasantly surprised with the queue and the symbolism of going into the woods. I had ridden WDWs first though so maybe the change of pace was welcome? Who knows.
I do find Disneyland's queue simply stunning, and to me that's one of the most tranquil parts of the park. I just find the ride inside somewhat lacking. It's also possible that I'm biased since they got rid of Country Bears (which I LOVED) to put it in.

correcaminos

I do find Disneyland's queue simply stunning, and to me that's one of the most tranquil parts of the park. I just find the ride inside somewhat lacking. It's also possible that I'm biased since they got rid of Country Bears (which I LOVED) to put it in.
Always interesting how rides hit people differently. Neither are bad to me though really. And I totally agree, it was one of the most tranquil parts of the park. I kind of really enjoyed that part.

Brer Panther

Call me overly sensitive; I have a hard time getting over how the Nemo ride starts with Nemo intentionally hiding while Marlin panics. I guess I'm supposed to find it silly, but it's just butchering the characters to me.

Then the rest of the ride is just a montage of moments that invoked a variety of emotions in the movie but here do none of that.

Pooh's a montage, too, but it's much closer to the actual feel of the movie, to me. I started listing a few effects I particularly liked and realized I was just going through every scene, so, definitely Pooh.
I think there are two reasons why Pooh works better as a "book report" than Nemo does (though Nemo technically isn't a "book report" but rather a "sequel that rehashes the movie" a la Frozen Ever After).

First off, it's easier to adapt a featurette into a dark ride than it is a movie. Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day has a more simple plot than Finding Nemo, and the ride's use of a narrator and storybook pages help fill in the gaps. I think this is the same problem with Disneyland's Monsters Inc ride - the film's plot is really complex, and it doesn't translate super well into a "book report" dark ride.

Number two, Pooh does more to actually involve riders in the story. Gopher and Tigger actually talk to us, we get to bounce through the forest with Tigger and float around in the Floody Place... heck, it makes no sense for us to somehow travel into Pooh's dream about Heffalumps and Woozles, but nobody cares because it makes for a great dark ride scene. Being a "bus bar" as opposed to an Omnimover helps, as it allows the vehicle to actually travel through the scenes rather than just have the scenes play out in front of them a la Nemo.

kalel8145

I think there are two reasons why Pooh works better as a "book report" than Nemo does (though Nemo technically isn't a "book report" but rather a "sequel that rehashes the movie" a la Frozen Ever After).

First off, it's easier to adapt a featurette into a dark ride than it is a movie. Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day has a more simple plot than Finding Nemo, and the ride's use of a narrator and storybook pages help fill in the gaps. I think this is the same problem with Disneyland's Monsters Inc ride - the film's plot is really complex, and it doesn't translate super well into a "book report" dark ride.

Number two, Pooh does more to actually involve riders in the story. Gopher and Tigger actually talk to us, we get to bounce through the forest with Tigger and float around in the Floody Place... heck, it makes no sense for us to somehow travel into Pooh's dream about Heffalumps and Woozles, but nobody cares because it makes for a great dark ride scene. Being a "bus bar" as opposed to an Omnimover helps, as it allows the vehicle to actually travel through the scenes rather than just have the scenes play out in front of them a la Nemo.
Very well stated.

Twirlnhurl

FTR DL pooh is way better than MKs.
My wife also prefers the DL version of Pooh. That version has some things really going for it: the station and location (wouldn't work in MK, but in DL it works great), a slightly less cramped show building, and shorter lines. But you are the only other person I've heard of who feels that way.

Personally it bothers me that in DL the ride vehicle starts bouncing with Tigger an doesn't stop until the end, but they don't do the (much better) floating movement later in the ride.

Both rides are solid second-tier rides, however.

The Seas with Nemo is ok, but I don't like how bad the jelly fish look, and the EAC scene always has projectors out of alignment. But the finale scene is good, so with the short lines I probably ride it more often than Pooh.

LittleMerman

They're so different but I voted for Pooh! I love the classic dark rides. It's just so cute.

Nemo is fun too - it feels like a longer attraction and I love seeing the real animals.

Brer Panther

Personally it bothers me that in DL the ride vehicle starts bouncing with Tigger an doesn't stop until the end, but they don't do the (much better) floating movement later in the ride.
I thought the Disneyland version did the floating movement but didn't do the bouncing with Tigger thing (their version of the Tigger scene feels like an afterthought, honestly - it's awkwardly sandwiched in between the rain scene and Pooh's house and only has Tigger pop out at you twice).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom