The Mandalorian

sedati

Mark Hamill is a great Luke, but Mark Hamil has never been aligned with Luke's journey. Watch him talk about any of the movies and he talks about what he thought should happen to Luke, none of which did. He wanted Luke to join Vader- how's that for hopeful good feelings? You could say his comments in this new Gallery episode are demeaning what Lucas mapped out- "Like watching James Bond spend three movies to become 007 then that's it."

Professortango1

Yes, of course there is nostalgia in the sequel trilogy. I've never said different. Why do you think force awakens did over 2 billion? Did you see all the press stuff where Mark was saying he fundamentally disagreed with Rians vision of Luke? The Mandolorian had nostalgia coupled with great respect for what came before. The sequels, not so much. If you think the reason people are upset with the sequels is lack of nostalgia, you haven't been listening. A few great nostalgia moments, doesn't make a great trilogy.
People were just mad because the sequel trilogies were not like the fan fic books they read when they were younger. That Luke was a flawed and interesting character and not Space Jesus.

Robbiem

If anything nostalgia is what killed Disney Star Wars. The Force Awakens was basically a nostalgic rehash of the original movie, Last Jedi purposefully subverted nostalgia with Luke‘s story and then played on it with the Hoth style action scenes. Rise then reacted to Jedi and became a nostalgia overload - bring back Lando and Palapatine, have ewok cameos.

Like them or not the prequels tried to do something different- they managed much better to integrate nostalgia with story and something new. Jango Fett for example is a key part of Attack of the Clones rather than popping up randomly along the journey for the sake of being there

erasure fan1

If anything nostalgia is what killed Disney Star Wars.
I think story and how nostalgia was implemented was at the root of Disney star wars problems. Nostalgia is great. I'd argue in a franchise like star wars it is absolutely needed. The problem Disney ran into was this. Nostalgia without a compelling thought out story is hollow. Disney was so eager to usher in Rey, Poe and Finn, that they forgot to write a compelling story that honored what came before it.

Robbiem

I think story and how nostalgia was implemented was at the root of Disney star wars problems. Nostalgia is great. I'd argue in a franchise like star wars it is absolutely needed. The problem Disney ran into was this. Nostalgia without a compelling thought out story is hollow. Disney was so eager to usher in Rey, Poe and Finn, that they forgot to write a compelling story that honored what came before it.
This is what I was trying to say - you've put it much better

jpinkc

I thought the new trilogy was very weak compared to the Originals. The prequels started off bad but got stronger. Now on to Mando, has anyone else seen something about it ending after season 3?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I thought the new trilogy was very weak compared to the Originals. The prequels started off bad but got stronger. Now on to Mando, has anyone else seen something about it ending after season 3?
That is the current rumor that has made the rounds through every blogger, YouTube channel, or entertainment news source on the planet.

No idea if it has any legs, but it would not surprise me if it is true as most Disney+ shows seem to only have a 1-2 season life span.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Now the rumor mill has it as a title change after season 3.

Lucasfilm will Reportedly Change The Mandalorian's Title After Season 4

salttruck.gif

BubbaisSleep

That is the current rumor that has made the rounds through every blogger, YouTube channel, or entertainment news source on the planet.

No idea if it has any legs, but it would not surprise me if it is true as most Disney+ shows seem to only have a 1-2 season life span.
The main actor also is staring on the Last of Us is probably putting a strain on his free time/effort. But I hope Pedro can still commit to both.
If anything nostalgia is what killed Disney Star Wars. The Force Awakens was basically a nostalgic rehash of the original movie, Last Jedi purposefully subverted nostalgia with Luke‘s story and then played on it with the Hoth style action scenes. Rise then reacted to Jedi and became a nostalgia overload - bring back Lando and Palapatine, have ewok cameos.

Like them or not the prequels tried to do something different- they managed much better to integrate nostalgia with story and something new. Jango Fett for example is a key part of Attack of the Clones rather than popping up randomly along the journey for the sake of being there
You summed up exactly how I felt about the trilogy. I was pretty bored during Ep.7 because it was a predictable rehash, sadly even Han's death was so obvious and underwhelming. I actually like TLJ but only because they actually did something different with that movie and they surprised me a bit, despite Luke's story being disappointing. TLJ also feels like a separate movie from the trilogy and overall hurt the other two movies as it almost felt like we didn't need a third movie when it ended. Leading into Episode 9 which was just random nostalgia and a plot that made it clear this trilogy wasn't planned at all. Episodes 1-3 had a clear objective throughout the movies and I feel like that helped people appreciate the movies over time once we saw the whole product.

Screamface

Episodes 1-3 had a clear objective throughout the movies and I feel like that helped people appreciate the movies over time once we saw the whole product.

Even as they were coming out one by one, you could appreciate the films despite their flaws. They were creatively dense. I had books that detailed the props, the designs, the costumes, characters and the ships etc for Episode 1. That I would flick through them, studying the images and it would trigger my imagination. I severely doubt any of that kind of stuff went on for the sequels. They were creatively devoid.

We've all seen the comparisons of the sequel aliens versus the prequels. The prequels had beautiful worlds, which were unique and new. The sequels just went, "desert planet" and used rejected concept art from the originals for the look.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Christopher Lloyd is adding another iconic sci-fi franchise to his storied career.

The Back to the Future actor is on the call sheet for The Mandalorian, the Disney+ Star Wars show that is currently filming its third season in Southern California.

Character details for his role are being kept locked in the trunk of a DeLorean, but it has been described as guest-starring in nature. Lucasfilm could not be reached for comment."

JAB

"Christopher Lloyd is adding another iconic sci-fi franchise to his storied career.

The Back to the Future actor is on the call sheet for The Mandalorian, the Disney+ Star Wars show that is currently filming its third season in Southern California.

Character details for his role are being kept locked in the trunk of a DeLorean, but it has been described as guest-starring in nature. Lucasfilm could not be reached for comment."

So the man with a DeLorean is joining the Mandalorian? 😏

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom