The Mandalorian

Wendy Pleakley

Does it remind anyone else of the serials Disney used to have, like Zorro? With the shorter format, I was reminded of the episodes I used to watch.

It's a stated goal of the filmmakers.

I like the short episodes and the weekly release schedule. For one, we can watch it at a normal pace, discuss it, and not feel obligated to binge it before everyone is talking about everything that happens.

It's also a better way to watch a slower paced Star Wars story. If people could binge this, or it was edited to movie length, it would make for a tedious two plus hours. It's meant to be absorbed in small doses, the format works for it.

“It’s a return back to the roots, in many ways, of the Saturday afternoon serial films that my parent’s generation grew up with that had cliffhangers, adventure, and drawing from that style of storytelling lends itself really well to what we’re tackling here.”

‘The Mandalorian’: Jon Favreau and Pedro Pascal on Creating a Western on Steroids

Cosmic Commando

“Pascal adds that Favreau and the other producers were never committed to a specific composition for each episode. One will likely feel “much more intimate,” while the next will be “epic and 15 pages longer than the previous one.”

This is exciting. I don’t mind the short episodes so far at all, but I’d be disappointed if they were all really short.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

erasure fan1

I don’t mind the short episodes so far at all, but I’d be disappointed if they were all really short.
I agree. Short isn't necessarily bad. One of the reasons I got away from most TV, is all the filler. So if shorter episodes is what makes the best impact, thats great. I would hope they have a few key episodes as well, like the finale, that are longer. The reason episode length is even a question, is everyone seems to be really liking it and wants more. And thats a good thing.

Incomudro

I agree. Short isn't necessarily bad. One of the reasons I got away from most TV, is all the filler. So if shorter episodes is what makes the best impact, thats great. I would hope they have a few key episodes as well, like the finale, that are longer. The reason episode length is even a question, is everyone seems to be really liking it and wants more. And thats a good thing.

I've got to say, the short length of these shows has allowed me to make time to watch them more easily.
For so many series, I don't get involved - simply because I don't have the time to invest.
Come 9:00 pm, I'm more ready for bed than ready to watch a one hour show.

Cosmic Commando

Draw whatever narrative or runtime conclusions you want from this information, but the number of episodes screened at the Hollywood premiere was

(no spoilers other than a number just spoilered out of an abundance of caution)

michmousefan

Just my opinion, but I would rather them focus on telling a quality story rather than focusing on length for length-sake. So many shows go on and on with boring filler. If that's what would make the episodes longer, they can go without it. I don't mind a long one if it's good, but being long doesn't make it good.
Yep, so many of the Marvel/Nextlix series like Daredevil and Jessica Jones had some great content but the Netflix folks seemed to insist on 12-13 episode seasons, which sometimes would lead to a couple of episodes that really didn't have much purpose other than to fluff out a season-long storyline. Several of those should have went to seven-eight episodes. Glad that it seems like that bloat is so far not a concern with The Mandalorian.

Anders Limpar

I would hope that by this show's episode VIII that some of our expectations are subverted.
But I'm glad you all seem open to still enjoy new Star Wars. It is however easy for me to imagine that if they had made the Mandalorian female, the wall of nitpicky screeds this very same episode would earn here.

You don't know anything about anyone on this board and yet you are comfortable painting with a broad brush and throwing out sexist accusations.

Meanwhile, some of us count Rogue One as our favorite Disney Star Wars film which had (wait for it), a female as its main character.

Jog on with your sexist accusations.

Mike S

Original Poster
You don't know anything about anyone on this board and yet you are comfortable painting with a broad brush and throwing out sexist accusations.

Meanwhile, some of us count Rogue One as our favorite Disney Star Wars film which had (wait for it), a female as its main character.

Honestly I would’ve taken that whole squad from Rogue One as the new main heroes of the sequel trilogy. They were sooooooooo much more interesting as characters.

Tanna Eros

The Mandalorian reminded me of Ripley and Newt in Aliens.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

What you’re seeing is “angry Disney defender troll backlash”...been growing since KK’s mancub Director pooched it. Nobody wants to admit the salty OT fans were right...and more than ever WE were. When you come out of Star Wars confused...it’s a bad Star Wars. The feeling after Vader said “I am your father” was tingling/visceral emotion...that is Star Wars. Not “how clever...can’t wait to figure out later what the hell I saw??”

We all lived that in the phantom menace. It sucked.

Get ready: a lot of the angry ST troll defenders are gonna be very vocal in about a month. Shouting above the laughter unless they pulled an editing miracle.
Honestly I would’ve taken that whole squad from Rogue One as the new main heroes of the sequel trilogy. They were sooooooooo much more interesting as characters.
Probably why Disney is shooting a new show with Diego Luna...by far the best newly introduced character of the Disney era...

Along with K2SO...makes the “heroes” from the ST look like the bland nonsense they...well...ARE.

But can’t wait to see Rey pass Silver Charm On her horse on the back stretch of the Star Destroyer Belmont 😳

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

I’m not getting much out of this show, so far.

The narrative has been largely straightforward and predictable, the main character has no discernible personality, and the second episode was largely filler, outside of one specific moment, which again, was predictable.

There were 2-3 fun action secquences, though, so that’s a plus.

I’m sure it’ll kick in, but this needs more substance. It’s mostly surface level action/characterization thus far.

Tanna Eros

I’m not getting much out of this show, so far.

The narrative has been largely straightforward and predictable, the main character has no discernible personality, and the second episode was largely filler, outside of one specific moment, which again, was predictable.

There were 2-3 fun action secquences, though, so that’s a plus.

I’m sure it’ll kick in, but this needs more substance. It’s mostly surface level action/characterization thus far.

The narrative kind of fooled me. One the second watch, I became aware of something more subtle.

The Mandalorian busts his butt to get that egg for the Jawa, only to have them destroy it for their temporary pleasure. The Baby Yoda is in an egg shaped carrier, The egg represents what might happen to BabyYoda when he is handed over to Werner Herzog, he might be destroyed for a temporary fix. I suspect the side quests we see in the show represents something happening on a different level.
The Jawa egg incident is like, Don't throw pearls before swine.

Incomudro

I would hope that by this show's episode VIII that some of our expectations are subverted.
But I'm glad you all seem open to still enjoy new Star Wars. It is however easy for me to imagine that if they had made the Mandalorian female, the wall of nitpicky screeds this very same episode would earn here.

Well, yeah - I wouldn't like if the Mandalorian was female.
I'm tired of suspending my disbelief to the extent that it allows slightly built females to successfully defeat much larger and heavier male opponents.
Plus - just as many people want a female lead because they like that and perhaps relate to it.
I like a male lead in this role.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom