The Magic Carpets of Aladdin

Brer Mickey

Original Poster
With the recent revival of the Orange Bird and the Sunshine Tree Terrace, I have seen a few blogs campaigning for the removal of The Magic Carpets of Aladdin in order to restore the Polynesian/South Pacific/Caribbean theme to Adventureland. I am sure Disney would argue that the presence of the Carpets in Adventureland has less to do with theming but more to do with supply and demand. "Sit and Spin" rides, as I like to call them, are very popular. (Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, TriceraTop Spin). I am not a fan of totally removing any attractions from the parks but with the addition of the second Dumbo in the New Fantasyland, it would be practical to relocate the Carpets to a new area. I think they could fit in well in the Animation Court at DHS (a park that currently does not have a "sit and spin" ride) or, at the risk of being crucified by some on this board, expand the back of the Morocco pavilion in Epcot and place it there. It would add another ride in the WS but still maintain the ascetics of the pavilion from the front.

Any other thoughts?

The Empress Lilly

Me I would suggest moving the spinner to the McDonald's on Int. Drive. ;)

I thoroughly support the campaign to remove the spinner. It is as much a blemish as the Wand was. I think that even those who do not know Adventureland before the spinner abomination can visualise the area with lush vegetation, a tropical South Seas atmosphere, a place to relax away from the crowds.

71jason

Morocco could work. I wouldn't even be opposed to an Agrobah "mini-land" off Fantasyland. Throw in a small shop, a meet and greet, maybe a food stand.

WED Purist

Though I would never defend the Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Adventureland was never meant to be only the South Pacific and Caribbean. Unless you want to get rid of the Jungle Cruise also.

Brer Mickey

Original Poster
Though I would never defend the Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Adventureland was never meant to be only the South Pacific and Caribbean. Unless you want to get rid of the Jungle Cruise also.

That is a great point. Adventureland is very eclectic. Caribbean, Polynesian, and Amazonian/Asian/African.

Powerline

Couldn't there be a spinner akin to the theme of AdventureLand? I personally like the Carpets better than Dumbo but themeing is really important in WDW.

Although I've seen people argue that the theme of AdventureLand is adventure, not so much the South Pacific. I can see where this is coming from but it still feels out of place.

Brer Mickey

Original Poster
Couldn't there be a spinner akin to the theme of AdventureLand? I personally like the Carpets better than Dumbo but themeing is really important in WDW.

Although I've seen people argue that the theme of AdventureLand is adventure, not so much the South Pacific. I can see where this is coming from but it still feels out of place.

Besides the theming, the other huge complaint about the Carpets is it blocks the view of the Tiki Room and Sunshine Tree Terrace. Even if re-themed, it would still have the Giant-Hat-Blocking-Grauman's effect

Brer Mickey

Original Poster
Especially a ride based on a story that has nothing to do with Morocco. Might as well put 'Hercules' in Germany because it is 'European', or Mowgli in China because he is 'Asian'.

I understand that Aladdin is not explicitly located in Morocco but those examples are a bit extreme. Clearly the setting of the film is Middle Eastern, so until the Saudi Arabia pavilion is built, I think Morocco could suffice. The original legend of Aladdin is set in China so perhaps it could be located in the China pavilion.

tdpolo26

I like it for a future fantasy land exapnsion. That area could have great potential, Imagine a 40 thieves ride, something along the lines of flying on a broom stick. Build the palace and have it be a special place people can watch the fireworks from at night. I am sure they could do some sort of interactive genie expierence for the kiddies. then a meet and greet with a decent sit down. Who knows this could be on the horizon... I kinda doubt it though

Walt Disney1955

It probably should have been put in Fantasyland to start with. There was enough space, and probably more now. Not sure how it fit into Adventureland to start with. That being said, it wouldn't take up a lot of space in FL. Its another ride guests can line up for to spread the crowds out and Fantasyland in comparison with the one in Disneyland was dying for more rides.

The Empress Lilly

If there wasn't a need for sit and spin rides, Dumbo wouldn't be getting doubled up. I can't see it going anywhere soon.
If need for spin rides is the criterium, then they should consider adding:

'Woody's Ruff Rodeo' big metal spinner in front of the Hall of Presidents.
'Mary Poppins the Old Spinster Spinner Adventure' in Town Square. With Cockney accents, because it is old English so fits the Main Street theme!
'Simba's Wildebeest Stampede Spinner' smack dab in the middle of Harambe, because it fits so perfectly.

baymenxpac

if you want to talk about spinners for capacity's sake, then aladdin should be at the studios, a park that is desperate for rides with no height requirement.

of course, finding space for it is the issue there. but there's little doubt adventureland would look better without the carpets.

Brer Mickey

Original Poster
if you want to talk about spinners for capacity's sake, then aladdin should be at the studios, a park that is desperate for rides with no height requirement.

of course, finding space for it is the issue there. but there's little doubt adventureland would look better without the carpets.

I totally agree that DHS would be the best option. If for no other reason it could take some (not much but some) pressure off of TSMM. Have 4 Sit & Spin rides at MK just seems a bit excessive to me. I was just looking at Google Earth and it would be possible to squeeze it in behind the Art of Animation. There are two backstage parking lots that could be relocated, in my opinion.

baymenxpac

I totally agree that DHS would be the best option. If for no other reason it could take some (not much but some) pressure off of TSMM. Have 4 Sit & Spin rides at MK just seems a bit excessive to me. I was just looking at Google Earth and it would be possible to squeeze it in behind the Art of Animation. There are two backstage parking lots that could be relocated, in my opinion.

yup, based on what the insiders have said, that's pretty much the most logical spot for it.

personally, i think the experience would be infinitely improved for families at DHS if they gave backlot a major refurb (making it worthwhile again) and put the carpets there. that essentially doubled the no height requirement rides at that park. plus, the win for adventureland to be restored to a serene environment would be SO major.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom