The Little Mermaid Ride

degunter

Original Poster
I am sorry if this has been discussed before.... tried to do a search but did not see anything jumping out at me....

I just saw on the 2-Disc version of The Little Mermaid DVD a proposed dark ride attraction based on this film.

Does anyone know if this will ever be built? Does anyone know why it was originally shelved?

I read somewhere that a LM attraction was coming to DCA... is this the same attraction?

Thanks in advance!

bennyw01

correct me if im wrong, but wasnt this idea either canned or put in limbo? there is nothing officially set in writing that they will be making this ride and was mearly a concept included to the DVD :shrug:

DisneyAnole

I am sorry if this has been discussed before.... tried to do a search but did not see anything jumping out at me....

I just saw on the 2-Disc version of The Little Mermaid DVD a proposed dark ride attraction based on this film.

Does anyone know if this will ever be built? Does anyone know why it was originally shelved?

I read somewhere that a LM attraction was coming to DCA... is this the same attraction?

Thanks in advance!

1. It probably won't be built in that form.

2. DCA's getting a different Mermaid ride w/ Doom-buggy-esque Clamshell omnimovers.

raven

I have the same DVD and doesn't it say o there that "it will never be built?" I remember something like that. Although I know they may plan a similar ride but it mentioned that that particular one wouldn't be built. Don't know why though.

kcnole

It was scrapped but chances are we'll never see it. As pointed out, during DCA's 1 billion dollar makeover, they're going to be getting a major E-ticket Mermaid ride. My guess would be that if this proves popular this is the mermaid ride we'll see cloned out to other parks. If its good, I'd love to see it in the old subs location in fantasyland.

Mad Stitch

There was a thread started on this topic when the dvd was first released. The ride was scraped but I can’t remember the reason. I agree with kcnole, we will never see it. They’d be more likely to clone the ride going into DCA or the attraction already at TDS.

hauntdmansion79

I thought the Little Mermaid ride going into the new DCA 1 Billion makeover was, more or less, the same ride from the DVD? I know I saw conept art when the DCA makeover was announced. It showed some differences such as going from hanging carts (a la Peter Pan) to omnimovers, but I thought most of the ride looked a lot like the one on the DVD?

They are building a sweet exterior themed building for the attraction at DCA and also are considering it an E-ticket level attraction, so I'm assuming it's going to be good enough to clone at WDW. Hopefully in the 20K site.

aladdin2007

I believe the plan is, from what I have heard, that once the ride has been open a year or two at DCA, then the little mermaid ride will be built on our former 20,000 leagues spot. This is why they have kept the Ariels Grotto meet and greet there, hint hint.
That info has been posted somewhere on here not too long ago by someone more in the know, if I remember correctly.

kcnole

I thought the Little Mermaid ride going into the new DCA 1 Billion makeover was, more or less, the same ride from the DVD? I know I saw conept art when the DCA makeover was announced. It showed some differences such as going from hanging carts (a la Peter Pan) to omnimovers, but I thought most of the ride looked a lot like the one on the DVD?

They're not even close anymore. The ride on the dvd was more in line with Peter Pan and nothing more than a nice C-ticket. According to the guys at WDI this one has been considerably beefed up and will be a definitive E-ticket. I can't wait. I really miss Disney creating quality E-ticket dark rides as they haven't done that in a while.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
In a nutshell:

Designed for DLP. Never built.

Next cloned for the MK. Never built.

Redesigned and planned for DCA. On its way.

The MK... probably.

hauntdmansion79

^ ^

NICE! If the changes to the concept on the DVD are only improvements to make the ride bigger and better, than I'm all for that. I agree that it's great to see Disney Imagineering putting time, money, and effort into a full blown quality E-Ticket dark ride. Hopefully this will be an attraction where you don't feel like they cut corners or took the easy way out. This is probably the topics I'm most interested in that's coming down the pipe.

dpunky

It will probably built in MK eventually. Disney will see how popular this attraction is in DCA before going forward with plans on adding this to MK.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I'm guessing that the finished attraction will be a plus-ed version of the one featured on the DVD. Substituting an omnimover for the old hanging version would also increase capacity greatly (a huge plus for the congested MK Fantasyland-if it gets built here).

DizFanatic

It will probably built in MK eventually. Disney will see how popular this attraction is in DCA before going forward with plans on adding this to MK.

I hope so. They even have the perfect spot, at the old 20k site with Ariel's gratto already in place. We went to see LM on B'way in January and it was outstanding. The ride is long overdue, bet more welcome than ever.

Jerm

The Little Mermaid attraction and the Beauty and the Beast show (not the show in DHS) were supposed to be part of phase two of Euro Disney (Disneyland Paris) but the park did not bring in the numbers due to the many reasons and Disney Co. put everything on hold from that expansion to the Disney Decade. But as they say "Disney never throws out good ideas" they just wait and make them cheaper and higher capacity and shoe horn them into a park about California?!?!?(sorry I do love the idea, but it does not fit) So in 3 years or so they will have a amazing attraction that odds are high will be built in other parks at some point.

socalkdg

Its expected that the ride will last approx. 7 minutes. They will be building a small water play area as well near the ride at DCA. This is an obvious addition to the MK if the ride works well at DCA. At DCA you should see a transition from the pier to the Little Mermaid and the ride would represent the oceans of California. A stretch, yep, but the ride and building should look great and be a nice addition to the park.

dizzney

I know my daughter will be thrilled as will lots of other girls, its time for the Little Mermaid to get her due at DL and WDW!

Master__Gracey

Well the concept art that was released looks really close to the DVD version. As long as corners aren't cut or technology put before story (fingers crossed) then I'm super excited. I doubt they do as grand an exterior as they had on the DVD for WDW MK but the ride should still be great.

Are there any pictures of the concept art for this ride? I think that a Little mermaid ride will be a great addition to DCA, MK, and wherever else they build it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom