'The Little Mermaid' attraction for WDW?

SoFlaDisneyFan

Original Poster
With the official announcement of the Disneyland Resort enhancements and additions, it seems the long-loved and lost “The Little Mermaid” attraction may finally see the light of reality. Granted this attraction will be in vein, but not exactly the same as the concept drawings, layout, and 3D ride through we have all seen and drooled over on the “The Little Mermaid” DVD, but with a rumored 100 million dollar plus budget, this attraction may certainly be the best Disney dark ride attraction on the planet. Though I would love a completely original attraction to take up residence on the primo 20,000 Leagues plot, I would certainly be thrilled to welcome a state-of-the-art clone attraction paying proper homage to one of Disney’s greatest animation achievements. How does everyone feel? It’s great that Disney’s California Adventure is getting so much well-deserved TLC, but with this massive budget and huge bounty of new attractions this is basically a whole new theme park for them. I’m a wee bit jealous!:zipit:

Beauty_Belle

I would love to see a new dark ride at MK! Though, it sounds like this may be a CA only attraction for they want to draw people back to CA to show the changes. Does anyone know when these changes at CA are going to happen?

SoFlaDisneyFan

Original Poster
I would love to see a new dark ride at MK! Though, it sounds like this may be a CA only attraction for they want to draw people back to CA to show the changes. Does anyone know when these changes at CA are going to happen?

Supposedly, LM will be a DCA-only attraction for the first 5-7 years. After that, WDW will get a clone, or better yet, its very own version.

netenyahoo

It makes sense to have a similar attaction, not a direct clone at MK. I love the variations of the dark rides between MK and DL. It save the company money as not much is changed, but enough that it feels different.

Pete C

Little Mermaid is going to cost over 100 million? Are you sure about that figure? That puts it in Spiderman territory. The press release didn't even mention it as being an E-Ticket so I am really surprised it would cost anywhere near that.

Animaniac93-98

I don't think they'll call it an E ticket because all of Disney's recent "E ticket" attractions have been thrill rides and Disney probably doesn't want to mislead guests into thinking it's one. Still it's nice to see a big expensive omnimover dark ride being built.

Enigma

Account Suspended
No.
That figure is way high.

Wrong Lee. I know for a fact that at this point in time The Little Mermaid ride's budget is $100 million. That may change later but right now thats where it stands and it will be of E-ticket quality. The fact that they keep calling it a "Major attraction" is no hype and no bs.

Concerning Florida, I hope Jim Hill is right and Imagineering wants to do away with clonning...I would rather Magic Kingdom get the cheaper but funer Tony Baxter version with the peter pan-esque ride vehicles rather than "Little Mermaid's Haunted Mansion".

gsimpson

it really is that big

In several new reports that have stated that the Little Mermaid attraction will be the "most advanced and expensive Disney dark ride" projected budget of over 100 million dollars. That sounds like one heck of an Omnimover attraction to me (and yes, one or two articles did mention Omnimover).

I don't know why everyone gets so testy about Jim Hill, he is right a fair percentage of the time, he does come up with some interesting thoughts, and as much as I hate to say it this site is not batting 100% either. The variety and scope of opinions on the subject is great.

gsimpson

well

Go to CNBC, MSNBC, or even Google and search for disney and you will get articles about "Disney's Billion Dollar Adventure" and "Remaking a dud" and dozens of other articles. One article also contains a transcript of the Disneyland Townhall meeting where Iger did a television thank you to the employees for the 50th celebration and announced "because of you we are doing this" and then Jay Rusolo, Grier, Wies, and someone else did a long presentation where THEY said the little mermaid was going to be over 100 million and the radiator springs was going to be north of 200 million and be version 3 of the test track technology.

CubsRock

In several new reports that have stated that the Little Mermaid attraction will be the "most advanced and expensive Disney dark ride" projected budget of over 100 million dollars. That sounds like one heck of an Omnimover attraction to me (and yes, one or two articles did mention Omnimover).

I don't know why everyone gets so testy about Jim Hill, he is right a fair percentage of the time, he does come up with some interesting thoughts, and as much as I hate to say it this site is not batting 100% either. The variety and scope of opinions on the subject is great.

even concept art from disney has the omnimovers, they remind me of the clammobiles

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom