The League of Dreamers - An Imagineering Contest

TrevorA

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the first ever League of Dreamers Imagineering competition! First of all, thank you all for showing up. We are humbled by the amount of players that have come out for our first summer contest, we hope this is a recurring trend for next time. I’m sure you are all very excited to get started on your theme parks, but first let’s review the gameplay a little bit, shall we?

The contest is made up of 5-person teams, with optional alternates. As a team, your goal is to create a new Disneyland-style park for an undetermined location. You will design all the classic lands including Main Street, Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. But you must all work together on everything you do, and agree on everything you do. Once you have finished each land (Ridethroughs, restaurants, etc.) and agreed on it, you will present your land to the judges. We (the judges) will be playing the role of the Board of Directors, and if we approve it you move on to the next land. If we don't, you start over. It's as simple as that.

Speaking of judges, I’m sure you want to know who is on staff for the summer season this year. We have returning judges MaterA113, Disneyson1, and myself, plus our brand new judge – MANEATINGWREATH! MEW created a version of the League of Dreamers for VisionsFantastic.com, but it never really got off the ground. Now he’s here with us, and we’re hoping that this becomes as wildly popular as The Imagineer has been for its first two seasons.

We’ve planned LoD to run for about eight weeks, finishing up at the end of July. That’s when the competition starts to heat up. At the end of the game, your team will compile the lands into a presentable format. You all will show your completed theme park to the judging staff, and based on our honest opinion, one team will win. They will be marked as the champion and be given the prize of a virtual congratulations and handshake. As an added bonus, champions will be granted a special-super-secret prize at the end of the contest as well.

There’s the basic outline of how the game will work. Please do not hesitate to ask questions, should you have any.

Now, on to the next part of this post – teams! We have taken all of the sign-ups, and divided them up into six playable teams:

Team Horizons:
adv.bluedude
Thrill
TDF
Frogki
Mickeyfan5534
Jeany031

The Future Corps:
Hack2112
techiegsy
figmntal95
Stratofarius
CharlieD

Team Seabase Alpha:
Jasonflz
WDW Vacationer
disneysroyal411
Tazer19
mewhunter67

Team Figment:
Twilight_Roxas
mickey2008.1
yeti
WondersOfLife
JohnLocke

Team Symbiosis:
kermitdefrog
Sassagoula-Rvr
plutoismyhero
comics101
fabroman

Team CommuniCore:
Tiki
world
jessiestudio
Disneysea_fan
mharrington

Brownie points to whoever can figure out the similarity between the team names. Anyway, we’ve added mewhunter67 and fabroman to the roster because they have expressed their interest in the game to us. If you guys want out, please let us know.

Finally, we’re going to explain what your team needs to complete for each land in the park. Every land will need to have the following:

Quick Service Restaurant
2 Shops
2 Meet and Greets
1 Re-imagined attraction

As stated above, each land will have one existing attraction that needs to be re-imagined. We will reveal the re-imagined attraction assignments – and the order that you will complete the lands – as the first team completes the current land assignment.

Here’s the first twist. Instead of telling you what to complete per land – attractions, restaurants, etc - we are giving you one solid number of each. Your park will have no more of the following:

35 attractions
8 shows
4 table service restaurants

It’s up to your team to decide where you want to put these portions of your theme park. Choose carefully, you will want to make sure that you distribute the numbers evenly

In addition to all of these criteria, each land will have a surprise project that every team will complete. Again, we will reveal these as the first team finishes the previous land.

Today, we begin with Main Street U.S.A. This land takes you back to a turn-of-the-century small town from Walt’s boyhood. It’s a time and a place of boundless possibilities. It’s a world at the dawn of the age of electricity, but still firmly rooted in a simpler time. Anything can be accomplished, and soon will be. The glass is always half full here.

You already understand most of your criteria for this land, but we have yet to reveal the secret project and the re-imagined attraction. Let’s start with the latter, which will be none other than Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress! Yes, that’s right; you will have to re-imagine the classic World’s Fair attraction to be placed in your theme park. I hope you guys have fun with that.

Now, let’s get on with the secret project. Since this is the first round, we’ve decided to go easy on you. All you have to do is design a mega-store (think Emporium) to go along with your other two shops. This mega-store will take up no less than three facades on your Main Street. In addition, this shop may not sell merchandise that can be purchased in the other two shops.

We are so excited to get this competition underway, and now we finally can. Your team may create a thread here to help brainstorm and to work on your ideas, but you will post your projects on the “LoD – Main Street” thread. Remember, there is no time limit to get your lands done, but the game concludes at the end of July.

Good luck teams, and welcome to the League of Dreamers.

---TrevorA

comics101

Does our Main St. have to be themed to the turn of the century? Or can we come up with a new idea, similar to the way Imagineers did with the 1920's Main Street???

TrevorA

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Brownie points to ADV!

@comics101: You may theme your Main Street however you wish, but we as the judges may reject your proposal if you don't do a thorough job.

@CharlieD: That is exactly how it will work.

---TrevorA

mewhunter67

well, tho it's been said, i want brownie pts too lol!

it's obvious that they were major parts to previous epcot attractions, which were meant to present their original theme. horizons is a little off, as would communicore i guess. the others were parts to the attractions, these two i'd consider attractions in themselves.

anyway, adv did mention, they were from the past of epcot, sans figment, but i also agree with adv there too :)

Fractal514

Might I suggest that you list what the final Lands will all be? The reason I suggest this is that someone may choose to put a restaurant in here that would fit better in liberty square, or perhaps one that would work in a new Orleans square. This will become more of an issue with thing like fronteirland and critter country and so forth. Maybe don't list them in the order they will be assigned, but give a list of what will ultimately be done.

TrevorA

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
@mharrington: The 35 is the maximum. There is no minimum, but you will obviously need to have something.

@CharlieD: There are no eliminations. We will have a winner at the end, but no-one will be lost in the process.

@mewhunter67: The correct answer was "Terms of 1980s EPCOT", but you are also correct.

@Fractal514: The revealed lands are listed at the top of the original post: Main Street, Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. I will say that - in addition to the aforementioned lands - we have two surprise rounds in the game, so those mentioned won't be the only things you will be working on during the summer.

Keep the questions coming, should anything come to mind.

---TrevorA

TrevorA

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Let me say this also, to alleviate some confusion. The criteria that is the same for every land (1 QS, 2 Shops, 2, MaGs) is a minimum, while the criteria for the whole park (35 attractions, 8 shows, 4 TS) is a maximum. Sorry about not clarifying that so well.

---TrevorA

mharrington

Only 35 attractions maximum? That's gonna be quite tight, considering the amount of attractions found at other parks. I have a feeling that this will become like Hong Kong Disneyland.

comics101

Only 35 attractions maximum? That's gonna be quite tight, considering the amount of attractions found at other parks. I have a feeling that this will become like Hong Kong Disneyland.

I agree. This is going to be a rather small park... Why not let the sky be the limit, we should shoot for the stars and create the best possible product we can...

TrevorA

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
@mharrington and comics101: We looked at all the Disney Parks and decided on the number. I think Magic Kingdom has around 35-40 attractions, if I'm remembering correctly.

EDIT: Also, Mater reminded me, you will have a number of re-imagined attractions, so that boosts the number a bit.

---TrevorA

JohnLocke

No one else from Team Figment really appears to be doing any participation yet. I was just curious when the deadline is for first project?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom