The latest thread for "Monorail Junkies"!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I confess, and i'm not afraid to admit it: Yes, i AM a "Monorail Junkie" ! :p

I adore the WDW Monorails like so many folks who populate this Forum. I have read some awesome threads over the past couple of years and thought is was time for another great disscussion about these famous vehicles!

I was thinking recently about them, and thought id venture some questions out to the masses of our fellow Monorail Freaks. It would be great to hear from any current Monrail drivers too, past or present!

So here's my question, of all the Monrails, which one is considered the "Top" one...the best? Now this i suppose could become a hotly debated topic....( :lol: ) but seriously now, which Monorail runs the best and is considered the top of the heap mechancially?

Also, i'd love to hear more about their "personalities"....you know how some colors seem to be adored and others are frowned upon as they are'nt mechanically reliable or cause a lot of headaches for the techs.

Let's hear some cool monorail stories! :)

Tom

Beta Return
Figments Friend said:
I confess, and i'm not afraid to admit it: Yes, i AM a "Monorail Junkie" ! :p

I adore the WDW Monorails like so many folks who populate this Forum. I have read some awesome threads over the past couple of years and thought is was time for another great disscussion about these famous vehicles!

I was thinking recently about them, and thought id venture some questions out to the masses of our fellow Monorail Freaks. It would be great to hear from any current Monrail drivers too, past or present!

So here's my question, of all the Monrails, which one is considered the "Top" one...the best? Now this i suppose could become a hotly debated topic....( :lol: ) but seriously now, which Monorail runs the best and is considered the top of the heap mechancially?

Also, i'd love to hear more about their "personalities"....you know how some colors seem to be adored and others are frowned upon as they are'nt mechanically reliable or cause a lot of headaches for the techs.

Let's hear some cool monorail stories! :)

I've heard lots of bad things about Yellow......hmmmm.

Good topic, I never get sick of reading about the Monorails!

tom32819

i seem to recall red had the glass in the "nose" broken out during the filming of a commercial in the early 90's. ive also heard yellow is one of the more stubborn trains.

ThumpersThought

Yellow likes to wait to tell you things (like if you're going to fast). It's a good way to find out how good your pilot really is. Expect a lot of overspeed stops if he or she is waiting for Yellow to tell them their speed is wrong.

Red has a low nose in Cab1 (because of the accident), so, it often is difficult to get lined up with the automatic gates.

Red also likes giving overspeed stops on Bridge 1 when you're underspeed. (Bridge 1 is just before the Epcot tollbooth heading to Epcot).

The automatic gates really don't like cold weather.

The radio on Pink makes annoying sounds.

Red has an occasional phantom phone ring (Car to Cab communication). You get used to just hanging up when it rings (hopefully a guest never calls :lookaroun).

Temperature makes a huge difference on how each train behaves. (Hint: they were designed for the Florida heat)

The beacon on Black chirps really loud in the cab. Sounds like an alarm going off.

There is no "Best" train. Every pilot has different likes and dislikes. Some of the control levers are loose, some pilots like that; some are very tight, others really like that. So, every pilot has a different favorite train.

And it's true, no one wants to drive Yellow...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'll agree with the concensus - Yellow is evil.

I've spent more time waiting for it to clear the station or another part of the track on the Epcot loop than i'd ever want to.

The view of Imagination, Land, and Seas is cool (which our nifty pilot drifted between for us to see since we were suck for 45 minutes!!) and thankfully I was in the nose.

But dang - I learned two things that day... Silver ROCKS HARD and Yellow sucks.

ThumpersThought

My favorite little quirk right now is on the trains with automated spiels.

If the resort train goes the posted speed limit from the GF to MK, you'll get:

"...with the Yeti prowling the Ladies and Gentlemen, we're approaching..."

TheDisneyMagic

ThumpersThought said:
My favorite little quirk right now is on the trains with automated spiels.

If the resort train goes the posted speed limit from the GF to MK, you'll get:

"...with the Yeti prowling the Ladies and Gentlemen, we're approaching..."
LOL, the amount of times we have been on the monorails and it plays part of one Spiel and then finishes with a completely differeny part of the spiel.

Do you know which of the monorails run which system. EG, I read some where that some run on CD, others are run by Hard Drive etc etc.

Thanks.

crazydaveh

I'm going to go with a College Football way of saying who's the best...

Black or Red Monorai are always the bestl= Univ of Georgia Colors! GO Dawgs!

Orange and Blue monorail are always the ones who ruin your day = Univ of Florida colors! GATORS ARE BAD!

All the other colors don't mean a thing... Because the school they represent doesn't come close to the DAWGS!

If this annoys you, sorry, I had to do it! I miss college football!

ThumpersThought

jddjcfc said:
Do you know which of the monorails run which system. EG, I read some where that some run on CD, others are run by Hard Drive etc etc.

Thanks.

The trains with the old system use tape. The driver selects the spiel set (Resort, Express or Epcot) then presses a button at certain locations on the beam. The trains with the new system know when to play a spiel (and what spiel to play) off sensors on the beam. The spiels themselves on on the hard drive.

I can never remember the list of trains (which has which control system), but at least Pink, Yellow, Gold and Silver have the new control system. Black is being upgraded right now (so you won't be seeing it around for a little while).

TrentMom

best and worst

:cool: Hi. My husband drove the monorails from 1999-2000. He said then, lime green was really fast, and it ran over and missed the stops most of the time. He said the black one was the worst and was incredibly slow.

djronnieb

I heard from the yellow monorail driver last week that the system is currently being expanded to have all the monorails connect all the parks and resorts. And a line is going out to Orlando Airport. However the construction of this is so top seceret that they've hidden it so well it's only viewable from the International Space Station using special thermal viewing googles the astunauts have.

hayzer11

Energy, you make the world go round!
haha, yea i rember my uncle pulling the black alarm right at the epcot station, and we left really quick, but there was commotion up there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom