The Latest Jim Hill Media Rumors for WDW

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
ogryn said:
I wonder how many more articles will be written that use Disney's domain registrations as a source? That's all there ever seem to be nowadays.

I would imagine that Disney has a nice sized budget to register domain names that they never intend to use, to keep others from mistreating the brand.

yensidtlaw1969

Maybe my cost estimation is skewed by the fact that I make masks out of a $2.99 tube of Caulk, but something tells me that spending $75,000 dollars on new skins for COP Animatronics seems a little off.I think there's something like 32 animatronics in COP (I think?), so if thats true that means it cost about $2,350 per mask. Maybe he meant 7,500?

Yensid "who-cares-about-the-great-big-beautiful-tomorrow---LOOK-HOW-SHINY-MY-NOSE-IS-!" tlaw1969

Connor002

Um-hm... like the imagineers haven't been thinking about a Monsters Inc. door chase roller coaster since the movie opened...:rolleyes:

Chape19714

KumbaRider said:
It's near the Streets of America towards Lights Motors Action and after Star Tours. I believe it was covered up with the San Francisco facade?

It's there, and it's actually being used year-round to store the Osborne Lights and the equipment for it. They used to store all this in the Houses (directly behind the facades) on Residential street, but that is gone, so the theatre is used for storage now. If you look back when the lights aren't out, you can sometimes see the soldiers.

Let us also remember that the Rock n' Roller Coaster was orininally planned for the back area of the park, but the electricty required to power it could not easly be brought there. I know the RnRC pulls some serious power, but that's still an issue worth considering.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Chape19714 said:
Let us also remember that the Rock n' Roller Coaster was orininally planned for the back area of the park, but the electricty required to power it could not easly be brought there..

RnRC was always planned for the western edge of the park - as the Rockin` Rollercoaster. Roughly where New York Street is now is where the half mountain rollercoaster was planned way back in the 80`s. Things would have come full circle IF a coaster is built in this side of the park!

SewIn2Disney

When I went to MGM over the summer, I detoured past the building and the angles with the fluttering wings were lit and fluttering. It looked so strange, I took some pictures of it.

peter11435

SewIn2Disney said:
That's interesting. What (if anything) does Westcot stand for, that has to do with Disneyland?
Westcot was a proposed Epcot like park that was to be built at Disneyland. The plans were called off long ago and as you know DCA was built instead. Yet Disney still felt the need to purchase and still owns the domain.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
peter11435 said:
Westcot was a proposed Epcot like park that was to be built at Disneyland. The plans were called off long ago and as you know DCA was built instead. Yet Disney still felt the need to purchase and still owns the domain.

Oh wow, I remember that, now that you mentioned it!!! I'm having a fuzzy memory of it in a Disney Magazine of many, many years ago. I may have to dig thru my parent's basement this weekend and see if I can find the article! Wasn't it supposed to be, at the time, a $3billion park?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WESTcot would have had variations on Futureworld pavilions as we know them, and a World Showcase area. As the price rose, to around 3 billion, the project scaled back (Spacestation Earth became a simple spire with no attraction) and eventually the project became DCA...

Attachments

• westcot aerial.jpg
    westcot aerial.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 94
  • spacestation earth.jpg
    spacestation earth.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 84

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Thanks, Martin. That drawing of Spacestation Earth is definitely something I remember.

So sad that something with vision turned into DCA.... what an absolute waste.

Brian_B

Unsure if this is common knowledge or not, but...

There was a website around for awhile I was fond of visiting. It had some guy's depiction of a door-themed monsters inc rollercoaster, to display his design as sort of an online portfolio. Anyway, he took the design down awhile ago, because he said that disney specifically told him to about that concept, despite having a lot of other designs based on disney characters...I know this sounds like BS, because I can't really remember the dude's site, but...anyone who's read my posts knows I NEVER play the rumors game.

- Brian

yensidtlaw1969

I may be in the minority, but I never liked that guy's Monster's Inc ride. I appreciate all the work that guy put into making it, but I never actually liked it. I always thought there was something funny about it. The new villain (through it makes sense), the Odd door sequence where they suddenly incorperate other Disney attractions (and the fact that it was only 2 of them was wierd enough), and ofcourse the door scene where the vehicle has to stop completely for however many minutes. If that were to work they'd only be able to have likely 2 cars on the track at a time. Maybe if they pulled a Horions and had the screen move along at the same speed as the car, but whatever. I also didn't understand why Boo was suddenly on the loose again, completely out of Nowhere. Either way, i didn't like it and thought there were many more creative, yet not so far out, ways to create a Monsters In attraction.

I like Monster's Inc : Mike and Sulley to the Rescue much better than what this guy did.

Yensid "race-ya-to-the-scare-floor-!" tlaw1969

peter11435

yensidtlaw1969 said:
I may be in the minority, but I never liked that guy's Monster's Inc ride. I appreciate all the work that guy put into making it, but I never actually liked it. I always thought there was something funny about it. The new villain (through it makes sense), the Odd door sequence where they suddenly incorperate other Disney attractions (and the fact that it was only 2 of them was wierd enough), and ofcourse the door scene where the vehicle has to stop completely for however many minutes. If that were to work they'd only be able to have likely 2 cars on the track at a time. Maybe if they pulled a Horions and had the screen move along at the same speed as the car, but whatever. I also didn't understand why Boo was suddenly on the loose again, completely out of Nowhere. Either way, i didn't like it and thought there were many more creative, yet not so far out, ways to create a Monsters In attraction.

I like Monster's Inc : Mike and Sulley to the Rescue much better than what this guy did.

Yensid "race-ya-to-the-scare-floor-!" tlaw1969
I agree.

imagineer boy

I agree too. It seemed like he was cramming too much story and events into one ride. A large attration like the size of Horizons is alright, but that idea would be so huge, that it would be rediculous. Not to mention making a ride as a sequal or a prequal to a movie never works out to well ( SGE being an example ).

yensidtlaw1969

imagineer boy said:
I agree too. It seemed like he was cramming too much story and events into one ride. A large attration like the size of Horizons is alright, but that idea would be so huge, that it would be rediculous. Not to mention making a ride as a sequal or a prequal to a movie never works out to well ( SGE being an example ).
Well, I think the Idea behind SGE is great, but according to most people the execution is kinda off (not me, I don't find it to be all that terrible -- I've never seen AE though). I kinda like it though. Some parts are a little out there, but I find it to be entertaining. The promotion of it was ridiculous though. Nover could live u, but after judging it from a "I just ended up here and I saw no promotion" standpoint the attraction got better. Stitch is amazing though.

Yensid "all-I-want-for-Christmas-.-.-." tlaw1969

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom