The Land evacuated 10/31!

COProgressFan

That is something you can't blame on maintenance, all escalators and elevators are outsourced to Otis elevators. So if one breaks, it may get fixed days later because they are located off property.

While elevator maintenance is likely outsourced to Otis, given the sheer number of elevators on property I am certain there are mechanics on property every day servicing them. Elevators and escalators need monthly maintenance (at least) to keep them running safely.

One issue with the Land escalators would their age and also whether or not there is an effective system in place to prioritize repairs across property. (eg, escalator in Land should be fixed before an elevator in a bank of 2 others that are functioning at a resort - this should all go through Disney's maximo maintenance reporting system).

There are some elevator mechanics on hand at the parks. Elevators sure, not positive on escalators as there are not really that many in the parks.

But as someone who pointed out, those things are in CONSTANT use. Kind of like some of the lights. One resort, the lights are tied into the ceiling fans. Can't turn off one without turning off the other. That being said, the lights are on 24/7. Bulbs are getting replaced almost daily because they wear out that fast.

Clamman73

They're just trying to slow the onslaught of people trying to ride The Land in the morning with the broken escalator. ;)

Pseudonym

I travel to NYC and Boston quite frequently, and there's escalator's there that I'm sure get used more than the one's located in The Land. There's no excuse why The Land's escalator's are broken every trip I go on. You get what you pay for! Unless you go to WDW because then it seems like you pay so much and get so little now-a-days...My point is, if they don't change something about the escalator it will continue to break down.

I always used the stairs anyways because there's no need for me to have to use an escalator. No reason to be lazy. Especially when there is a line for the escalator, like really?!

wdw71fan

apparently a drive chain slipped and jammed the electric drive motor (causing it to overheat) for the B escalator at the Land.. Guests were asked to leave as a precaution..

copcarguyp71

The escalators were shut down with signs on them when we were there Oct 10-17 so maybe the repairs did not work out or something else went wrong. It was kind of funny...people stood at the top/bottom and stared at the "out of service" signs like they had forgotten how to use stairs!

NORMNB8S

The escalators were shut down with signs on them when we were there Oct 10-17 so maybe the repairs did not work out or something else went wrong. It was kind of funny...people stood at the top/bottom and stared at the "out of service" signs like they had forgotten how to use stairs!

An escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. You should never see an "escalator out of order" sign, only a sign that says "escalator temporarily stairs, sorry for the convenience."

- Mitch Hedberg

mets7

I was in line for soarin when we were evacuated. Nobody would tell us anything just that they were told to get us out of the building as soon as possible. We were told by several important looking CM 's that it was a gas leak. I had waited in stand by for about 45min and was about to board when the announcement came. Never did make it back that night. Heading there in the morning to hopefully get a quick flight in.

G00fyDad

If I am not mistaken a moving walkway has a lower angle than an escalator. Off the top of my head, most escalators go up at around 30-35 degrees where as a moving walkway goes up at around 6-12 degrees. That results in the moving walkway needing at least 3-4 times the horizontal distance of an escalator. The moving walkways are great if you have the room such as on POTC and SM, but when conditions are tight like at the Land you have to go with an escalator.

Wrap it around the inside of the building. :D

Of course that's a joke. :)

Admiral01

Premium Member

We were there for October 17 to 20 and it was still the same.

That said, we always use the stairs. WDW is my chance to get some exercise.

mgf

I travel to NYC and Boston quite frequently, and there's escalator's there that I'm sure get used more than the one's located in The Land. There's no excuse why The Land's escalator's are broken every trip I go on. You get what you pay for! Unless you go to WDW because then it seems like you pay so much and get so little now-a-days...My point is, if they don't change something about the escalator it will continue to break down.

Stay away from the DC Metro then.....

G00fyDad

An escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. You should never see an "escalator out of order" sign, only a sign that says "escalator temporarily stairs, sorry for the convenience."

- Mitch Hedberg

Its a shame he is no longer around. He was hilarious! My favorite:

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?"

- Mitch Hedberg

NORMNB8S

Its a shame he is no longer around. He was hilarious! My favorite:

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What's really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?"

- Mitch Hedberg

Yeah, he was a great comedian. I saw him three times before he passed. I wish he were still around making great jokes.

nytimez

I don't mind the stairs... but with one escalator always broken, the stairs there -- which are too narrow to handle the crowds and the girth of the people in those crowds -- can bottleneck pretty badly at times. And people, that's not the place for your toddler to practice walking on stairs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom