The Imaginarium - Competition Thread [Complete]

TheOriginalTiki

Finale Dream Teams

View attachment 604442

Welcome @Disney Dad 3000 and @MickeyWaffleCo. to the crafting of your finale teams consisting of past players and guest judges. You each will be drafting three armchair imagineers to join your teams. You each will take turns picking a player to join your team, and the first pick will be going to @MickeyWaffleCo.

Draftable Roster
@Shannoninthemagic
@spacemt354
@JokersWild
@ThemeParkPriest
@TheOriginalTiki
@D Hulk

@Disney Dad 3000 and @MickeyWaffleCo. you have until Saturday, December 4th at 11:59 PM EST to craft your teams.
@MickeyWaffleCo.

TheOriginalTiki

We've been making our picks in a PM in order to ensure that nobody's feelings are hurt by the picks or anything like that. I believe the draft is complete, but I don't know when @tcool123 will be officially announcing the team lineups. (I definitely want my team name to be Team Breakfast.)
Oh God my bad. Missed the part where you were doing it in private haha. Carry on @tcool123

tcool123

Original Poster
- Chapter Five: The Final Showdown -
Challenge 11 - The Finale : A Bluesky Bonanza

1638549399937.png

It has been a journey full of ups and downs, but here we are at the end of our endeavors within the Imaginarium. Along the way we have made new friends, created new ideas, introduced creative presentation styles, and most importantly have defeated Mech Figment! Now it is time to decide who is the most imagineery competitor in the Imaginarium, will it be @MickeyWaffleCo. or @Disney Dad 3000 ?

In a private message our finalists decided quite a few things. They decided on their dream teams for the finale, their dream team names, and most importantly what the final challenge will be. Our finalists decided that the final challenge should be the creation of a whole new theme park land. Now onto the parameters for this land! This theme park land is completely blue sky allowing your imaginations to run rampant, and this land can be placed in any theme park of your choosing. The challenging part is to make sure that while your imaginations are allowed to run rampant that the land is cohesive not only within itself but with the values of the park the land goes in.

Finalists, your task is to create a new land for any theme park.

Now onto the reveal of the dream teams!

Now while these are the final uses of the team dynamic at the end of the day @MickeyWaffleCo. and @Disney Dad 3000 are responsible for the direction of this final project alongside the posting of the land as this is their chance at winning the Imaginarium.

Challenge 11 - The Finale : A Bluesky Bonanza
is due on Friday, December 17th at 10 PM EST.

MickeyMouse10

That's gotta be one of the cutest bump gifs I've ever seen. 😍 😍 😍

Yuck no way. Manatees are hideous and freak me out.

They look like this lady that I saw at Wal-Mart the other day. She was using one of those Free Mobility Scooters to get around. Don't feel bad for her though, she was yelling at her kids to get things off the top shelves. She looked like what Honey Boo Boo will look like in 20 years. "Tonights we'sa making sketti with butter."

tcool123

Original Poster
Finale Reviews: Team Brunch

To add in the suspense of the final victor of this competition I will be posting the finale reviews individually. With that said this part of the message goes to the two finalists, great job both of you both of these projects are stellar and unique. You should both be very proud of yourselves, but let us not forget your teammates for your dream teams! Without these dream teams this project would likely not have been possible. So a round of applause to them as well! Now with that said onto the review!

The Frontier

Right off the bat I think choosing Phantasialand was a bold move, but one that immediately aids in setting your project apart from the entire season so kudos! The presentation style is a simple Google Slides which is formatted nicely into a gazette which in my opinion was nice touch. Each slide was kept readable and was well illustrated. I think a steampunk frontier angle is rather unique, and is an interesting and fresh new way to approach the concept. Furthermore the justification and scope of the land was a nice touch of realism that is appreciated.

The backstory for the land itself is very well written. It sets up the basic premise for everything in an interesting way, and is an interesting twist on the dystopian world setting. It also makes explaining the aesthetic and how it came to be rather easy. Overall, I appreciate the effort that went into the backstory here, and feel like it made the project stronger. The map showcasing the entire expansion compared to the rest of the park was very appreciated, and was a great way to put the whole project into perspective. Combined with the detailed walkthrough including the new entry point, and utilizing mentions of the attractions as a jumping off point into the attractions was a nice way to segue.

Komet sounds intense for a family ride like baby's first launch coaster, more so than Slinky Dog given the higher speeds. However the way the ride is handled with the lack of extreme elements ensure that even though there are fast speeds it's not too wild for families. The variety of show scenes that are present add to the world building of the land, and add to the authenticity of the attraction. The little details in the queue such as the repurposing of the old train in the queue was another nice detail that adds to the overall story of the land. At the end of the day Komet sounds like a rather nice coaster given the setup that you described as it meanders and bobs and waves throughout the rockwork of the land it gives me a great picture of this very kinetic land that feels alive.

I think the setup for The Generator was great. Much like Komet this attraction's queue is very detailed, and the backstory put into the ride is great. However it wasn't the most clear to me what type of ride it was till close to the end, and even then I wasn't expecting a parachute style tower ride given the setup and name. With that said it does like a nice relaxing ride, and it would offer great views of the entire land which is always a win in my book. In addition it adds more kinetic energy to the land which of course makes the land feel more alive, and more like a real place that the guests could be visiting.

The final attraction, Bounty Hunter, is a great way to round out your land. The three attractions within the land offer a little bit of something for everybody while overall still maintaining an edge for the older generation. The setup for this attraction is simple, but effective as it is an easy concept to grasp for many. Overall the attraction experience is a nice simple dark ride that has an engaging and action packed storyline while maintaining a ride system that is accessible by many.

The little details that went into the dining location were very appreciated. The name of the restaurant being an easter egg to an old German western classic would likely be appreciated by many guests. Then the details that fused the future and westerns together such as the neon signs, hoverboard lockers, and even a robot acting as a barker were all great parts of evolving this location into a futuristic saloon. With all the detail that had been seen throughout the project I wish the menu had a few description for some items such as the Cowboy Burger. The various churro flavors sound delightful, and as a non churro person it has me interested in trying churros. Both gift shops sound nice, and aid in rounding out a very detailed and immersive land.

Overall, I think this was a a fun and unique spin on the typical frontier genre that we have grown accustomed to here. The various sci-fi elements, in my opinion, aided in setting this land apart alongside the host park being Phantasialand. The roster of attractions are rather strong, but since this is the finale we're down to the little details. This would point towards the dining section's lack of detailing in the menu as well as observation/parachute tower flat ride for the mine ride. This is not to say they were bad choice as I think both the saloon and The Generator were really great concepts, and the theming for both are top notch. However, with two great projects it truly does come down to these little minute details. And regardless of what I have said everyone on Team Brunch did an amazing job, and should be proud of your efforts!

tcool123

Original Poster
Finale Reviews: Team Breakfast

Team Breakfast it is now time for your review. Just like with Team Brunch I want to congratulate all of you on getting this project done, and you should be proud of your efforts. I know it was tough as there was a slight hiccup with one of your members having to leave early on, but luckily y'all didn't let that phase you. Now with that said onto the review itself!

Sinister Hollow

Right off the bat the website is a nice and organized way of presenting the project so kudos there, and the home page reading like a letter/press release from the current president of Walt Disney Imagineering was a nice way to introduce the project in a fresh and new take. The overall basis of Sinister Hollow is a great way to celebrate and build upon Disney Park IPs and the lore of the beloved Haunted Mansion. Utilizing a New York/New England theme for the land was a wise path to follow as well given that expands Disneyland into a new theme region of the USA that is distinct enough from the rest of the park. The focus on ensuring that the lighting plays a big factor into the land itself as well was nice to see as it shows the thought and care that went into this project ensuring that there were ways to create mystery during the day and eeriness during the night. The map is a nice touch, and it allows for the whole project to be put into perspective and understanding on how the flow and build up of the land will be achieved.

The Stonecraft History Museum is a great way to further flesh out the lore of the Gracey family in an interesting way that is paced out the way guests want to experience it. I think the twists in the diorama were really cool, and I'm sure the effect will make many guests bewildered. Overall I think the dioramas are really great albeit some are a bit graphic, but they do a fantastic job of telling the story of the early Gracey family. The Stonecraft Graveyard is a great way to add to the lore and immersion of the land, but I do have a concern. Given that it is outdoors there is going to be a clear preference on when guests would want to experience this as the pepper's ghost and projections would only work at nighttime given it would need to be dark, but then again that does add to the creepiness and eeriness of the whole land. Overall, the two walkthroughs are really atmospheric and set up this eeriness that is present throughout the whole land.

Murphy Mine sounds like an interesting ride, but I wish that there was more to it. If the main draw are going to be the show scenes within the ride I think it would've been neat to have had a few sentences describing just what exactly these scenes were. Museum of the Weird being brought back is always nice to see as it was a really creative concept, and Disney Park fans always seem to love it. So seeing it brough back here was great, and having it trackless automatically makes me think of Mystic Manor. I think there is a lot of potential for a great classic attraction here, but it feels like the attraction is unfinished as we got a brief synopsis and list but not a comprehensive summary.

In the Minds of Madness is clearly the big E-Ticket draw for the land. The buildup and aesthetic to the outside of the attraction adds in establishing the eeriness and foreboding feeling of the attraction. The concept is rather ambitious and fitting of the Disneyland Forward plan given how this is a first of its kind attraction. The queue for this attraction much like its façade and backstory is very well detailed. Nothing goes unexplained in the queue down the paint peeling off, leaky pipes, undecipherable monstrous images, the voices of past patients, etc. It is all unsettling and spooky a great lead up to the ride itself, and a testament to how highly themed this attraction is.

The preshow is like the anti Imagination Pavilion. One celebrates you to embrace the wildness of your brain, and this ride aims to make your brain go wild. I think it's an interesting setup for a ride, and it does give a slight villainous edge to the professor. Once again all the details such as the wailing and eerie red imagery is a great to continue the great theming and storytelling present in the attraction.

The ride system itself sounds really impressive! You weren't kidding when it was said this was going to be a groundbreaking type of ride. The concept of how this ride would work is really interesting, and matches the tone and purpose of the ride really well. The fact the ride is fully indoors is great as it allows for guests to be fully surprised as to what this ride is, and to expect the unexpected. The attraction experience itself is well bizarre! Now I say that in the best way possible given how the guests lose their insanity. This ride is crazy, and sounds truly extreme. All of the details from the projections, the shifting of the walls, the glowing of the track, and of course the lizard person were all wild. Overall this ride seems to be intense and possibly very nauseating, but at the same time it sounds like it would be a lot of fun and of course a wholly unique experience. I truly don't think there's anything similar to that ride system that I have experienced.

The Carriage House is a highly themed table service restaurant, and no detail here was overlooked. What's funny is that this is the second table service restaurant housed inside a stable like atmosphere this competition. Not that it matters given they're very different experiences, and that is great to see how similar concepts can be taken in such different ways. This dining experience, much like the rest of the land, contains an air of eeriness to it. The menu seems very in tune with the land surroundings, but again some items I wished had a bit of description as it would allow to better picture what some of these dishes were. The Grove is a nice counterpart to the Carriage House as a quick service, and also has some great desirable theming. However, I will say I wish an example of the menu was shown.

The retail options are all really well thought out. Each option sounds like an attraction of its own given how detailed each location is. Heron's Point sounds delightful, and the details are splendid. It's fantastic just how things like oxidization and one of the heron's being destroyed were ensured to be mentioned to highlight the foreboding feeling the entire land carries. Then details like the staff behavior and the vintage looking photos for the on ride photos further takes this experience into something that is fully contained into this timeline and into the world of Sinister Hollow. Memento Mori takes an already strong concept from Magic Kingdom, and was improved upon. The new details such as the creaking floorboards, shapeshifting mirror, fortune teller, and haunted toys are all great touches that makes the store feel truly alive and a part of the land's backstory. Dearly Departed while only a gift cart is an exceptionally well themed retail option, and while it's a smaller offering the team made sure to include this tiny detail that may have otherwise been forgotten.

Overall, this is a really strong project. In the Minds of Madness in particular sticks out to me as one of the most immersive and well themed attractions we have seen this entire competition. In fact much of this project is some of the best detailing we have had this competition, and time was taken to ensure that the ambience, theme, and backstory was eerie as it needed to be. However, all of this detail makes the weaker parts of this project more apparent. While the main E-Ticket soared the other two rides in the land left something to be desired; Murphy Mine in particular stuck out to me as an attraction that could've used a bit more detail to truly get a better understanding. With all that said this team did an excellent job on bringing a darker side to Disneyland, and go all in on a rather creative concept.

tcool123

Original Poster
The Imaginarium Results

I would like to thank everyone involved with the Imaginarium for making this all possible. First I would like to to take some time to thank all twelve of our players from over the course of the season.

@HomeImagineer
@Disney Dad 3000
@TheOriginalTiki
@b-wolf95
@Shannoninthemagic
@PerGron
@DisneyFan18
@Henry Mystic
@D Hulk
@JokersWild
@Brer Panther
@MickeyWaffleCo.

Next I would to thank all of the guest judges and observers for being involved this season, and providing additional commentary and at times permission to REDUX one of their prompts. So let us celebrate all of them as well.

@spacemt354
@montydysquith-navarro
@ThemeParkPriest
@Pi on my Cake
@Disney Warrior
@mickeyfan5534
@Honey Bee (Rebooted)
@DinoInstitute
@RMichael21
@AceAstro
@Outbound

Now a special thank you to the More Pooh Talk cast as it is always great to have y'all around, and I personally enjoy my More Pooh Talk time.

@JokersWild
@PerGron
@mickeyfan5534
@ThemeParkPriest
@b-wolf95

Another special thank you to @spacemt354 specifically for being a great help in guiding me to find the footing for the Imaginarium, and for creating every poster that has been utilized in all of the challenges.

And of course a thank you to all of you who have read along the entire time enjoying the Imagineering project, and the creative minds that has enabled our community to grow and thrive over the last 20 years.

Now without further ado the winner of the Imaginarium is!

@Outbound

Congratulations Outbound you have won another competition in 2021 how do you - oh... wait this is awkward word just came in that Outbound can't win? He actually didn't play in this competition? Awkward, sorry @Outbound !
I would like to say the both players that make up our final two are great. However there can only be one winner. And that winner is...

The Frontier was an original take on a concept that has been done before, but in a new way that embraces a blending of westerns and sci-fi. The land is well balanced and is rich with details. The land feels alive thanks all the kinetic energy, and small things like the robot barker at the salon, the zipping train around the rockwork, the observation tower, etc. While there were a few small issues with the finale project as a whole it was very strong. Of course this win would not be possible without the help of Team Brunch so a congratulations to them as well!

@MickeyWaffleCo.

Sinister Hollow was great and was exceptionally detailed. You can tell the heart and passion that went into much of this project. Most of the project contained that same eerie feeling and everything in the land felt connected to each other. However, the hiccups were with the parts of the project that felt unfinished. The project was to create a whole new land, and the shortcomings of the two rides did unfortunately hold back Sinister Hollow from its full potential. This was expounded by the great and vivid care and detail that went into the rest of the project. Team Breakfast you all did a great job, and don't feel discouraged. At the end of the day you all did great, and created something truly special

TheOriginalTiki

@Disney Dad 3000
AWESOME job this season. Win well deserved. In a game that was highly reliant on social skills I truly think you played one of the best "Assistant Coach" games that I've seen. You managed the rocky tides of the gameplay incredibly well while being able to be a consistent presence each and every round. You managed your threat level in a way that I couldn't and I'm stoked to see you get a second win under your belt!

@MickeyWaffleCo.
I know how much you wanted the win, so I really hope you're not too disappointed with the result. This was a fantastic season to showcase your personality and skills. You're definitely one of the newer members of the community who I'm most excited to see evolve into the next year of Imagineering games. I really think you have a lot of raw, untapped potential. As a fellow person who's never won a game on this board, you're in good company!

BIG thanks to @tcool123 for seeing this great but sometimes difficult season through to its conclusion and I'm looking forward to working with all of you in the new year. I think this game was a great testing ground that taught me as a host some lessons about strategy that I definitely aim to implement in the future of my games.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom