The "House of Magic" shop at Magic Kingdom

Sundown

Original Poster
Hi all. One of the fondest memories I have as a child at the Magic Kingdom was at a shop on Main Street that sold really cool things, where I purchased a rubber head 8" Werewolf Mego like doll (yes, the Universal one I think), various child magic tricks, and a Disney how to do magic book.

I later learned the name of this shop was "House Of Magic". And I do remember the various rubber monster masks behind the counter as well. So much fun. But there is not much online about this great store. I found this great video below, but I was wondering if anyone knows of other footage of this store?

By the way, with the resurgence of nicely designed Yester Ears t-shirts, I reached out to the designer to ask if he was thinking of doing a shirt for the House of Magic. He said he loved the store and had a bunch of reference photos, etc., but that time would tell if a shirt would be released.

Any other fans of this old magic shop? When did it disappear?

Surfin' Tuna

I always talk about that store when we walk down Main Street. Every time I start waxing poetic I can feel the wife rolling her eyes. I haven't actually seen her do it, but I know she does. I LOVED that place as a kid! I'm glad I'm not alone.

Mista C

Boy, don't even get me started on this one. Growing up as a kid in the 70's/80's the House of Magic was the ABSOLUTE highlight of my WDW vacation. I would always be allowed to buy a few tricks each trip and I had an entire collection of them at home. I used to love looking at the masks behind the counter, even though they were always too much money for me to afford. And when they moved the shop over behind the castle where Sir Mickey's is now, it was just never the same. Ahhhh, the good ole days.

mergatroid

Was my favourite shop as a child. My step brother actually bought one as those rubber masks and it was brilliant, scared my sister to death with it one night :eek::D

Otterhead

Any other fans of this old magic shop?
Easily my favorite shop on Main Street... I always bought a magic trick, gimmick, or joke there to play with on the long car ride home. There's still a magic store on Main Street in Disneyland, and it's much like I remember, with cast members doing tricks for people and items on sale ranging from a 75c joy buzzer to actual Houdini memorabilia.

mergatroid

Easily my favorite shop on Main Street... I always bought a magic trick, gimmick, or joke there to play with on the long car ride home. There's still a magic store on Main Street in Disneyland, and it's much like I remember, with cast members doing tricks for people and items on sale ranging from a 75c joy buzzer to actual Houdini memorabilia.

There was a magic shop at Downtown Disney up until a few years back that I loved. The people working there would demonstrate the various tricks and if you decided to buy them, they had a separate room where they'd teach you how to perform it. I miss that place.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
And so began my love for watching and performing magic. Stepped inside a nostalgia joke shop and exited a junior magician's apprentice. Great store. My first of many visits to magic shops throughout my childhood. Need to bring it back!!! Anyone should be able to take home some magic after their visit to The Magic Kingdom.

EOD K9

There was a magic shop at Downtown Disney up until a few years back that I loved. The people working there would demonstrate the various tricks and if you decided to buy them, they had a separate room where they'd teach you how to perform it. I miss that place.
I purchased the floating card trick. It was essentially a closet if I remember correctly.

Sundown

Original Poster
Fully agree, Animaniac93-98. Damn those places were fun & many great memories there.Since they're gone now, I'm going to live vicariously through wearing this terrific shirt.

I'm still pretty much floored that that they've made this. It's awesome.(yes, I feel kinda like a kid again...)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom