The House Cup: An Imagineering Competition - Discussion Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Probably city council issues

I wish I could tell you. Maybe if we get a patent I'll send a link your way
You are probably right. The greater metro ATL area is insanely jingoistic, each city keeping to themselves....

I live right on the border of three counties. If I walk a few hundred feet in any direction, I'm not only under county jurisdiction, but one of 4 cities.

It's stupid.

Voxel

President of Progress City
You are probably right. The greater metro ATL area is insanely jingoistic, each city keeping to themselves....

I live right on the border of three counties. If I walk a few hundred feet in any direction, I'm not only under county jurisdiction, but one of 4 cities.

It's stupid.
Yep you won't see that for years :p. Government at its best.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
untitled-jpg.147495

OK I actually watched the video...here's my lay IT person's guess.

Since you're able to access the main page it must be able to identify the nameserver of the site, but the active service html page specific to the Light Motors action and all the other internal links is expired or not found?

Voxel

President of Progress City
untitled-jpg.147495

Since you're able to access the main page it must be able to identify the nameserver of the site, but the active service html page specific to the Light Motors action and all the other internal links is expired or not found?
I believe the issue is the www before the up address it things it's looking for a website instead of a direct connection via an ip

englanddg

One Little Spark...
untitled-jpg.147495

Close. Very close.

DNS works as follows.

Take the URL above.

www.63.135.165.8/starkindustries/attractions/LMAFacade.asp

The browser and your computer (as a result) parse this in a certain way, reading sections (split by the "/" symbol) at a time.

The first section (not often shown in modern browsers) is the protocol.

This is http://

It's not shown in Chrome.

The next is the host. This is where DNS comes in, to find the host, and therefore retrieve the rest of the documents requested in the link, separated by dots.

So, with this:

top level domain = 8 (this is not valid on the Internet, though it could be on a closed network, but we won't go there...anyhow, this is not valid on the Internet. Valid top level domains on the Internet are what are approved of and managed by InterNIC and InterNIC related agencies, such as .com, .edu, .net, .tv, etc...etc...etc..)
Then = 165
Then = 135
Then = 6
Then = www

The www tells the browser that it is NOT a direct IP address, but should be run through DNS, which it ships off to the OS (operating system) to find out what it is.

Since, for two reasons, 8 is not a proper top level domain, and second, www improperly tells the browser to LOOK for said top level domain, the DNS query fails, and you as the end user get a pretty message from your browser that tells you some nonsense message that makes you think it's a lot more complex than it really is.

Get rid of the www, then the browser knows (in it's own programming) to not worry about DNS, as it has the proper address, and goes straight to the source, where it moves through the directory listing (the next few sections) to find the file it wants to load and present.

I've simplified this somewhat, but let me know if that makes sense?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Close. Very close.

DNS works as follows.

Take the URL above.

www.63.135.165.8/starkindustries/attractions/LMAFacade.asp

The browser and your computer (as a result) parse this in a certain way, reading sections (split by the "/" symbol) at a time.

The first section (not often shown in modern browsers) is the protocol.

This is http://

It's not shown in Chrome.

The next is the host. This is where DNS comes in, to find the host, and therefore retrieve the rest of the documents requested in the link, separated by dots.

So, with this:

top level domain = 8 (this is not valid on the Internet, though it could be on a closed network, but we won't go there...anyhow, this is not valid on the Internet. Valid top level domains on the Internet are what are approved of and managed by InterNIC and InterNIC related agencies, such as .com, .edu, .net, .tv, etc...etc...etc..)
Then = 165
Then = 135
Then = 6
Then = www

The www tells the browser that it is NOT a direct IP address, but should be run through DNS, which it ships off to the OS (operating system) to find out what it is.

Since, for two reasons, 8 is not a proper top level domain, and second, www improperly tells the browser to LOOK for said top level domain, the DNS query fails, and you as the end user get a pretty message from your browser that tells you some nonsense message that makes you think it's a lot more complex than it really is.

Get rid of the www, then the browser knows (in it's own programming) to not worry about DNS, as it has the proper address, and goes straight to the source, where it moves through the directory listing (the next few sections) to find the file it wants to load and present.

I've simplified this somewhat, but let me know if that makes sense?
That makes sense, thank you!!

Always love learning new things!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom