The Hometown Rivalry. Even Meg Crofton was impressed by Potter.

MotherOfBirds

Potter is without a doubt highly impressive. I've been twice, once at a VIP sneak peek and again during a soft opening and the details are amazing. The area itself is beautiful, true to the source material, and very interesting. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. WWoHP is awesome, but to think that one little snippet of one park is going to snatch the crown off Disney's head like Sandra Bullock did to Miss Rhode Island is ridiculous, especially if you consider the size of WDW. WDW is practically a city encompassing dozens of meticulously themed hotels, water parks, theme parks and experiences. If we suddenly saw Uni take the care and attention to detail that we see at Disney and in WWoHP and overhaul its parks and hotels along with cleanliness and guest service, then Disney might have cause to bite its nails.

The reason that we have seen a comparable boost in attendance at Uni is do to a combination of Potter and the economy. Potter certainly attracts a lot of people to it, but Uni is also much smaller resort with only two parks, so a family would need only a few days to experience everything at Uni. Disney is a 1-3 week event which would cost a whole lot more to see, something a lot of families can't do right now. Wait for New Fantasyland to open and then we'll see who's dominating who.

raven

The answer to Disney's welcoming Potter is in the article:

“We welcome Harry Potter to Central Florida,” said Michael Griffin, a Disney vice president. “Because experience has shown us that any new offering in this market helps draw additional visitors to our resort.

There ya go. Sounds like Universal's plan is backfiring. :lol:

People coming to Orlando to experience Potter will be tempted to visit WDW and Disney knows that. So in reality Universal is drawing tourists for Disney.

Lee

Adventurer
Th important thing, at least for me, is not where guests are being drawn to or who is dominating who in attendance. The important point is that Uni has built an area and an attraction that is far superior to anything WDW has done in at least the last 15 years.
Uni is trying harder to raise the bar on attractions, while WDW is resting on it's laurels and coasting along on it's (well earned) reputation.
WDW needs to swing for the fence again. Shoot for the "wow" factor that they seem to have forgotten about.
And, no....FLE ain't it.

raven

Th important thing, at least for me, is not where guests are being drawn to or who is dominating who in attendance. The important point is that Uni has built an area and an attraction that is far superior to anything WDW has done in at least the last 15 years.
Uni is trying harder to raise the bar on attractions, while WDW is resting on it's laurels and coasting along on it's (well earned) reputation.
WDW needs to swing for the fence again. Shoot for the "wow" factor that they seem to have forgotten about.
And, no....FLE ain't it.

That is what MOST of us would like but let's face it, it isn't going to happen. Disney is based on it's founding reputation of being a place where families can enjoy things together. I don't think they will build something just to rival Universal "just in spite" to step away from their traditions. We have to take it for what it is.

Captain Chaos

But Disney can build something with that "wow" factor, and still appeal to a broad audience, and families... They don't have to build something that eliminates kids, or adults, or males....

Fact of the matter is, Disney is becoming less appealing to people... I personally know several people who are planning on cutting their time down on their vacations, spending less time in Disney parks and more time elsewhere... In fact, during my planned trip in Sept/Oct, I am planning on spending less days in Disney's parks, and more time in Universal... And that include money spent on merchandise and in restaurants... My friend and I are planning more meals off property and over in Universal, and not booking one meal on Disney property...

I venture to say, there are other folks out there that are thinking like me....

jakeman

And please if you've never been to the WWOHP don't bash it.
And if you have been and have criticism be prepared for a deluge of fanboy comments and personal attacks thrown your way.

Good for Universal. Competition is great for the consumer.

71jason

The answer to Disney's welcoming Potter is in the article:

There ya go. Sounds like Universal's plan is backfiring. :lol:

People coming to Orlando to experience Potter will be tempted to visit WDW and Disney knows that. So in reality Universal is drawing tourists for Disney.

Nice theory, but until either park releases hard numbers (and of course, ain't gonna happen), no way to prove it.

Although...during Christmas 2010, IoA went to capacity three times. MK never went beyond a stage 3 closing--really more like a stage 2.5 closing, people with ADRs and BBB reservations were still let in--and that was only Christmas Day and NYE. None of the other parks closed. In my decade in central Florida, that may be a first (certainly a first in the last 5 years).

wdwfan22

And, no....FLE ain't it.

Well said :sohappy: Lets hope they decide to take your advice and go for the wow factor again.

jakeman

Stop fanboy
:lol:

I enjoy Potterland immensely. It's a job well done and worthy of most of the praise it is receiving.

Overall I have no problem with Potterland. There were some things that I think could have been done better, but not much. However, a rational discussion is impossible because of the extremes on both sides of the fanboy argument.

Alas, that is the internet though.

Nice theory, but until either park releases hard numbers (and of course, ain't gonna happen), no way to prove it.

Although...during Christmas 2010, IoA went to capacity three times. MK never went beyond a stage 3 closing--really more like a stage 2.5 closing, people with ADRs and BBB reservations were still let in--and that was only Christmas Day and NYE. None of the other parks closed. In my decade in central Florida, that may be a first (certainly a first in the last 5 years).
I asked in the other thread, what is the capacity of IoA compared to MK?

jt04

I'd be more inclined to believe it if it was in the WSJ.

Disney is rushing to finish Phase 1 ASAP. I believe that is a reaction to the Legoland opening on Oct 1. Time will tell.

But Disney did not rush to open anything to coincide with opening of Potter. And they had time to do so. Coincidence?

It is as they say, Disney gets overflow from people traveling to see Potter. They are getting something for nothing. But Legoland threatens the local market. So Disney is reacting. It is why the FLE showed up out of nowhere when all of our insiders were insisting "nothing new is coming to the MK for at least 5 years". :lookaroun........:zipit:........Pfffffft:ROFLOL:

Anyway, I still think a Potter swatter could be in the works but it really depends on how well IoA continues to siphon guests away from WDW. Again, time will tell.

Ignohippo

Disney can say Potter-land is bringing people to both parks, but I think the more likely reality is that many people staying at WDW are now spending at least one day of their vacations (that they would have spent at WDW in the past) at Universal.

And I would bet that many people are now choosing to stay off-site because of it as well.

trr1

I'd be more inclined to believe it if it was in the WSJ.

Disney is rushing to finish Phase 1 ASAP. I believe that is a reaction to the Legoland opening on Oct 1. Time will tell.

But Disney did not rush to open anything to coincide with opening of Potter. And they had time to do so. Coincidence?

It is as they say, Disney gets overflow from people traveling to see Potter. They are getting something for nothing. But Legoland threatens the local market. So Disney is reacting. It is why the FLE showed up out of nowhere when all of our insiders were insisting "nothing new is coming to the MK for at least 5 years". :lookaroun........:zipit:........Pfffffft:ROFLOL:

Anyway, I still think a Potter swatter could be in the works but it really depends on how well IoA continues to siphon guests away from WDW. Again, time will tell.
or if IOA expands the potter area

Disney05

I'm sure HP is a great attraction. I'd like to see it. But one addition is not going to kill the giant. They talk like Disney is going to collapse. It's a huge resort with many different avenues. When I hear the words "I'm going to Universal"! after a Super Bowl win, then I'll start to worry.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
:lol:

I enjoy Potterland immensely. It's a job well done and worthy of most of the praise it is receiving.

Overall I have no problem with Potterland. There were some things that I think could have been done better, but not much. However, a rational discussion is impossible because of the extremes on both sides of the fanboy argument.

?

I freely admit that in the last few years I enjoy my days at Uni more than Disney, but thats because there is nothing new and most of what has been added is OK. I expect Disney to be more than OK.

Potter has shown that Uni can do many of the things that the uber fans on here claim have been weaknesses. The themeing is excellent, the attraction is a very good development of technology, the Q I think is fantastic and the staff interaction is what people expect from Disney.

There are plenty of things I dont like or have no interest in, some do seem well done others are "is that it". It needs to grow the Potter area and Uni needs to manage its increased numbers. Three hotels running at high occupancy are good for the bottom line but if recent trip reports are to be believed the service levels are suffering.

Either way as a true tourist Im happy to have new experiences available as I have no undying corporate loyalty. So Meg is right in some ways but as someone pointed out I do have x number of days each trip and Disney has been getting fewer of them. Though I admit my two trips to the Tequila Cave more than offset that.

Computer Magic

And, no....FLE ain't it.
I totally agree. Disney will continue to rest on their laurels until guests make a statement by spending less $$$$ at Disney.

I freely admit that in the last few years I enjoy my days at Uni more than Disney, but thats because there is nothing new and most of what has been added is OK. I expect Disney to be more than OK.

That the problem I see, no growth factor. Maybe the problem is me by going ever year or two instead of 3-5 years. I seen a lot of changes between 1995 and 2000. Seen many new attractions when I returned in 2002. I haven't seen much since 2002 from Disney.

I haven't seen Disney more then ok since 2005. I need to follow what I preach and stop going to Disney so often. I keep hoping to find the magic Disney once brought me

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom