THE HOBBIT IS COMING!!!!! WDW better get their act together and bid on Tolkien.

Will Tolkien's World and Disney World Collide?

• I'm Geeking out here -- I sure hope so....

Votes: 51 30.4%
  • No way Nerds!!!

Votes: 64 38.1%
  • Don't Care.

Votes: 53 31.5%

• Total voters

WaltsApprentice

I don't understand why some people say they don't want it at WDW but also don't want it at Universal "just because?" Why is it you want Universal to go under? I have never for the life of me understood this ridiculous thought process.

You don't like Universal (even though you've probably never been,) Ok.. We get it.. Why do you care about what attractions they do and don't build, then?

I think its because people they they are our compition (Yes, when you say that if a family takes one day out of their "Disney Vacation" to go there then yes. but, 1) Its just one day...hey lines will be alot shorter for you and me 2) remember their whole reason for coming to orlando is to go to Disney, just because they are taking one Day out for Universal doesn't mean they wont come back, it doesn't mean Universal is going to turn them to the "Darkside" :lookaroun)

I think why people care what Universal does and doesn't do because its almost as if they are gaining/losing a good "team player" in this so called compition. I don't think Disney ever did something noticeble as creating an attraction just because someone else was doing it...that sounds more like Universal.

I also think that many people get this crazy compition stuff, and caring about what ride goes where from the not always correct Jim hill Media.:zipit: because he talks about this stuff all the time and just feeding the fire.

Don't get me wrong... I lovvvvve harry Potter and I kinda like Lotr, and it would be alot easier to see these attractions then to have to go out of my way an go to a park that I rarely go to... Um... i really didn't know were I was going with that last part...sorry it was just more of a statement :shrug:

WaltsApprentice

"dark ride" doesn't have anything to do with the tone of the ride, just an FYI. It is a style of building an attraction that is completely enclosed in a show building, using theatrical lighting effects to recreate a story, ie Peter Pan, the Haunted Mansion, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh...those are called "dark rides"quote]

Thank you for correcting me on this... but I do know what a dark ride is...and I was making a joke that disney can make any kinda of ride wether its dark (enclosed in) and light ride (out in the open). And I think if it is actually a "dark ride" it has alot to do with the tone of the ride... because like you said lighting effects have to do with everything on the ride. Sorry if this sounds a bit rude :( but I was just pointing out the fact that it doesn't matter what kind of ride they make just as long as it has a good plot line, not cheaply made, and just a quick fix. Just as long as it is good. I was only kidding..thats the problem with online messaging sometimes its taken the wrong way:hammer:. But thank you for correcting me on this, but there was not need to, but you didn't know that :) Thanks

echoscot

Thank you for correcting me on this... but I do know what a dark ride is...and I was making a joke that disney can make any kinda of ride wether its dark (enclosed in) and light ride (out in the open). And I think if it is actually a "dark ride" it has alot to do with the tone of the ride... because like you said lighting effects have to do with everything on the ride. Sorry if this sounds a bit rude :( but I was just pointing out the fact that it doesn't matter what kind of ride they make just as long as it has a good plot line, not cheaply made, and just a quick fix. Just as long as it is good. I was only kidding..thats the problem with online messaging sometimes its taken the wrong way:hammer:. But thank you for correcting me on this, but there was not need to, but you didn't know that :) Thanks

Oh, the way it looked, was like you didn't understand what they were referring to. Yep, it's hard to read context and sarcasm on these boards. I get into trouble for it too.:animwink:

wolf lightnin

I voted for "Geeking out" b/c I would love to see some LOTR attractions anywhere.

I can definitely see a Hobbit-themed ride going into Fantasyland. the whole area already looks like an expensive Rennaisance Fair anyway, and nothing says "Renn Faire Nerds" like the LOTR trilogy (and its prologue).

Tigger Time

I hope Disney doesn't get it. I read a quote from Tolkein saying that he did not want Disney to make the films of LOTR, so I doubt he would want Disney involved in any way tbh.

WaltsApprentice

I voted for "Geeking out" b/c I would love to see some LOTR attractions anywhere.

I can definitely see a Hobbit-themed ride going into Fantasyland. the whole area already looks like an expensive Rennaisance Fair anyway, and nothing says "Renn Faire Nerds" like the LOTR trilogy (and its prologue).

lol so true....:lol:

WaltsApprentice

I hope Disney doesn't get it. I read a quote from Tolkein saying that he did not want Disney to make the films of LOTR, so I doubt he would want Disney involved in any way tbh.

I remember two years ago when there was an interview I think with disney and the press asked them if they were going to make an HP ride or Lotr ride? And I believe their answer was Lotr is mostly own by Universal and if they (Disney) would make a HP ride it wouldn't be for some time......Now thats Irony! I don't have the link to the article because it was so old but I remembering it was all over the internet a while back. But I just thought it would be interesting to mention it.

Fun2BFree

I remember two years ago when there was an interview I think with disney and the press asked them if they were going to make an HP ride or Lotr ride? And I believe their answer was Lotr is mostly own by Universal and if they (Disney) would make a HP ride it wouldn't be for some time......Now thats Irony! I don't have the link to the article because it was so old but I remembering it was all over the internet a while back. But I just thought it would be interesting to mention it.

Universal DON'T have the rights to Rings. New Line or even Wingnut Films would possess these, and sign them away to the highest bidder.

echoscot

Universal DON'T have the rights to Rings. New Line or even Wingnut Films would possess these, and sign them away to the highest bidder.

It's actually shared by Newline and MGM. At one point the trilogy was being produced by Disney through Miramax films. They had acquired the rights, but didn't want to invest in the kind of money Jackson wanted to spend on the three films. They thought maybe two at most.

They allowed Jackson to shop it around, and Newline took him up on it...

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
How funny. I just watched the entire LOTR trilogy yesterday and was thinking I wish there was a Hobbit prequel.

With that said, I can't imagine an attraction based on it. Unless they wanted to do a Medieval Times dinner show type thing. I'd totally go for that.

The Orcs are a tad too scary for Disney though. They'd have to make them a bit friendlier.

The Orcs of The Hobbit were just as scary...but had greater limitations than those in LOTR (sunlight).

But I agree with you that the style doesn't quite match Disney. If they passed on Harry Potter with it's broader appeal, LOTR would never make it. Still remains to be seen if a proper Narnia attraction appears.

WaltsApprentice

The Orcs of The Hobbit were just as scary...but had greater limitations than those in LOTR (sunlight).

But I agree with you that the style doesn't quite match Disney. If they passed on Harry Potter with it's broader appeal, LOTR would never make it. Still remains to be seen if a proper Narnia attraction appears.

I agree with you on this... if they are going to do with a new attraction like this Narnia is the way to go because its an in house production ( meaning within the company... just wanted to clear that up) plus its cheaper they don't have to buy any rights. But lets just hope that its something more than a small walk through and a long movie trailer:snore:

WaltsApprentice

Like I said it was a article that transformed the whole idea of an HP ride idea coming to Disney... didn't say that Universal owned it all...I just was basically saying that it was funny that guy said that. Thank you for trying to clear up the facts.... but I don't even think I quoted the guy correctly... which I'm sorry for I thought perhaps people would have remembered the article... I'll try and look it up on my the HP fan site I go to leakynews.com :shrug: I get back to you on this....

WaltsApprentice

Like I said it was a article that transformed the whole idea of an HP ride idea coming to Disney... didn't say that Universal owned it all...I just was basically saying that it was funny that guy said that. Thank you for trying to clear up the facts.... but I don't even think I quoted the guy correctly... which I'm sorry for I thought perhaps people would have remembered the article... I'll try and look it up on my the HP fan site I go to leakynews.com :shrug: I get back to you on this....

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=1208 THATS one of the many sites that I found that has basically the same statements. I did miss quote him he never said who owned what. :( The funny thing that I did found that this annoucement was way before Jim Hill came out with more to this rumor. But anyway..thats the article I was talking about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom