The HM ring/piece of an old gate is back.

goofntink

Please help fellow WDWMAGIC premium member. I was working at the MK one night last week near It's a Small World. I lost my 16 oz Eastwing hammer,and a Stanley 2 inch chisel. If someone finds it please turn it in to lost and found. There is a reward of a Dole Whip to the person or persons who find them. I miss them very much.:cry: :( :lookaroun :ROFLOL: :D

drnilescrane

Makes me wonder why there is no Egypt in World Showcase, or an Australia.

Because Australia does not have a distinct culture or history of it's own, well at least not distinct enough to fill a pavilion - and I say this as a lifetime resident of Australia.

celestia

it looks like maitenance put new concrete *around* it now, it looks significantly like it origionally did again, not all dug up, but still there.

RareWare

Yes, many in the area missed the ring and are glad its back. I can also say the story of the maintenance man digging it up are true. Yay its back I guess... Personally I never really cared one way or another for it...

TP2000

Because Australia does not have a distinct culture or history of it's own, well at least not distinct enough to fill a pavilion - and I say this as a lifetime resident of Australia.

What?! There is a national steakhouse chain here in America that is themed entirely around Australian culture and history. http://www.outbacksteakhouse.com/ If a chain of shopping mall steakhouses can conjure up "Australia" for Americans, certainly the brilliant minds at Walt Disney Imagineering can conjure up an interesting Australia pavilion. Get Fosters Beer to sponsor it, and there will be a line to get in.

Don't fall into that Eurotrash trap that "culture" and "history" has to be over a thousand years old to be "interesting" or worthy of notice. Heck, most of what the world considers to be excitingly "American" are things that only came about in the last 50 years. (Big flashy cars, Rock N' Roll, cheeseburgers from a drive-thru window, Disneyland, etc.)

I'm sure Australia has a fascinating tale to tell regarding it's ancient history, the 1800's arrival of the British and other Europeans, and it's contemporary image as a country full of peaceful, prosperous and good-natured citizens.

Don't sell yourself or your countrymen short. You have plenty of American friends and allies who would find a well designed Australian pavilion much more interesting than a few of the other countries already represented at EPCOT. :wave:

LMA_Ops

Im a cast member at the Mansion and here is the official story about the disappearing reappearing ring.
There is a cast member at the Mansion that is very into imagineering. The cast member is very strict on the OG (operation guidelines) and isnt very good with keeping the show. Well the cast member has never like the ring and one morning there was some ride and show guys doing some routine clean ups and the cast member told them that there were some holes in the ground that guests trip on. So it was buried. Well one of our main maintenance cast members didnt like this so one morning it was dug up. And now we keep a close eye on it. We hope it will stay but we will see what happens after our referb. keep your fingers crossed. Hope this clears some things up for everyone.

Yours in service.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Then I highly doubt if your an Aussie then. Have you never heard of your countries indigenous population.

Never watched Aussie rules, never seen the life savers. Camon you could just have a bloody big bar with a rock band on, 1001 things to do with sheep, something about convicts perhaps?

Anyhoo Ill be back to look up the brides ring in august

ears2you

I wonder how many men would live to tell the tale that they bought their fiance a cast iron ring, with a hunk of steel welded on instead of a diamond? :lookaroun

it could just be rusted over or something. if it goes with the story it has been there a while. come on use the disney imagination!

SilentWindODoom

Wow, I just realized how little the thing actually looks like a ring. Hopefully it gets filled in/pulled up in the rehab. Everyone cries about bad maintenance, what this actually is, but when someone makes up a story about it, God forbid they fix the problem.

It may have been a stretch, but it was still a beloved piece of Mansion lore for thousands of people. Disney knew that. It's not like a kid looked at the ring, asked "Daddy, what's that?" and his father said "Oh, it's a ring." and that's as far as it got. This was one of those small little bits of Disney trivia, like the Presidents in Spaceship Earth, or the page to Tom Morrow in the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. Yes, it wasn't planned by the Imagineers, but it was still a legend nonetheless, and it was perpetuated by many a CM. It's not just because a story was made up, but because of how close that story has come to many of our hearts, and how widespread it was. And we know that Disney has to know this. If they didn't, why did Disney auction off a ring?

As for the Australian pavillion, I'd thought of adding countries to the World Showcase, and drew a few pavillions as they would fit into the current Showcase. One of them was Australia, which, along with Russia, Greece, and Egypt, I was shocked didn't have representation.

On the water, on one side of the promenade there would be an urban area, with a smaller version of the Sydney Opera House (like the old models show). The other side would be the wilderness, surrounded by red rock with Ayers Rock popping up in the background. There would be a gator farm which would contain a show, a rustic steakhouse built into the side of the rock, and an Aborigine village. It could work well.

RatherBinDisney

"Most of the male audio-animatronics in Spaceship Earth are former presidents. When the Hall of Presidents was first made, they made detailed molds for the faces of the presidents. Then when Spaceship Earth was built, they used the same molds and put different hair, costumes, make-up, etc. to create the different characters.

Regarding the presidents in Spaceship Earth: Specifically, Gutenberg is James Buchanan, and the lute player from the Renaissance musicians is Dwight D. Eisenhower. Rock on, Ike!"

:ROFLOL:

Nevermind, all I have to do is look around to find an answer!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom