"The Happiest place on Earth!" Justified?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
A couple questions. Is it justified as being the happiest place on earth? If not, which place in the world is all around a happier place to be?

Also, it probably doesn't matter, but would Disneyland or Disney World be thought of as being that "place" or does it depend on your geographical location and which park you have been to?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Depends if your happiness is defined by loyalty to a corporate operated amusement park.

Im pretty sure families of returning service personnel and recovering sick children are able to experience far greater happiness in less salubrious surroundings than those encountered by a holidaying tourist.

Happiness is where you find it.

tampabrad

Any Disney park I am in is the Happiest place for me. Paris, Hong Kong, Japan, California or Florida doesn't matter.

As for geographic location, I love 1 hour away from WDW, so I go there much more often than the other properties. At least twice a month for WDW, Once every 2 years for California, and only once for the over seas parks. Plus, if I am going anywhere outside of WDW, it is a multiday/week trip to see other places along with stops at Disney.

rsoxguy

Man Phil, you are waxing philosophically today.
The whole happiness thing is just a company slogan. You can't take it beyond that. Remember the slogan, "Mm Mm Good"? I have never felt the obligation to say those words after consuming a can of Campbell's Soup. It's just a marketing tool for them, as is the whole "happiest place on earth" thing for Disney.
If you desire my philosophical take on happiness, here you go. Happiness exists everywhere that you go as long as it rests within your heart. Joy is dependent upon you, not your surroundings or circumstances. :wave:

Atomicmickey

Yes, I think so. In context. Of course, you're paying to be there, they are a company, these are not your friends and family (but you do bring them there to share in the fun). So, in the knowledge that it is a manufactured happiness, I embrace it. It does make me feel happy to be there. I do have other happy places, all of which are wild and unfabricated, though.

I often remark to myself while in WDW, "this isn't real, it isn't the way things are, but it is the way things should be". Smiles, dreams, magic, family, fun, sun, food, and joy. Ahhh.

Club Cooloholic

The Riviera Maya in Mexico is a pretty happy place. And not just the resorts, the people of that region are some of the nicest folks, and just happy too. Key West is a pretty great spot for happiness too, Jimmy Buffett was on to something there :)

twinnstar

It is for me! I grew up on Disney and in Disney Parks... I have memories there. I love visiting and i always have a great time! so - YES! :)

I know things are expensive, and its a company and they are out to get my hard earned money, etc etc....but, sometimes, you need to just let loose and have a good time. if its something that means a lot to you, and you know you'll have fun - save it, pay it, and forget about it and have a good time.

Also i dont think it matters on your location - i think it applies to ANY Disney Property!

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I often remark to myself while in WDW, "this isn't real, it isn't the way things are, but it is the way things should be". Smiles, dreams, magic, family, fun, sun, food, and joy. Ahhh.

This is the kind of thing I am thinking about. I know a couple posts claimed it was "manufactured happiness" but I don't buy it.

For starters, yes I am happy sitting at home with my wife and watching a movie. That is true happiness to me. But outside my doors there are car accidents, robberies, theft, cheating, stealing etc. In Disney World there is an aura that many (all?) of us feel when we are there that we can't get by just going to the grocery store. There is a sense of calmness, a sense of joy and for some reason people treat each other with that extra second of respect. Call it manufactured all you want, but you can't manufacture a person's heart or feelings. You can't tell someone how they feel or how they should feel. But the joy that surrounds you makes you feel that way. To me, that is real, at least in my heart of hearts that is real.

As for the slogan "Happiest place on earth" yeah I get it Disney itself has sold that idea. But you don't have a slogan last 55+ years if it isn't true and almost universally agreed upon.

What I am trying to ask people is that while you can be generally happy wherever you go there has to be that one place in the world that you are just that much happier than anywhere else? For me it's Disne. For a lot of people it is Disney. Is there a place better for some?

ABigBrassBand

Depends if your happiness is defined by loyalty to a corporate operated amusement park.

Im pretty sure families of returning service personnel and recovering sick children are able to experience far greater happiness in less salubrious surroundings than those encountered by a holidaying tourist.

Happiness is where you find it.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

zurgandfriend

I agree with the others happiness is where you find it. I always do find happines at Walt Disney World, Charlie Sheen maybe not so much.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I agree with the others happiness is where you find it. I always do find happines at Walt Disney World, Charlie Sheen maybe not so much.

Haha, you're thinking of Two and a Half Men aren't you? I know in one episode Charlie is irritated with Disneyland and he says "Happiest place on earth my Snow White (you know what)".

But in other episodes he talks joyfully about Disneyland. Once he says to Alan regarding Paris: "Did you know they have their own Disneyland there?" But yeah a drunk like that might not find the joy in it either :D

ryno1982

By "it" I hope you mean Disneyland, because that is and will always be "The happiest place on Earth." Walt Disney World is referred to as "The most magical place on Earth," and it drives me nuts when people get it wrong.

mickeysbrother

If the world was like disney it would be a better place. It is the happiest place on earth slogan or not. I mean when ever i feel down a disney commercial or watching a ride on you tube cheers me up. You remember the times u went with parents or children. You are in a happy state of mind when ur in the parks. For me nothing bothers me. On the most part you see happy families laughing together cast members always smiling, being helpfull and all of the disney touches that come with it. I think thats what he was trying to say when he started this thread.

Rich1

I am also very annoyed when ppl call WDW "the happiest place on earth" there can only be one of something when it is the "happiest" or whatever "...est". Disneyland (although I've never been) is considered the happiest place on earth while WDW is the most magical. It may seem stupid but I actual correct people when they say this..I think it's important :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom