The Halloween/Christmas parties throw off attendance levels for 1/3rd of the year now

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The longterm movement seems to be steering people toward “block pricing”...these lead straight to it. Until upsells are rejected as a movement, they will continue to achieve their financial goals and intensify these.

I can only imagine how much rage there is between Burbank and San Francisco about no upsell potential in the Star Wars lands. Hard to sell “premium events” when nobody wants to go in the first place. It’s like having a cover charge at Burger King

Last edited:

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've struggled forever with the fact that we're not getting back the Disneyworld that we had 10 or 15 years ago when there were actually seasons of downtime but the fact is that we're not getting those days back. Parties or no parties that's just the reality. There are still some parts of the year that are clearly not as bad as others but relatively speaking it is still much more crowded now. I mean all my life the People Mover was a walk on but in the last couple of years even THAT ride will sometimes have a 20min wait. It's ridiculous.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Besides OP is local so they have more flexibility than someone that has to get vacation time, book flights, book rooms and make sure everything works in those specific dates. If OP wants to be picky they can be so no reason to come on here complaining about it.
This is true, but my second point is still being ignored. The parties don't just make it more difficult to enjoy Magic Kingdom 4 or 5 nights a week, they inflate the crowds at the other three parks 4 or 5 nights a week. They create a worse experience for everyone basically across the board and are yet another thing on the mile long list that non-locals have to plan and coordinate around.

thomas998

This is true, but my second point is still being ignored. The parties don't just make it more difficult to enjoy Magic Kingdom 4 or 5 nights a week, they inflate the crowds at the other three parks 4 or 5 nights a week. They create a worse experience for everyone basically across the board and are yet another thing on the mile long list that non-locals have to plan and coordinate around.
Unless you plan on going to the parties I would never suggest someone visit WDW when they are doing the Halloween or Christmas parties for that simple reason. I've had quite a few people ask me at work about going during fall break since I am known to go so often and when I realized they weren't going to do the Halloween party it would take me way too much time trying to explain how things worked to be worth my time. I'm not a travel agent, so I just started asking if they were going to do the Halloween party and if they said no I just say then don't go.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Question
How hard is it to "plan" around?? I mean basically look at a calendar. Does it really add extra planning?? People I know don't seem to have any issue??

Animaniac93-98

Question
How hard is it to "plan" around?? I mean basically look at a calendar. Does it really add extra planning?? People I know don't seem to have any issue??

Disney wants you to book 180 days out or more, but does not always have party dates, refurbishment times or finalized park hours available. They always state that these things are subject to change, but that does not mean changing reservation or FP times is as easy.

Not that I expect you of all people to understand that, but in case others take your argument seriously.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Or let’s say someone lands a coveted dinner reservation at a restaurant at an MK resort. They don’t want to spring for park hopper passes. So they think, “hmm, we should go to MK in that day.” But wait, MK closes stupidly early and it would be a waste of a single day ticket.

stuff like that.

eliza61nyc

Disney wants you to book 180 days out or more, but does not always have party dates, refurbishment times or finalized park hours available. They always state that these things are subject to change, but that does not mean changing reservation or FP times is as easy.

Not that I expect you of all people to understand that, but in case others take your argument seriously.

It wasn't an argument, it was a question. I thought for reservations did not occur until 60 days out, that's really the hard part. Dining reservations are much more flexibility unless some just has to have CRT or something like that.

So yeah, me of all people, gets to ask.

thomas998

The fact that Disney requires reservations for somethings 180 days out others only start at 60 has always been a pain the backside. It would be nice if they had some consistency in the timing given their current system pretty much requires planning to maximize the experience.

Disneyfreak Jen

MK is always a s***show. I typically rope drop and bail out by about noon. Saturday’s are always ridiculous, even in January.
I agree that the parties have a lot to do with it, also, when the parks were built all those years ago they didn’t have the massive crowds that attend now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The fact that Disney requires reservations for somethings 180 days out others only start at 60 has always been a pain the backside. It would be nice if they had some consistency in the timing given their current system pretty much requires planning to maximize the experience.
The fact they have so many hard reservations for “fun” is ridiculous on a fundamental level...but everybody goes along with it.

60 day notice to ride a rollercoaster from 1975...what’s not normal about that?🤪

phillip9698

Maybe the party tickets are less than a regular ticket early on or if you are getting an AP discount but they are current 115 a pop which I believe is more than a regular ticket now. I remember long ago when they were much less but I think the party tickets have been increasing faster than the regular tickets recently.

Yeah we usually attend in September when the prices are lower. Even at full price I'd still pay because nobody is riding rides except for Haunted Mansion.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
MK is always a s***show. I typically rope drop and bail out by about noon. Saturday’s are always ridiculous, even in January.
I agree that the parties have a lot to do with it, also, when the parks were built all those years ago they didn’t have the massive crowds that attend now.
I’m definitely not a morning person so as a local I can never ever bring myself to get to any park for rope drop. However I typically go to the parks late afternoon. The temperature starts going down, the crowds gradually lighten up, and the parks are beautiful at night. Usually I get lucky if I go to MK for the evening and it’s open late but isn’t a weekend or peak season.
But if it’s open late because it’s not a party night then it’s still slammed.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
It appears that these special events/parties are loosing popularity with repeat customers. Many are loosing interest due to Disney overselling them and the park being too crowded as a result.

We don't see value in them, but many others do, I guess.
We visit another park on days when these events take place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom