The Guns are back!

Stitch79

Original Poster
Looks like they are making some changes for the better for once. :sohappy:

Disney takes aim at anniversary
Guns are back on the Jungle Cruise as Disneyland celebrates its founding.
By Kimi Yoshino
Los Angeles Times

October 21, 2004

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Hippos beware: The Jungle Cruise skippers are packing heat again.

And a caution to humans: Disneyland engineers are devising a safe way to return the stomach-churning spins to the teacups in the Mad Tea Party ride.

Many fans are cheering what appears to be a turnaround on political correctness, after watching the "Happiest Place on Earth" in recent years not just disarm the skippers and de-spin the teacups, but also strip mock frontier rifles from Tom Sawyer Island and stop marauding pirates from chasing frightened maidens in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Disneyland officials describe the changes as a move to recapture some of Walt Disney's original vision by "restoring the magic" to the park as it gears up for its 50th birthday next year.

"I've just been happy as a pig in mud," said Disney watchdog Al Lutz, founder of miceage.com. "I think they went too far in one direction and now they're course-correcting. They've gone back to the way they used to do things."

Not quite. Tom Sawyer Island is still gun-free, and the pirates continue to chase the wenches for their food, not their bodies.

But Disney watchers say the park is making improvements.

Disneyland spokesman Bob Tucker said engineers will return the spin to the teacups early next year. And the guns came back to the Jungle Cruise this month.

"It really feels like, for the 50th anniversary, we're bringing the adventure back," said Sherri Ribble, a second-generation Jungle Cruise skipper.

The company is celebrating Disneyland's 50th at all its parks. At the Magic Kingdom in Florida, the classic It's a Small World indoor boat ride is being refurbished and should reopen in the spring. And guns have returned to the East Coast version of the Jungle Cruise.

The park removed the weapons from the ride in 1998, the same year Disney's Animal Kingdom opened. Park executives thought it sent the wrong message for operators to "shoot" at an animatronic hippo with a theme park stressing animal conservation next door, spokeswoman Kim Prunty said.

The old firearms shot blanks. The new ones, installed this week, will be "simulated" weapons that will send a gunshot sound through the boat's speakers. Another change: The guns will be aimed in the air, not at the hippos, Prunty said.

As for the Mad Tea Party, "Our teacups have never lost their spin," Prunty said.

wild01ride

Hip-hip Hooray! :sohappy:

Talk about a step in the right direction, FINALLY, for management to preserve some of the Magic and fun that we all dearly love!

Let's hope they can see that a LOT of their policy has been in the WRONG direction for a while now!

There is hope...for "a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!" :animwink:

TheDisneyGirl02

Sounds like fun! I didn't go on the Jungle Cruise this past weekend, so I didn't see if the guns were back. But didn't JC just come back up after being renovated?

TheDisneyGirl02

Moustronaut

Stitch79 said:
and the pirates continue to chase the wenches for their food, not their bodies.

Now I'm convinced that I saw WDW's PoC has the women chasing off the pirates.

I remember the first time I saw two women being chased by pirates then a third large woman chasing off a pirate with a broom.

Then I remember the news stories about this not being PC.

And the last few times I've been I swear I saw all 3 women chasing off pirates.

Am I remembering this correctly?

matt&helen

The last time I went, 9/20/04 they still had the women chasing the men in WDW. I assume it is the other way around at DL. Hopefully it will change or has already changed at WDW.

bhg469

it would be cool to be on the first cruise with the guns back, i would cheer and everyone would think i was crazy. well more crazy than i usually am

MissM

Moustronaut said:

I remember the first time I saw two women being chased by pirates then a third large woman chasing off a pirate with a broom.

As of my last trip in July, yes. The women were chasing the pirates and the one large lady was chasing the pirate with a broom. (I think another had a rolling pin as well.) The pirates used to chase the women except for the large woman at the end - which made it funny. I don't know if DL has their pirates chase women carrying food or not, but the WDW pirates have been stuck in an PC rut for years now.
-m

WDWFanatic

I hate political correctness, its a historical fact that pirates chased women and looted. Whats next? Pirates rebuilding the town? Donating gold to the womens foundation?

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
As for the teacups, it seems there were some issues with the safety of the teacups, and they were adjusted so you'd need Hulk Hogan to spin them at all. The tension is so great that it's almost impossible to get them to spin. (over at Disneyland anyway)

Captain Hank

WDWFanatic said:
I hate political correctness, its a historical fact that pirates chased women and looted. Whats next? Pirates rebuilding the town? Donating gold to the womens foundation?

Sorry for the double post, but I couldn't resist: Instead of drunken pirates in a jail cell, the attraction's finale will now consists of a PA, or Pirates Anonymous meeting.

"[cough] Uh, ahoy mateys, I'm Captain Jack, and...I'm...I'm...I'm a pirate."

"AARR Captain Jack!"

PurpleDragon

FamilyMan said:
As for the teacups, it seems there were some issues with the safety of the teacups, and they were adjusted so you'd need Hulk Hogan to spin them at all. The tension is so great that it's almost impossible to get them to spin. (over at Disneyland anyway)
I believe they did the same at WDW. I've gotten a pretty good workout the last few times we have ridden the teacups. My arms felt like they were going to fall off. Although I get the teacup spinning so fast that we always end up getting dizzy and falling over getting out, so maybe I should tone it down a bit. :hammer:

waltdisny

Moustronaut said:

Yep, they switched it. For some reason they decided it was less violent to have the women chase the men with sharp weapons like pitch-forks. Oh, and the heavy woman who used to chase the pirate with a broom now just chases him with her arms open.

I'm told this is more PC, and less degrading.:rolleyes:

Figment1986

Can POTC go down for 2 months... and undo-the certine PC fixes... Drunk pirates chasing women... Making we wants the redhead louder... :lookaroun

Hank Scorpio

Superb news! :sohappy:

Hopefully this will shut up those hypercritical PC idiots that have a wish to change everything loved by everyone else but themselves and they crawl back in their cave for good. Oh and can we then concrete on top of the cave and put a meet & greet or something? That way, they won't ever come out!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom