Trip Report The GRAND Birthday! *COMPLETED*

“Hey, Ma ~ you’re about to celebrate a BIG birthday. What are you going to do next?”
“I’m going to Disney World!”

If it were only as simple as it sounds in the commercial. But we all know that real life rarely aligns with what is portrayed on TV....or for that matter (dare I say?) social media. My mother was hitting a milestone on 2/1/2019 and I wanted to take her to her favorite vacation destination to celebrate. (The fact that it also happens to be mine was a bonus!) However when I presented the idea to her back in the fall, she was reluctant to accept my offer.

Ten years ago our extended family went to WDW to celebrate her last big birthday. During that trip, paramedics were called because my infant nephew was experiencing breathing difficulties; my sister-in-law got either food poisoning or a bad case of stomach flu which necessitated a doctor coming to her resort room (and an extended stay); and my dear Woody came down with similar symptoms which resulted in an ambulance ride to the ER on the night we arrived home.

Needless to say that was the end of our extended family vacations.

I had to clarify with Mom that I wasn’t planning a big gathering. Still, she wasn’t sure she wanted to go. My father was recovering from some recent health challenges and she was uncertain she’d feel comfortable leaving him. She asked for some time to think it over.

Meanwhile I jumped on some cheap airfare and booked the hotel, figuring it was worth the risk. Just before Thanksgiving, with my dad’s blessing, Mom decided she would like to go.

“Where will we stay?” she asked.
“It’s a big event. Where do you think we should stay?” I answered.
Mom paused and without waiting for her reply I continued: “It’s going to be a grand celebration, so we must stay at the Grand Floridian!”
Mom choked up and said, “I never thought I’d ever be able to stay there.”

Well now she has! And we had a wonderful time at the resort and in the parks. There was even a surprise or two.

As for this:
That's the interesting thing -- something new, fun, or outright bizarre happens on all your trips, and that's what keeps us coming back for more. It's kinda like a written version (with photos), of a Tuvalu WDW reality show. :p Looking forward to the next installment in the series.
Stay tuned for the bizarre!

I wish this trip could have been mother/daughter/granddaughter. Sadly, Em was unable to join us.

Who: Tuvalu and Mom
When: January 29 - February 2, 2019
Where: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa (the “and Spa” gets me every time!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I can never get hubby to eat pedestrian food when we are in the park... he does not want hamburgers/hotdogs/pizza... he's fancy apparently!
The water and flour for the dough are imported....would that be fancy enough for him? 😜

E, J & I ate there the week after you & didn't "love" our poor service either......
I look forward to reading about it. :bookworm:

...and unfortunately the server has the ability to make or break the meal.
Very true!

I definitely would prefer your $29 pizza over the special. Hopefully going to try via napoli in November for first time🍕
I hope you have a great meal. Love your new avatar!

This part confuses me. Why would you have to go through a second security check? C’mon Disney.
The new security process screens all passengers before boarding a monorail ~ I get that. But the Epcot monorail exit is outside the current security screening area, forcing those monorail passengers (who have already been screened) to be checked for a second time. Switching the current exit ramp with the current entrance ramp (which is inside Epcot) would solve the problem. But Disney didn’t ask for my advice. :joyfull:

susan lees

The water and flour for the dough are imported....would that be fancy enough for him? 😜

Very true!

The new security process screens all passengers before boarding a monorail ~ I get that. But the Epcot monorail exit is outside the current security screening area, forcing those monorail passengers (who have already been screened) to be checked for a second time. Switching the current exit ramp with the current entrance ramp (which is inside Epcot) would solve the problem. But Disney didn’t ask for my advice. :joyfull:
Aww thank you. Thought I should reveal myself 😂

MickeyCB

Very true!

Love your solution for exiting the monorails and not having a second screening. Also you would think Disney would like your idea because it would be a huge decrease in volume for the security people at Epcot, and maybe they would be a little less grumpy, maybe?

Laura Loves Tigger

I am firmly in the hate category for Via Napali. My daughter and I ate there once. Never again. It was incredibly noisy ( my daughter has some sensory issues), the service was horrible I ordered an individual pizza and she ordered spaghetti and meatballs. Her spaghetti was delivered to the table. My pizza arrived 15 minutes later. We never saw our server from when we ordered until she arrived with the bill. Never got drink refills. We laugh about it now, but she always reminds me when we are in EPCOT that we are never eating there again!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

After lunch we didn’t feel like making the complete loop around World Showcase so we retraced our steps from Italy to Mexico. Since we were returning to Epcot tonight, a rest back in the room was in order. But before leaving the park we popped in here:

(Do you see an S after the R in GEAR? Didn’t think so. 😉)

I had to pick up the AP Figment magnet, which of course I gave to Mom.

My dad had given Mom some money for her birthday, to be used for a special souvenir. Mom had her heart set on a Mickey watch and she found a lovely one in MouseGear.

And she’s trendy since the watch is trimmed in rose gold!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My dad had given Mom some money for her birthday, to be used for a special souvenir. Mom had her heart set on a Mickey watch and she found a lovely one in MouseGear.

That's pretty. Haven't looked at Disney watches for years, but I recall they were all more sporty. Your mom's watch was more subtle and refined. Very nice birthday gift! :happy: Also, it complements nicely with the thin, stone gold/metal bracelet.

KBLovedDisney

Thursday, con’t

After lunch we didn’t feel like making the complete loop around World Showcase so we retraced our steps from Italy to Mexico. Since we were returning to Epcot tonight, a rest back in the room was in order. But before leaving the park we popped in here:

View attachment 353787
(Do you see an S after the R in GEAR? Didn’t think so. 😉)

Wait. Where is the S? :eek:

Oh wait. Mouse "Gear" like clothing accessories...
giphy.gif

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

Once back at the GF, we found this creation in our room.

We decided it was a pig.

Minnie had been placed among the pillows.

Mom FaceTimed my dad to show him her watch. I lounged on the bed watching the boat traffic on Seven Seas Lagoon. We both agreed it felt good to put our feet up!

An hour or so later there was a knock on our door.

“Must be housekeeping wanting to turn down our room early again,” I sighed and got up to answer the door.

Only I knew that it wasn’t housekeeping. It was Mom’s big surprise.

In walked her beloved nephew....and my favorite cousin....JB.

JB has a history of surprising us on our birthdays. He had contacted me a couple weeks earlier wanting to surprise Mom by coming to Atlanta, “unless you are planning to whisk her away to Disney.”

JB knows me all too well!

So we began plotting his secret arrival. I added him to our ADRs and FPs. We kept our fingers crossed that Mom wouldn’t suspect anything and we pulled it off. :happy:

(Note that pig and Minnie were quickly tossed aside!)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We chatted for a short while and then grabbed our jackets to return to Epcot. After our horrible issues this morning, I wanted to allow plenty of time to get to the park.

We had minimal waits for both monorails and literally walked through security and the turnstiles. Hooray!

JB has been to WDW a grand total of 4 times over the last 4 decades (and always with me.) His last visit was 10 years ago and he doesn’t plan to return again until 2029....for Mom’s next big birthday!

I can’t believe we’re related.

So while he’s not exactly a newbie, most everything is “new” to him as you’ll see by the comments he makes.

He was quite intrigued by the magical lighting in the pavement.

“What the heck?!” (Only he didn’t say heck.)

Mom attempted to make the illumination darker.

JB’s mind was blown and we’d only been inside Epcot five minutes.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Once I was able to pull JB and Mom away from the bright shiny sidewalk, we headed for the Land pavilion. We had FPs for Soarin’. As we stepped off the escalator I noticed there was practically no line for the Farm Ride.

“Let’s do this first!” I suggested enthusiastically.

“Greenhouses?” JB scowled. Great, he remembers this ride.

“It’ll be fun,” I assured him. Famous last words.

The greenhouses do take on a different look at night.

Time to sleep, sunflowers!

Creepy glow!

Our tour seemed to be progressing more slowly than usual. On two different occasions a CM spoke over the PA, “Please remain seated at all times!” which I thought was odd.

We were 3 boats back from the unloading platform when the ride stopped completely.

Another “Please remain seated!” announcement. “We are going to power down and then restart the attraction. This may take a couple minutes. Thank you for your patience.”

Additional boats began to pile up behind us.

The first restart didn’t work. Neither did the second. Or the third.

The exit was mere steps away and we were trapped. Almost 20 minutes passed and the natives were growing restless. Then someone decided to take matters into his own hands....

Which led to this.....

.....and this.

The CMs were going ballistic. “Please stay in your seats! DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR BOATS! Remain seated!”

But the “you can’t tell me what to do” crowd was having none of it. Never mind that their safety was at stake! Even though we were dangerously close to the end time for our Soarin’ FP, we stayed put. More CMs arrived to control the exodus and restarted the ride for the 4th time.

The boats began to move!

“We’ve been stuck for 22 minutes!” I grumbled to Mom and JB. It was a comment I’d regret, since the two of them would mercilessly tease me about it for the duration of our vacation. After all, I was the one who insisted we ride it.

A cast member at the exit offered to scan our bands to give us a FP for our inconvenience. Yes! Being patient yielded a reward.

A reward that was essentially useless, as most attractions were closing in a half hour.

Last edited:

slipperalwaysfits

WHAT AN EPIC SURPRISE FOR YOUR MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!;););):D:D:D Good job! It's sweet he surprises her on big birthdays!
Even for us Disney peeps that go a lot, so many things change so often, it's fun to notice all the little and big changes! Man! If you didn't get on Soarin' because the Land stopped, that would stink!

I can't believe so many people just got off the boats, I can see how that would be super frustrating to the CM's. Sweet they wanted to give you an extra fp! Were you able to use it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom