The General Gardening Thread

Ricky Spanish

Blueberries do well here must have 20 plants put gallons in the freezer every year. Started picking sugar snap peas and greens beans. Tomatoes are about 4 1/2 ' tall and full of green tomatoes, salad tomatoes are just starting to ripen. Will be starting some sweet potatoes and plant them in the other garden I just tilled up. I'm jealous can't grow raspberries here.
And I’m envious of your garden progress.
Its a balmy 41 right now in Chicago, after two days of 70 degree weather.
Like the saying here goes, “ If you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes”.

Also, my best friend lives on Lake Murray and he goes shrimping at the coast every year.
Its been a few years since he’s “coolered out” but he always shares.
The best shrimp!

Willmark

Original Poster
Its a balmy 41 right now in Chicago, after two days of 70 degree weather.
Like the saying here goes, “ If you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes”.
I can relate. Here in Western NY we are at the confluence of weather from Canada and it coming from the Midwest as well as weather off Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.

Practically speaking that means really cold snowy winters, wet cold springs, brief blistering humid summers and wet rainy autumns.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
👍 Your new garden looks awesome Willmark! Thanks for showing us all your hard work! :cool: Can't wait to see it planted! Are you adding fertilizer to your boxes before planting? Got some 5 5 5 to mix in my raised bed.....we might hit 31 Friday night.....:oops:.
I recall raccoons really liked to get into my corn when I had some years back....they seem to know just when it is ready....🤔. I ordered a bean tower to attempt a larger harvest in my huge galvanized tub.....had been using 8 foot bamboo poles in a tepee style prior.

Bean Tower vegetable support | Buy from Gardener's Supply Bean Tower, Heavy Gauge Bean Trellis - Green - Gardener's Supply ...

Willmark

Original Poster
Planting??? PPPFFFFTTTTTT

It was 60 today, but had to work.

This weekend however, the dropping of temps this afternoon to now 44 and (still dropping) means no planting for a while. The weekend is calling for snow and lake effect snow and record low "high" temperatures. Its predicted that it won't get out of the upper 30s/low 40s for the high on Saturday.

ImperfectPixie

This weekend however, the dropping of temps this afternoon to now 44 and (still) dropping means no planting for a while. The weekend is calling for snow and lake effect snow and record low "high" temperatures. Its predicted that it won't get out of the upper 30s/low 40s for the high on Saturday.
We're in the same boat here in MA...snow predicted. BLECH. The boys and I did get outside to play with some of those stinky liquid plastic bubbles that don't pop though, so that was fun.

21stamps

This weekend however, the dropping of temps this afternoon to now 44 and (still dropping) means no planting for a while. The weekend is calling for snow and lake effect snow and record low "high" temperatures. Its predicted that it won't get out of the upper 30s/low 40s for the high on Saturday.

I have not planted my 20something plants yet. Due to the weather. I take them out in the sun every morning before I leave for work, then put back in the garage in the evening. I’m afraid the cold temps will kill them before they even get a chance to grow.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Darn polar vortex......saw a few more flakes this morning but doesn't appear any frost damaged my perennials, I did cover some ferns just beginning to unfurl, but it is a blessing it did not rain at all as predicted in forecast, or I think that would have been much worse. Saw neighbors using sheets to cover seeds planted in their ground veggie gardens.....hope everyone here has not suffered plant loss or damage! Better days are coming!!!:cool:🌱🌻🌽🌶🥬🍅🥒👍

Willmark

Original Poster
I had a break in the weather, not crazy warm today but warm enough to get the remaining “boxes” dug out.

By my calculations I dug out about 5 cubic yards of heavy, wet western NY clay all told. My back concurs with this calculation.

Still a long way to go but the major grunt work is at least complete. Probably some widening here and there but it’s now 20x30. There will be more digging in a few spots but that’s a few weeks off. This weekend I hope to have some fence sections dug and constructed. Next Wednesday 5 cubic yards of garden soil is being delivered.

One planting of note: the honey crisp apple trees errr, sticks... arrived so had to plant them ASAP after soaking them for a couple of hours.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I had a break in the weather, not crazy warm today but warm enough to get the remaining “boxes” dug out.

By my calculations I dug out about 5 cubic yards of heavy, wet western NY clay all told. My back concurs with this calculation.

Still a long way to go but the major grunt work is at least complete. Probably some widening here and there but it’s now 20x30. There will be more digging in a few spots but that’s a few weeks off. This weekend I hope to have some fence sections dug and constructed. Next Wednesday 5 cubic yards of garden soil is being delivered.

One planting of note: the honey crisp apple trees errr, sticks... arrived so had to plant them ASAP after soaking them for a couple of hours.

Oh my, maybe take some Advil for your back. Glad that you'll have a restful break before you have to do the final digging, in a few weeks.

I like apples. :) How many years does it take for the apple trees to grow? (I'm guessing maybe 2 years at minimum?)

Willmark

Original Poster
Oh my, maybe take some Advil for your back. Glad that you'll have a restful break before you have to do the final digging, in a few weeks.

I like apples. :) How many years does it take for the apple trees to grow? (I'm guessing maybe 2 years at minimum?)
Depends these ones probably have several years to go. They are not the limbless ones I was looking for, but they are honey crisp.

So limbless goes to phase 2 next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom