The Fear of Dopey

Kermit262

Original Poster
Yesterday was a beautiful spring evening and my wife and I were playing with our granddaughter in the backyard. I told my wife I had to go for a run and she suggested I blow it off. Normally that would be tempting but instead I spontaneously answered, “No way - I’ve got the fear of Dopey in me.”

You might not think that a race that’s 252 days away would focus you like a laser on your training runs, but the Dopey is a different beast entirely. In fact since February when I started to think I might sign up for it, I’ve been committed to each and every run. And now that I’ve signed up I’m even more focused.

I’ve joked with my wife and daughter that if the Dopey should get the best of me while on the race course, I want them to be the ones to draw the chalk line around my body, and not some random police officials. :hilarious: I’m determined not to let that happen though by training like a man possessed. When you’ve got the fear of Dopey in you, you’ve got significant motivation to do so! :eek:

216bruce

Same here. I too am a grandpa and a runner. While I took my training fairly serious for last years Half Marathon it's nothing like this time for Dopey. I'm pretty intimidated and just want to finish, but man I am stoked for this. Good luck fellow grandpa!

Kermit262

Original Poster
Thanks 216bruce - good luck to you too! I would think no matter what your age, most runners would have to take this challenge very seriously. But like you I'm super excited for it. After the marathon I'm heading straight to the Pirates of the Caribbean. That's going to be my celebration ride. :)

Texas84

I was worried about the Disneyland Dumbo Challenge and was surprised at how strong I was during the half. Like the 10K was a warm-up.

But I won't get serious about Dopey until this fall. Looking forward to those morning 8-mile runs with Hal Higdon. :hungover:

Ariel484

But I won't get serious about Dopey until this fall. Looking forward to those morning 8-mile runs with Hal Higdon. :hungover:
I am NERVOUS for those!!!

I totally get what you mean. I'm one of *those* runners that takes my sweet time during Disney races, and I know if I show up undertrained to the point where I cannot fully enjoy the experience I will hate myself. So that's the motivation for me to get out there. :)

atrus79

Dopey Fear is a real thing ... between training and analyzing my numbers identifying how much 'character time' I can have during the maration, I am obsessed with Marathon Weekend and it's so far away. The way I'm looking at things ... look at each race individually and don't look at the whole thing as one piece ... it isn't as intimadating that way :)

I was worried about the Disneyland Dumbo Challenge and was surprised at how strong I was during the half. Like the 10K was a warm-up.

I'm planning on doing the Dumbo Challenge in 2015 ... the course looks boring after your out of Disneyland/California Adventure. Is it better than it looks on paper/maps?

Texas84

Dopey Fear is a real thing ... between training and analyzing my numbers identifying how much 'character time' I can have during the maration, I am obsessed with Marathon Weekend and it's so far away. The way I'm looking at things ... look at each race individually and don't look at the whole thing as one piece ... it isn't as intimadating that way :)

I'm planning on doing the Dumbo Challenge in 2015 ... the course looks boring after your out of Disneyland/California Adventure. Is it better than it looks on paper/maps?

The half is pretty dull but it's nice and flat. There are a bunch of classic cars before the stadium which I enjoy. Then the crowd cheering you on in the stadium picks you up. Then it's dull again until you cross the freeway and approach DLR.

Now the 10K was a lot of fun. It goes through a lot of interesting backstage areas and there were ride vehicles to run past.

Kermit262

Original Poster
I have so much coming up between now and the NYC marathon in November I can't even think about Dopey being a reality until the NYC marathon is in the books. Once November 3rd rolls around my Dopey panic will begin.
I've always thought that running the NYC marathon would be a lot of fun. And it will certainly be a great springboard to the Dopey.

Kermit262

Original Poster
Was just getting ready to leave the house for my long run this morning when I saw your post! Thanks! That was great - just the motivation I needed. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom