The Fan's Guide to WDW -- Travel Channel

DaveDizney

Whoaboy

I can't tell you how weird this is!

One thing I didn't expect in these threads was the assumptions many make over a one hour video on expanded-basic cable. BTW, I'm David -- the guy in the video with the teens. And really, I'm saying all this with a quirky smile on my face.

First, I never laminate the schedules (where did that come from?). The schedules we make also never dictate our family, but explain a plan based on ride times, crowds, and preferred seating arrangements (yes, we NEVER make PS's in the park -- I make them the first day they're available on the phone). The schedules are modified if we see an unusually short line, or find something else to do. I'm not that -- funny how that has become a magnet.

Second, the poncho's were used for riding Kali mid-day in April. Those of you who have ridden Kali and gotten soaked know the wonderful "magic" that happens in your shorts for a few hours afterward. Also, spring rain happens. What they didn't tell you is that we buy our poncho's at Wal-Mart for $2.50 rather than take out a loan for the ones in the parks. There were many of these kind of tips we gave that would have made more sense to the hard-core, but that's not who they were marketing to. Let's be honest, we're Disney nerds here, and that's not a large market share. They cut out everything we suggested about getting to the parks early, the car rental/towncar controversy, going to certain parks on certain days, pool afternoons on crowded/hot days, etc., etc., etc. They cut these out because either Disney frowned on that being public knowledge, or they didn't fit the perceived audience.

Third, it's strange having people say I'm "over the top," a quack, and other evaluations without knowing me (even though I may be). It's like I'm eavesdropping into conversations. Please understand, I'm not whining -- if I had to put up with this and still get three nights at AKL and free airfare and tickets -- geeze, no contest.

Anyway -- thanks for letting me overhear the conversation.

DisneylandDude

That clears alot of things up...=D I thought you we're crazy with the schedules and what not.

Oh and one more thing its Boma not Boma's that bothered me through the whole show....:hammer:

Goofette

I missed this show but I hope to see it. I didn't realize there were two Entrances to Epcot..... And I would ride Kali if I had a poncho, but I hate being wet all day. Just a pet peeve of mine, I hate walking around soaked. So I would be one of the people with the poncho on LOL. I'm sure i'll pick up a few things from the show that I had never paid attention to before. I imagine it would be extremely difficult to cram all 4 parks into an hour. I would love if someone would devote a full hour to each park. That would be Great! I can see being disappointed in the show if it didn't show very much and you expected more, but it doesn't upset me if a couple wants to sleep late (or for the show purposes they show them waking late).

I love how people become so criticial of others....like the one time on here someone actually had a pet peeve of people who would scream on a Roller Coaster!!!! LMAO!

AEfx

1disneydood said:
BTW who loves to ride RnR but is too afraid of ToT? :lol: :rolleyes:

A lot of people.

I will go on any roller coaster in existance, but you won't get me to go near a Tilt-a-Whirl. The motion is just different - some people don't mind being hurled in one direction, but repeatedly bouncing up and down in a metal box like in ToT just isn't for everyone. I would ride ToT much more often if there was more to the ride - when I first rode it I was like, "That's it?" I assumed it was like Splash Mountain, a dark-ride that ended in the drop (stopping at each floor, in this case). In fact, the "ToT 2.0" random drops thing makes me want to ride even LESS...you never know when it's going to end.

As to the topic, I think it's clear that this special was in no way meant for those people who have been to Disney multiple times - Travel Channel isn't National Geographic, folks, in most cases it just produces extended infomercials like this.

AEfx

DiPSU224

DaveDizney said:

One thing I didn't expect in these threads was the assumptions many make over a one hour video on expanded-basic cable. BTW, I'm David -- the guy in the video with the teens. And really, I'm saying all this with a quirky smile on my face.

First, I never laminate the schedules (where did that come from?). The schedules we make also never dictate our family, but explain a plan based on ride times, crowds, and preferred seating arrangements (yes, we NEVER make PS's in the park -- I make them the first day they're available on the phone). The schedules are modified if we see an unusually short line, or find something else to do. I'm not that -- funny how that has become a magnet.

Second, the poncho's were used for riding Kali mid-day in April. Those of you who have ridden Kali and gotten soaked know the wonderful "magic" that happens in your shorts for a few hours afterward. Also, spring rain happens. What they didn't tell you is that we buy our poncho's at Wal-Mart for $2.50 rather than take out a loan for the ones in the parks. There were many of these kind of tips we gave that would have made more sense to the hard-core, but that's not who they were marketing to. Let's be honest, we're Disney nerds here, and that's not a large market share. They cut out everything we suggested about getting to the parks early, the car rental/towncar controversy, going to certain parks on certain days, pool afternoons on crowded/hot days, etc., etc., etc. They cut these out because either Disney frowned on that being public knowledge, or they didn't fit the perceived audience.

Third, it's strange having people say I'm "over the top," a quack, and other evaluations without knowing me (even though I may be). It's like I'm eavesdropping into conversations. Please understand, I'm not whining -- if I had to put up with this and still get three nights at AKL and free airfare and tickets -- geeze, no contest.

I have to admit while I was watching you and your family on the special I thought to myself you were out of your mind! :lol: But after reading your posts and seeing how you were not allowed to express a lot of your ideas and tips about Disney, I can see that the show probably wasn't an accurate showing of how you and your family usually experience Disney. I too make folders and schedules (but not of the rides). It helps build up all your excitement! All Disney fans should show the enthusiasm you showed. I wish my family members had the same excitement for DisneyWorld that your family has! :wave:

FutureCEO

DaveDizney said:

well, at least that clears things up and that TV shows will do just about anything. Kinda amazing (not really) that TV shows distort true personalities of people (sounded better in my head)

Miss Bell

What I think is the funniest about all this, is how quick we are to say someone is over the top about how they approach Disney at all. I know that most of my friends already think I'm over the top when it comes to WDW. I'll bet most of us here have had someone think that we are over the top--that's why we're here.

I know I'm sick of people rolling their eyes at me when I tell them where I'm vacationing--again. But I also know I'd jump at the chance to be ridiculed on national televison for a free trip. :)

I appreciate Dave for putting up with us all day--hearing how they filmed and edited the show was more interesting to me than the show itself.

imagineer99

Original Poster
Goofette said:
I didn't realize there were two Entrances to Epcot.....

HUH?

This simply amazes me. How could anyone (Disney Fanatic or Not), not realize that Epcot has two entrances? :veryconfu

It's on the park map for pete's sake. It's not like Disney tries to hide it.

bhg469

imagineer99 said:
HUH?

This simply amazes me. How could anyone (Disney Fanatic or Not), not realize that Epcot has two entrances? :veryconfu

2 entrances ??? like right side and left side :p

General Grizz

imagineer99 said:
HUH?

Now, now, there's a time for everyone. I'm sure some of the people who are unaware of the existence of the International Gateway may know a few things you don't, and vise-virtue. :D

That being said, <i>Welcome to our family time
Welcome to our brotherly time
We're happy giving and taking
To the friends we're making
There's nothing we won't do. . .</i>

strobe

magicmom said:
They were staying at a $300 a night hotel (GF) and I especially loved how they got up at 8:50. By 8:50 my entire family has eaten breakfast, gone to MK early and ridden at least 4 rides! I don't think I have ever met anyone who actually went to WDW to relax and sleep in everyday.

Heck - you just met someone! We pay the top resort rate to stay at the Beach Club, and we usually sleep in until about 9:00. We get up, walk over to the Boardwalk and have a great breakfast as Spoodles, talk about what we would like to do, and head off to the parks. If we get overheated, or burnt out, we head back to the room, kick back, and relax for an hour; then we go back out -- that's one of the best parts of staying in a resort.

Believe it or not, it makes for a much more enjoyable time -- in our opinion -- because we aren't fighting the masses first thing in the morning, and we're a lot more refreshed at the end of the day. I figure with 7 fun filled days, what's the rush? To me, I'm not as concerned about riding 'every ride possible', but rather having the most fun I can. That includes taking in the scenery, moving at a relaxed pace, and riding all of my favorite attractions.

Just my opinion though!

Nicole

DaveDizney said:

Okay, I for one will apologize for that. However, watching the show did you feel like they portrayed you in a realistic light? Please note that we are not judging you as a person, but you as a "character" on what now appears to be a fairly scripted tv show. IMHO anyone who plays at wdwmagic can be forgiven for a lot of editorially created quirks!

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
strobe said:
Believe it or not, it makes for a much more enjoyable time -- in our opinion -- because we aren't fighting the masses first thing in the morning, and we're a lot more refreshed at the end of the day. I figure with 7 fun filled days, what's the rush? To me, I'm not as concerned about riding 'every ride possible', but rather having the most fun I can. That includes taking in the scenery, moving at a relaxed pace, and riding all of my favorite attractions.

Yep, I'll second that. We used to "go commando", but not anymore. We relax now and take in the parks at a slower pace. We do tours, PS and other stuff that are outside of the "doing every ride" like most. Sure, we miss rides each year, heck, last year we stayed for 8 days and the only MK rides we got on were Philarmagic and HM.

But we did do 4 tours, ate at some great places, and had a really good time with friends and family that went with us.

And I can say without a doubt that we enjoy our Disney trips much more now than in the past when we did the commando thing tring to see everything and do every ride.

bhg469

AkiraRaptor said:
Yep, I'll second that. We used to "go commando", but not anymore. We relax now and take in the parks at a slower pace. We do tours, PS and other stuff that are outside of the "doing every ride" like most. Sure, we miss rides each year, heck, last year we stayed for 8 days and the only MK rides we got on were Philarmagic and HM.

But we did do 4 tours, ate at some great places, and had a really good time with friends and family that went with us.

And I can say without a doubt that we enjoy our Disney trips much more now than in the past when we did the commando thing tring to see everything and do every ride.

sounds like my last trip, we went on HM and philharmagic at MK that was pretty much it. the rest of the time we spent relaxing and eating at our favorite places. Too much planning can really ruin a trip, but too much fun makes the vacation go by way too quickly.

strobe

AkiraRaptor said:

Yep - my point EXACTLY! That's what we did on our Honeymoon. We rode pretty much everything, but missed a few here and there. In the end, it was my best trip ever. When we went back last year with my parents, we did it again, and we had a blast.

I see too many people at the parks who are rushed, irritable, and don't really seem to be having a great time. There is SO MUCH to experience and enjoy, I don't understand that. If you just take the time to look around and get caught up in the atmosphere, you quickly realize that just being there is worth the price of admission - even if you don't ride anything.

We go out of our way to eat at all of the excellent restaurants too, sure they're a bit more expensive, but we travelled all that way and already spent a good deal of money, so I want to enjoy a good meal and a cold beer too.

A trip to WDW is all what you make of it. Some people are gungho about rides, others are just there to relax. I'm somewhere in the middle.

Underdog

Travel Channel-Ultimate Fan's Guide

Can someone PLEASE tell me what restaurant the Levy's (the black couple) ate at outside of Epcot? It was a steakhouse but I couldn't understand what the first thing was she said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom