The epic Marvel debate massive

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
The Marvel-Universal deal was made in the mid-90s. It was a good deal for both sides at the time. Disney acquired Marvel knowing full well that they would have to honor such arrangements.

Disney paid a premium to obtain the distribution rights for the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. They are not even trying to make a deal to Universal about the Marvel rights for Florida. Those facts alone should tell you that Disney finds the current arrangement acceptable despite your objections.
I don't argue any of what you just said. Refer back to my Eisner-Pixar analogy.

WDWGoof07

They're building a new hotel PLUS investing $1.5 billion in attractions for USO alone. They also bought out the 50% of USO they did not previously own. They're on a serious war path.
If Disney is worried about losing market share, Marvel is not the only answer. And there is no guarantee that Disney would do Marvel better than Universal has already done it as far as Florida is concerned.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
The Marvel-Universal deal was made in the mid-90s. It was a good deal for both sides at the time. Disney acquired Marvel knowing full well that they would have to honor such arrangements.

Disney paid a premium to obtain the distribution rights for the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. They are not even trying to make a deal to Universal about the Marvel rights for Florida. Those facts alone should tell you that Disney finds the current arrangement acceptable despite your objections.
It is because they paid a premium for Marvel that working something out with Comcast is the right thing to do. Just like how Comcast paid a premium for Uni and then bought out the other 50% of USO.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
If Disney is worried about losing market share, Marvel is not the only answer. And there is no guarantee that Disney would do Marvel better than Universal has already done it as far as Florida is concerned.
Current management doesn't have a clue. I'm hoping Kathleen Kennedy is elected and takes care of this.

It's not just Marvel. It's all these lingering ends put together. Disney not responding to Comcast's $1.5 billion Uni commitment is a big part of it.

WDWGoof07

It is because they paid a premium for Marvel that working something out with Comcast is the right thing to do. Just like how Comcast paid a premium for Uni and then bought out the other 50% of USO.
It doesn't matter how much Disney paid for Marvel. It is not the right thing to do. I have already explained why; I won't waste time typing it again.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, they paid a lot of Marvel and are easily getting a return on that that investment without using Marvel in any theme parks at the moment. ROI from a theme park attraction takes a long time, ROI on a movie is much faster. If they had to pay $1 billion to get the rights back from Uni, how long would it take to pay back that investment?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
What if Disney names a cruise ship the Disney Marvel and themes it with Marvel super heroes? What? As long as it docks only on the west coast, it's okay?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What if Disney names a cruise ship the Disney Marvel and themes it with Marvel super heroes? What? As long as it docks only on the west coast, it's okay?

Probably yes. I don't think that would be a violation of the agreement. They could also probably dock in on the east coast since it's not technically a theme park.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Yes, they paid a lot of Marvel and are easily getting a return on that that investment without using Marvel in any theme parks at the moment. ROI from a theme park attraction takes a long time, ROI on a movie is much faster. If they had to pay $1 billion to get the rights back from Uni, how long would it take to pay back that investment?
WDW is the company's flagship property. Flagships bring in a faster ROI. Stockholders want maximum ROI. Exploitation of IP at all properties bring in maximum ROI.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Probably yes. I don't think that would be a violation of the agreement. They could also probably dock in on the east coast since it's not technically a theme park.
See how ridiculous this could get. Comcast could claim that HKDL is east of Mississippi. Then what?

WDWGoof07

I can't see why few people here see how illogical this current arrangement is. It's like getting a divorce and letting the ex keep the keys to the house.

You can argue that the ex made a prenuptial agreement to keep the keys in case there's ever a divorce. That doesn't make the situation acceptable, only legal.

Now, the ex would like to have the kids 5 days a week instead of 2. Negotiate that the ex could have the kids for 3-5 days in exchange for the keys of the house and invalidation of the prenuptial agreement...
Your divorce analogy makes no sense. There is nothing that Comcast wants so badly from Disney that they would agree to end the current arrangement.

You ascribe Disney's lack of desire to negotiate for the Florida Marvel rights to the failures of current management. What makes you think that Kathleen Kennedy or whoever is in charge next would think that it is a good idea to pay an exorbitant amount for those rights? I hate to break it you, but the next person in charge of Disney is probably not going to try to get the Florida Marvel rights either for the same reasons I've explained (over and over again).

Californian Elitist

See how ridiculous this could get. Comcast could claim that HKDL is east of Mississippi. Then what?

What would that matter?

Disney doesn't care that they're restricted with their use of Marvel on the east. Like @danlb_2000 said, they're making plenty of money off of Marvel without it even having a presence in the parks. Why go through a hassle just so Marvel can be used in Florida? It's a waste of time and money.

WDWGoof07

Now you're being ridiculous. The contract defines a specific geographic region over which Universal has exclusive Marvel theme park rights. It is not arbitrary.

It's clear that you are not interested in dealing with facts - only half-baked analogies, wishful thinking, and conspiracy theories. So this is where I shall stop for tonight.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Now you're being ridiculous. The contract defines a specific geographic region over which Universal has exclusive Marvel theme park rights. It is not arbitrary.

It's clear that you are not interested in dealing with facts - only half-baked analogies, wishful thinking, and conspiracy theories. So this is where I shall stop for tonight.

If you have a headache from all of this, we collectively sympathize....

PeterAlt

Original Poster

I am interested in dealing with facts. Support what you just said. I read the contract and it says east of Mississippi and does not define what that means. If I'm in error, show me and I will actually say I'm wrong in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom