The epic Marvel debate massive

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
How many think they can get wives and girlfriends to dress up like Marvel heroines at Uni or WDW?

MF1.jpg

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Goodness, what happened here? This thread was so much fun! Now it's chagrin central!

tumblr_m951lwUTxX1rqlrwto1_500.gif
I know. Since my 10 years here, I had debates, like the Eisner one, but nothing like what has gone on recently, where people outright make things up and claim I said it, or use literal logic, or try to use defamatory language, etc. It's like they're angry at the World and some how I represent that World so they take it out on me. I hope whatever makes people angry changes because the World is such a better place when people aren't so upset!

Magenta Panther

See, I just look at those ridiculous musclebound things wearing Halloween costumes, and imagine them infesting Disneyland or WDW, and I want to hurl. If Iger wants to keep making movies with Marvel characters and collecting the box office take, fine. Just keep the dopey things out of the parks!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I know. Since my 10 years here, I had debates, like the Eisner one, but nothing like what has gone on recently, where people outright make things up and claim I said it, or use literal logic, or try to use defamatory language, etc. It's like they're angry at the World and some how I represent that World so they take it out on me. I hope whatever makes people angry changes because the World is such a better place when people aren't so upset!
Could you give an example, and link to it,of defamatory language?

WDWGoof07

Brian Roberts has a personal vendetta against Disney because they did not accept his takeover bid.
As a little thought exercise, just for the moment let's take this statement to be true. If Comcast does have some kind of vendetta against Disney, that doesn't seem compatible with your opinionated prediction about Comcast and Disney making a deal whereby Disney would get the Marvel rights for Florida. Why would Comcast agree to let Disney have the Marvel theme park rights for the eastern U.S. if it could potentially attract customers away from Universal? Since Universal/Comcast holds the rights in perpetuity, Comcast would never even consider an agreement that would allow Disney to benefit from these very popular characters.
My predication on Marvel is within seven years, Disney and Comcast will reach an agreement on this.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
As a little thought exercise, just for the moment let's take this statement to be true. If Comcast does have some kind of vendetta against Disney, that doesn't seem compatible with your opinionated prediction about Comcast and Disney making a deal whereby Disney would get the Marvel rights for Florida. Why would Comcast agree to let Disney have the Marvel theme park rights for the eastern U.S. if it could potentially attract customers away from Universal? Since Universal/Comcast holds the rights in perpetuity, Comcast would never even consider an agreement that would allow Disney to benefit from these very popular characters.
I don't know. I'm not Kathleen Kennedy.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
That's like asking during Eisner's final years "Why would Steve Jobs give in to Disney's terms and accept a new Pixar deal?"

See my answer in my previous message to connect the dots...

PeterAlt

Original Poster
In other words, your opinionated prediction is just wishful thinking. The two situations are not similar.
No, or maybe. Logic tells me they'll find a way to do this. I won't even venture a guess as to the details of what they'll figure out would be of benefit to both interests.

Comcast could play its hand so forcefully that Disney decides they have no other option. That's assuming Disney has a management team that actually cares about its State Side parks east of the Mississippi.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I can't see why few people here see how illogical this current arrangement is. It's like getting a divorce and letting the ex keep the keys to the house.

You can argue that the ex made a prenuptial agreement to keep the keys in case there's ever a divorce. That doesn't make the situation acceptable, only legal.

Now, the ex would like to have the kids 5 days a week instead of 2. Negotiate that the ex could have the kids for 3-5 days in exchange for the keys of the house and invalidation of the prenuptial agreement...

WDWGoof07

No, or maybe. Logic tells me they'll find a way to do this. I won't even venture a guess as to the details of what they'll figure out would be of benefit to both interests.

Comcast could play its hand so forcefully that Disney decides they have no other option. That's assuming Disney has a management team that actually cares about its State Side parks east of the Mississippi.
:confused: Wow, I just...I can't even...oh man....

Comcast doesn't have to play their hand for anything. As it stands right now, they have the Marvel rights for as long as they want, and during that time Marvel will continue collecting its yearly dues.

There is nothing Comcast/Universal could do right now that would force Disney to break the bank just to procure the rights to use a few characters at one resort. Disney is free to use Marvel at other resorts, and there is a wealth of untapped IP that is available for Disney to use in WDW should they feel the need to increase investment in attractions based on popular movie franchises in Florida.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I can't see why few people here see how illogical this current arrangement is. It's like getting a divorce and letting the ex keep the keys to the house.

You can argue that the ex made a prenatal agreement to keep the keys in case there's ever a divorce. That doesn't make the situation acceptable, only legal.

Do you think Disney should be working to get the rights to use Star Wars away from LEGOLAND?

PeterAlt

Original Poster
:confused: Wow, I just...I can't even...oh man....

Comcast doesn't have to play their hand for anything. As it stands right now, they have the Marvel rights for as long as they want, and during that time Marvel will continue collecting its yearly dues.

There is nothing Comcast/Universal could do right now that would force Disney to break the bank just to procure the rights to use a few characters at one resort. Disney is free to use Marvel at other resorts, and there is a wealth of untapped IP that is available for Disney to use in WDW should they feel the need to increase investment in attractions based on popular movie franchises in Florida.
They're building a new hotel PLUS investing $1.5 billion in attractions for USO alone. They also bought out the 50% of USO they did not previously own. They're on a serious war path.

WDWGoof07

You can argue that the ex made a prenatal agreement to keep the keys in case there's ever a divorce. That doesn't make the situation acceptable, only legal.
The Marvel-Universal deal was made in the mid-90s. It was a good deal for both sides at the time. Disney acquired Marvel knowing full well that they would have to honor such arrangements.

Disney paid a premium to obtain the distribution rights for the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. They are not even trying to make a deal to Universal about the Marvel rights for Florida. Those facts alone should tell you that Disney finds the current arrangement acceptable despite your objections.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Do you think Disney should be working to get the rights to use Star Wars away from LEGOLAND?
I was going to make a major post about it but after researching it thoroughly, I decided it wasn't worth making a stink about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom