Trip Report The Empty Nest, Flower and Garden, Club Villain, Too much Food Report! 5/9-5/15 *complete*

Well, we are just back from our first ever childless Disney World trip! I went into this trip with mixed emotions. Still excited but also a bit sad. Our children are 21 and 18 and have their own things going on that kept them from being able to go. So for the first time since we had kids, the hubby and I went on a vacation just the two of us.

I want to start this report with a photo of our original cast on our last trip together. We have been going since my son was 3. Disney holds so many precious memories of my babies growing up. I honestly did not know how I could still have fun without them but we did. I missed them but was able to relive so many things that made my heart smile so much. They were not there with us physically but were 100 percent in our hearts the whole time!
image.jpeg

And here we are on our Empty Nest trip-
image.jpeg

On to the trip!

Dates 5/9-5/15

Coronado Springs

(As a warning, this report is going to be photo heavy! I took photos of everything! Especially the food and drinks)

We left about 10:00 pm on the 8th after spending some Mother's Day time with my babies. I am a terrible rider, literally hate being in a car so it is easier for DH if I am asleep. We always do the morning show too on day one, but traffic kept us from being able to do that this year. :( Our room was ready at 7:30 though which was great because I wanted to freshen up anyway. We went straight to our rooms which were in Ranchos this time. I love Cabanas so I was disappointed at first but ended up being okay. I have never understood people complaining about the walk at Coronado but then again, I love to walk around the resort. Still prefer Cabanas but it was still nice.

Arrival shot
image.jpeg

Ranchos
image.jpeg

Room
image.jpeg

My family has serious Disney traditions, that we follow every trip. MK always first, Splash is first ride and lunch is always Pecos Bill's. Without both kids, I just felt like maybe it was time to do something different and save those special firsts for when we go back together. So, off to Hollywood Studios we went where our first ride was ToT! We then hit RnRC with fastpasses and then headed back to see the closed areas.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As excited as I am for what is to come, it was an end of an era for me. I loved the Streets and Pizza Planet was our thing. The kids always loved it. The food was bad, I know but it was Pizza Planet!! I cried, I could not help it. The rocket came down the next day so glad I got that photo.

After we checked out all of that we were starving and went to eat at Rosie's, but our pin for dining and magicband did not work!! Guess what? Cannot be fixed with the ap, by phone or in the park, so we had to leave and go back to Coronado. That was a pain so we just decided to eat there.
Think I am close to my photo limit so will continue with next post.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Following along! I love the topiraries. $499 is a bit pricey but I'm curious to how much the little Mickey icon was. I bet I could make that!
I believe they were 54.99 each. We are gonna play around and try to make one for my porch garden.

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Early dinner at Mama Melrose for Fantasmic! I have to say that after eating here 4 times, that this trip everything we had was delicious. In all the prior trips I would have just said it was okay, but I always ordered the steak, which is probably a mistake after usually already had the Filet at Le Cellier and Le Chefs de France before there. (I did not have a single steak this trip) Anyway, I would rate this meal the best of this trip and very high on the many meals we have had at Disney overall. There are not many places we have not tried yet at this point. Don't know if they kicked it up a notch or if we just ordered better this time but YUM!!

I had an Italian Surfer (I think that was the name)

DH, tends to stick with beer. Bud Light I am assuming.

He got the Tuna as an appetizer

And I went with the Fresh Mozzarella and Vine Ripe tomatoes with Basil. Being from the south and a country girl who grows a huge garden every year, I was skeptical of what the flavor of the tomatoes would be. They were actually pretty darn good. Not home grown good but had a nice flavor.

I ordered the Pork Tenderloin for the main dish and wow... out of this world! The potatoes had collard greens and bacon! AMAZING.

DH had the Pasta with Shrimp. He loved it.

And last but not least... dessert. My fave was the spongecake. Very light.

We rode Star Tours after we ate and RnRC, ToT and by then the park was really crowded. They started seating for Fantasmic really early maybe to ease the crowds a bit? It was that congested! We did not go in til 8:20 or so though and still with the reserved section got 2nd row behind the handicapped seating. Great seats. Pics coming up!

Following along and enjoying the report so far! My husband and I are in the same boat. Have taken the kids for years and have thoroughly enjoyed the magic with them. We also started taking alone trips about 5 years ago - mainly for the food and wine fest. The trips with and without kids are different and each are so enjoyable for different reasons!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Following along and enjoying the report so far! My husband and I are in the same boat. Have taken the kids for years and have thoroughly enjoyed the magic with them. We also started taking alone trips about 5 years ago - mainly for the food and wine fest. The trips with and without kids are different and each are so enjoyable for different reasons!
Glad you are enjoying report! It was definitely different for us, but we did do things, like enjoy more drinks, and be more laid back. I wouldn't take a kazillion dollars for any of my trips with my kiddos, but it was fun for mom and dad to chill just the two of us too! :)

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
I am not the best photo taker at all, sometimes I get lucky, but in the case of night time shows, I do not even try that much, I would rather watch. Got a new camera, that has no eye viewfinder thingie, just the screen, so to me it is just the same as an iPhone. Anyway, here are the few I took that turned out. (Can we load videos on here without youtube??? I did get some amazing videos) This show, though, please never take it away! I love it so much. Cry from beginning to end, every time.

Saving room for phone photos then moving on to AK and Cape May Café.

Raven66

Enjoying the trip report! My husband and I took our empty nest trip last November. It was bittersweet for sure. We missed having our daughter with us, but we had a really good time just the two of us. We are going again in Oct. Guess who's coming this time?? She said she isn't missing another trip. haha

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Enjoying the trip report! My husband and I took our empty nest trip last November. It was bittersweet for sure. We missed having our daughter with us, but we had a really good time just the two of us. We are going again in Oct. Guess who's coming this time?? She said she isn't missing another trip. haha
Hoping when we go for MNSSHP, the kids can join us if even for a day or two. It was our thing.Your daughter sounds like my son, he has a new baby, but he swears somehow he will be there. Momma sure hopes so. :) Hopefully will be back to the report tomorrow, we have all got a spring cold! :-/

MinnieM123

Premium Member
FotLK... best show ever. I love it! I may be biased, since my son loved it so much as a baby... but I don't think so. It is that amazing to me, can miss lots of things, this is not one of them.

I was down at WDW last week, and I saw the show (hadn't seen it for a few years). I was so glad I went, because it is AMAZING!!! I love the costumes, sets, lighting and music. It's so upbeat and makes me happy. I'd say it's a "must do" from now on!!! :cat:

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
Nicely done!!

Great report, enjoying the photos. I love that trout dish from Coral Reef. The front table is amazing, isn't it? We've lucked out a couple times and gotten one.
Thank you! I got 3 pallet gardens planted before getting sick. The front seats are breathtaking!

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
We got up early and headed to AK to be there for opening. The birds flying over is cool but I miss the old character opening. Doe anyone know if they still have the characters come out on a truck right before park closing? We were held back once and told t get ready for a big surprise and here was Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto on a truck, we followed them all the way out for the Goodbye show. So awesome! I miss stuff like that.
Anywho, headed hard to Asia and rode EE 6 times straight walk on. We then went to Dinosaur, shopped a little, ate a very early lunch at Flame Tree because we were starving!

I got our usual good pic of the oh, so scared face on Dinosaur but until I blur the little 13-ish year old that decided to flip the camera off, I cannot. Our photo, was of course, because he did that, deleted, but I did do a screenshoot. (little Heathen..lol)

DisneyGigi

Original Poster
We went back to MK, to take in Pirates, BTMRR, and Philharmagic. Shortest time we ever spent at MK, but the crowds, as far as walking were awful. Maybe we are changing but I don't think so. MK over the past few years, and I think Magicbands and FP+ contribute, to people standing, stopping, in the middle of a walkway, angrily, looking at a phone. To me, the effects of modern technology just really shout out at this park. PS, it is okay, if you actually talk to the people that you paid all this money for a vacation with, whilst, waiting to ride a ride or see a show. Jus saying! :)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom