the elevator opened and there stood Joe Rhode!!

mbroschak

Original Poster
My wife and I were at the world for two weeks in Novemeber and spent our first several days staying at AKL. One night, about 10:30, maybe a bit later, we had walked from our room on the 5th floor to take the elevator down. I was standing in front of the doors and when they opened, Joe Rhode was standing all of 2 feet in front of me and before I had the chance to realize that I should say something to him he had already walked around the corner. So other than a smile, I didn't take that opportunity to meet him and thank him for everything he's given to the company.
It did bring up an interesting question. Why was Joe on the 5th floor of AKL at 10:30 on a tuesday night? My theory is that either he set up some friends with a room there and was visiting or maybe if he's working a long day at AK, perhaps they just give him a room for the night in the hotel to crash instead of driving home. Any thoughts on this? Anyhow, it was the last place I expected to see him, especially because we were not on the concierge level.

CoffeeJedi

I don't think there's really any seperation between "work", "play", and "daily life" for Mr. Rhode; its all a continuum for him. He very well might have a permanent room at AKL that's always kept for him. Or, he may have needed to see something specific on the 5th floor; ie. checking sight-lines for the savannah. I'm sure that he works very odd hours.

Who wouldn't love a life like that?

juan

I saw Joe Rhode at the opening of nemo the musical and then talked briefly with him at everest

niteobsrvr

It did bring up an interesting question. Why was Joe on the 5th floor of AKL at 10:30 on a tuesday night? My theory is that either he set up some friends with a room there and was visiting or maybe if he's working a long day at AK, perhaps they just give him a room for the night in the hotel to crash instead of driving home. Any thoughts on this? Anyhow, it was the last place I expected to see him, especially because we were not on the concierge level.

I just checked the property records in all of the central Florida counties and came up with no records for Mr. Rhode. It could be that he doesn't live in the area. Of course, it could also be that his spouse has the house in their name. He could also rent or lease.

Just a thought.

juan

he could live in California

some of the Imagineers I know live in CA, but have worked on florida projects

prberk

looks like you met Al Weiss though

Yeah, isn't that Al Weiss in your avatar? Was that pic from a different visit?

And, BTW, who exactly is Joe Rhode? Obviously an imagineer, but I have never heard anything about him. What does he do?

Paul

CaptainMichael

Yeah, isn't that Al Weiss in your avatar? Was that pic from a different visit?

And, BTW, who exactly is Joe Rhode? Obviously an imagineer, but I have never heard anything about him. What does he do?

Paul

He is the Imagineer in charge of Animal Kingdom. Where were you when all the Expedition Everest stuff happened? He was on all the Discovery Channel shows. Prior to Animal Kingdom, he worked on World Showcase in Epcot.

AlishaMisha

Joe Rhode DOES live in Cali. He comes to FL for 6 months-1year at a time.

You know, I bet you anything he was there having to do w/ the DVC. I mean think about it... DVC is taking over the 5th floor and then building a new DVC section so he was probably physically looking at the rooms to help him design the new condos. Especially since AK is his deal. Since AK and AKL is a "package" together it would make sense that he would be in on it to help the park and resort compliment eachother.

Im jellous of all of you who have got to see him. I wouldn't be able to control myself...I would have ran after him and got a pic and an autograph. I personally look up to him more than a certain someone who created disney :lookaroun *cough*Don't hurt me*cough*

To extend this forum a lil more...If you have seen Mr. Rhode(in person of course), Where was he, what year and what time of year? I figure if we get enough answers then it may help some of us ,who havn't had the honor, increasing our odds.

:king: ~Leash

mufasa0505

You know, I bet you anything he was there having to do w/ the DVC. I mean think about it... DVC is taking over the 5th floor and then building a new DVC section so he was probably physically looking at the rooms to help him design the new condos. Especially since AK is his deal. Since AK and AKL is a "package" together it would make sense that he would be in on it to help the park and resort compliment eachother.

That's what I thought. Maybe he'll design a walkway or some other direct transportation (not bus) from the park to the lodge. That would be nice.

Welsh Tink

Thought you all may be interested to know that last Sunday, a UK paper ran an article called ' A Life in the Day' all about Joe Rhode. It detailed what he does in a normal day.
The article was really interesting, and if anyone wants to read it, you can access it online at www.timesonline.co.uk. Tap in Joe Rhode into the search engine on the top left, and you should find his name on the second page, about two thirds down.Click on his name and it should take you in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom