the elevator opened and there stood Joe Rhode!!

dreamscometrue

On Thursday, Jan. 5th, 2006, we were winding down our WDW vacation and were staring at the soon to be opened Expedition Everest in AK as the park was closing. When we turned to leave, we recognized Joe Rohde walking towards us with a Discovery Channel crew. He stopped for a few minutes while they filmed him and he discussed Everest, then the entire group moved to go into the attraction. We asked the CM with Joe if we could get a quick photo and the CM was kind enough to go check. Although Mr. Rohde was with the television people, he came right over, chatted for a minute about where we were from in Canada and posed for a couple of photos. My daughter asked if he would mind signing her autograph book and not only did he pleasantly oblidge, but he drew a caricature of himself. We told him how much we enjoy AK, and he seemed genuinely pleased. He could have easily brushed us off because he was obviously busy, but he took 5 min. to stop. It was a highlight of our trip.

DigitalDisney

Joe Rhode also has a role as Mr. Hightower in TDS's TOT attraction.

I've personally seen him a couple times in AK back when the park first opened, and it was a thrill.

He's truly a man of passion, and obviously enjoys what he does. Thankfully, he's created or been involved in some of the most unique, highest-quality experiences WDW has to offer through AK. It's a shame that some of his other dreams for AK never materialized.

Rob562

Didn't he approve dinorama?

He did, but I'm sure he was given a mandate of what type of area to design... Also, I read a quote once about Dinorama that I want to say was attributed to Joe that "it could all be removed in a week". :D

-Rob

FaerieLuna

Are you serious?

I have never really cared for the guy (the earing I guess:eek: ), but it's nice to know that he's a really nice guy.

Are you serious????? I personally find him to be one of the most interesting and creative people I've ever encountered working for Disney. Just seeing the shows produced about Everest made me wish I could have dinner with him to discuss his travels and experiences. I can't imagine not caring for someone who is brilliant (IMHO) just because of a physical adornment you don't like???? You are certainly entitled to your own opinion about the man, but I sure am glad you don't work in human resources for Disney Imagineering.

bhg469

Are you serious????? I personally find him to be one of the most interesting and creative people I've ever encountered working for Disney. Just seeing the shows produced about Everest made me wish I could have dinner with him to discuss his travels and experiences. I can't imagine not caring for someone who is brilliant (IMHO) just because of a physical adornment you don't like???? You are certainly entitled to your own opinion about the man, but I sure am glad you don't work in human resources for Disney Imagineering.

I agree with NC state not for his appearence though.. I admire the man's passion for what he does, but I will always put the imagineers that laid the groundwork for wdw on a higher level. AK is the most beautiful park by far but before everest it had a few flaws. I mentioned Dinorama earlier.... I also felt kali was half a ride that had a ton of potential and im sure most of you agree. And let the unsubstantiated flaming for my opinion begin...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree with NC state. I admire the man's passion for what he does, but I will always put the imagineers that laid the groundwork for wdw on a higher level. AK is the most beautiful park by far but before everest it had a few flaws. I mentioned Dinorama earlier.... I also felt kali was half a ride that had a ton of potential and im sure most of you agree. And let the unsubstantiated flaming for my opinion begin...
In Rhode's defence the Kali we got is a mere fragment of the attraction he originally envisioned. You can blame the bean counters for the Kali light attraction that got built.

bhg469

In Rhode's defence the Kali we got is a mere fragment of the attraction he originally envisioned. You can blame the bean counters for the Kali light attraction that got built.

True, I'm sure everest was meant to be better too. I just don't think hes the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom