The Educational Epcot

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
Many here on the boards seem to feel that Epcot has lost its educational tact. Perhaps. I think that it can be as educational as ever if you take the time to really look around the exhibits. The Seas is still very educationally minded. Test Track has great post-show exhibits that most people breeze by and never take the time to look into. Ellen is definately ed, and so is WoL when it is open. A ride like Cranium Command is a fun way to get kids into a show and still be teaching them about parts and interactions of the human body. I think the edu theme is still strong. What do you think?

slappy magoo

I think many people bemoan the fact that now you have to, as you put it, "really look for" educational content.

Once upon a time, Imagineers tried to find ways to incorporate "good-to-know" nuggets of info throughout an attraction. Now, it seems as if WDW approaches educational content as a necessary evil to be thrust upon people during the queue (where they have no choice but to see it, if the attraction is popular) or near the exit. Worse, the content near the exit seems more and more to be given short shrift, as if WDW knows most people will breeze past the kiosks and post-attraction content for the next e-ticket. Of course, there's a lot of evidence that proves most people indeed do this, but for those who don't mind learning something new about an interesting topic, we seem to be getting tossed aside in favor of the "you're on vacation, leave your brain at the door" mentality.

Victor

Many here on the boards seem to feel that Epcot has lost its educational tact. Perhaps. I think that it can be as educational as ever if you take the time to really look around the exhibits. The Seas is still very educationally minded. Test Track has great post-show exhibits that most people breeze by and never take the time to look into. Ellen is definately ed, and so is WoL when it is open. A ride like Cranium Command is a fun way to get kids into a show and still be teaching them about parts and interactions of the human body. I think the edu theme is still strong. What do you think?

Oh yeah, I definitely think Epcot still has a lot to offer in terms of education. My problem is that the way they try to educate now, isn't as rewarding as it used to be. Regardless, Epcot is still my favorite park.

natalia1681

I think that Spaceship Earth and even Test Track are educational. You get to see bits of history in *action* on SSE and on Test Track you get to see *testing* you normally wouldn't even think about.

DigitalDisney

Epcot is still educational, but in a different way

There are still a couple things that directly educate you (SSE, UoE, Circle of Life, etc), but there are even more things that inspire you.

I'd hope that after going on Mission Space, a kid would want to learn about space flight or Mars. Maybe after a trip on Soarin, someone would want to take a better look at California's landscape. Maybe after visiting The Seas, somebody would want to take a better look at the undersea world.

With the exception of the Imagination pavilion, everything in Epcot is about reality. Just about everything in the park is based on something that has happened, is happening, or will happen. There are no haunted hotels or visits from aliens here.

The same can be said about Animal Kingdom.

Victor

With the exception of the Imagination pavilion, everything in Epcot is about reality. Just about everything in the park is based on something that has happened, is happening, or will happen. There are no haunted hotels or visits from aliens here.

Except those talking fish of course. :D

DisneyMusician2

Original Poster
I don't know....I was always happy with the educational content. I am actually much more upset by the dated films and rides in the World Showcase than anything I've seen in Future World.

Victor

I don't know....I was always happy with the educational content. I am actually much more upset by the dated films and rides in the World Showcase than anything I've seen in Future World.

Agreed. World Showcase has needed some lovin' for far much longer than Future World.

ZapperZ

You missed all the stuff in Innoventions West. So yes, I agree with you that there are still fun but educational stuff to be found at Epcot.

Zz.

wickedwitchware

just got my pal mickey today..at the park he is $65 plus tax i got mine for $33. plus shipping from a character warehouse the number is 9548467161. :D $65 seems a bit steep but $33 is just right!!!

cloudboy

Doesn't even have any non-educational substance!

It's a pleasant ride, kind of neat the first few times, but as far as the story or dialogue goes, it's about as deep as the rock fountain outside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom