The Downtown Disney Thread

Hatbox Ghostbuster

[B]Salt & Straw[/B]‏ @saltandstraw
More
We are so excited to announce our scoop shop at #DowntownDisney is opening this Friday, October 12! Learn more: https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/10/salt-straw-will-open-friday-oct-12-in-downtown-disney/ … @DisneylandToday @Disneyland
giphy.gif

TP2000

And shortly after opening late this morning, a long line formed by Noon. Just wait until tonight when hordes of AP's show up after work for their Friday night promenade! :eek:

Salt-and-Straw-Ice-Cream-Downtown-Disney-District-October-2018-32-700x525.jpg

Disneylover152

Salt & Straw has opened today, bringing a bit of hipster Portland down to Disneyland. In my opinion, this is a nice change from the string of bland corporate chains that have inhabited Downtown Disney for far too long.

sjdgfhdfgdfgjkdfdfj5345-624x351.jpg

Salt-Straw-Downtown-Disney-10-2018-01-700x467.jpg

xkjncbvkjdfnkdjgfhdsj535-613x409.jpg

I agree. I love the new style of Downtown Disney with less major companies like Build a Bear, AMC and Rainforest Cafe with more smaller businesses like Salt & Straw.

Miceberg

Anyone interested (this is for wdwmagic readers. Bloggers, vloggers and mice chat - Do not steal my words) in the backstory, here it is:
The GCH used to run a tour bus industry that thrived in the early 1900s. As people began to own their own vehicles, the buses waned in popularity and the area that used to house the bus depot fell into disrepair. Several decades later Disney's animators were looking for a new studio and found the old bus depot underneath the Grand. They decided to repurpose the bus depot as an animator Studio and from the studio they created several classics. In the early nineties animators left the studio in order to move to Burbank so this space set empty until 2001 when the Walt Disney Company decided to repurpose it as the world of Disney. When our refurbishment began earlier this year, we discovered brick and animators artwork behind all of the drywall that went up in the original construction of World of Disney. Elements from the old animator Studio have now been brought to light with the new refurbishment of the store.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Anyone interested (this is for wdwmagic readers. Bloggers, vloggers and mice chat - Do not steal my words) in the backstory, here it is:
The GCH used to run a tour bus industry that thrived in the early 1900s. As people began to own their own vehicles, the buses waned in popularity and the area that used to house the bus depot fell into disrepair. Several decades later Disney's animators were looking for a new studio and found the old bus depot underneath the Grand. They decided to repurpose the bus depot as an animator Studio and from the studio they created several classics. In the early nineties animators left the studio in order to move to Burbank so this space set empty until 2001 when the Walt Disney Company decided to repurpose it as the world of Disney. When our refurbishment began earlier this year, we discovered brick and animators artwork behind all of the drywall that went up in the original construction of World of Disney. Elements from the old animator Studio have now been brought to light with the new refurbishment of the store.
I do love a backstory that acts as if real company history is fictional. I'm surprised in this backstory Walt doesn't plagiarize anything.

Stevek

Salt & Straw has opened today, bringing a bit of hipster Portland down to Disneyland. In my opinion, this is a nice change from the string of bland corporate chains that have inhabited Downtown Disney for far too long.

sjdgfhdfgdfgjkdfdfj5345-624x351.jpg

Salt-Straw-Downtown-Disney-10-2018-01-700x467.jpg

xkjncbvkjdfnkdjgfhdsj535-613x409.jpg
They did a great job with it but I will personally have a tough time paying $6 for a single scoop of ice cream. Maybe once but clearly not a regular thing for us.

Darkbeer1

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/...ts-to-reopen-at-downtown-disney-company-says/

>>
The parent company of the Rainforest Cafe that closed in June at Downtown Disney in Anaheim wants to reopen the jungle-themed restaurant at the Disneyland shopping district, officials said.

“Disney knows of our interest in reopening Rainforest Cafe in Anaheim,” said Keith Beitler, Landry’s senior vice president and chief operating officer of specialty restaurant and amusement divisions, in a prepared statement sent via email. “We are hopeful they will consider Landry’s for any future site plans.”

Disney officials said they are looking at a variety of options for Downtown Disney and can’t comment on discussions with tenants. Last week Disney officials said no conversations were taking place with the Rainforest Cafe about returning to Downtown Disney.

Landry’s operates more than 60 restaurant concepts, including the T-Rex Cafe at the Disney Springs shopping district and the Yak & Yeti quick-service eatery at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at the Walt Disney World resort in Florida.

The Rainforest Cafe, AMC Theatres, ESPN Zone, Earl of Sandwich and one of two Starbucks locations at Downtown Disney closed to make room for a 700-room Disney hotel that has since been canceled.

ESPN Zone, which closed at Downtown Disney in June, is jointly-owned by Disney’s ABC Television and the Hearst Corporation. Disney officials said last week that there are no conversations taking place about the ESPN Zone about returning to Downtown Disney.

AMC Theatres announced plans in March to relocate from Downtown Disney to the Anaheim GardenWalk shopping center located across Harbor Boulevard from Disneyland.

A GardenWalk representative said a published report stating that the AMC theater project had been canceled was “erroneous.” The grand opening of the new AMC location is scheduled for early 2019, the GardenWalk representative said. AMC did not respond to a request for comment.

Starbucks, which had two locations at Downtown Disney, has no plans to reopen the coffee shop it closed at the west end of the shopping district, company officials said.<<

Darkbeer1

So they want to put back a theater in Garden Walk that failed the first time around? How is the House of Blues doing in the concrete canyon?

House of Blues is doiung very well, as at a special event at AGW on Sunday.

They are having much better attendance for its concerts than DtD.

And paying a lot less rent helps the bottom line.

And the AMC signs are up, ironically next door to the House of Blues.

The JW Marriott is now taller than the rest of the Mall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom