The Downtown Disney Thread

truecoat

I'm questioning the steakhouse thing. Anaheim already has the top 3 chain steakhouses in the country, all within about 5 blocks of each other clustered around the Convention Center trade; Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Fleming's.

Is the Downtown Disney steakhouse going to be real and high quality, or an overpriced version of Outback?

Full Disclosure: I do enjoy Outback Steakhouse when I'm on a road trip. And the Bloomin' Onion is mandatory.

It'll be onsite and that matters to enough people.

Consumer

What Downtown Disney needs, more than anything, is a canal. There needs to be a flowing source of water running throughout Downtown Disney, preferably with some sort of gondola along it. Early drafts for Downtown Disney even featured an entire lagoon.
1713015881203.png

I do think something along the lines of the San Antonio River Walk would be perfect for Downtown Disney. It has that ideal quaint, intimate, and calm energy that Downtown Disney needs. The River Walk is constantly busy with plenty of foot traffic. Adding a river to Downtown Disney would change the shopping district from a pathway to Disneyland into a destination for tourists and locals alike.
1713015975335.png

Even if we can't have a river, some sort of large fountain, similar to the Americana, would greatly improve Downtown Disney. Anything to make Downtown Disney an actually pleasant place to sit, eat, and just hang out with people. The way it currently is, has been, and appears to still be, it's just a shopping mall with nothing unique or particularly "Disney."

Nirya

Even if we can't have a river, some sort of large fountain, similar to the Americana, would greatly improve Downtown Disney. Anything to make Downtown Disney an actually pleasant place to sit, eat, and just hang out with people. The way it currently is, has been, and appears to still be, it's just a shopping mall with nothing unique or particularly "Disney."
I do agree on a need for some water features, though I wouldn't say a canal per se. The area in front of Splitzville seems perfect for a medium to large fountain of some kind, and I am honestly still annoyed that they have not bitten the bullet and changed the Esplande to put some kind of fountain in the center instead of that mosaic that they keep having to chain off because guests are theoretically slipping on it.

TP2000

"Amazing."

I don't think I'll ever get over the grammatically stunted and intellectually narrow overuse of the word "amazing". Certainly, previous generations had their hip word; boss, cool, bit-hin', fly, etc. (Look at me channeling pop culture!) But it was mostly a new spin or new phrasing of that new language.

With "amazing", the 2020's seem to have taken a word that once meant real wonder, and applied it to anything mundane or average like a redecorated powder room, or an attractively plated cheeseburger, or a new pair of off the rack shoes.

In this instance, it's a 25 year old patio cafe in a shopping center. That got a light remodel. Trust me, that's not "amazing".

Last edited:

TP2000

I do think something along the lines of the San Antonio River Walk would be perfect for Downtown Disney. It has that ideal quaint, intimate, and calm energy that Downtown Disney needs.

I agree.

And using the San Antonio example, they could also do evening drinks n' dessert cruises, with Characters even.

Hello, TDA??? Do you want to make some extra money??? 💰💵💰

20211130_184638-scaled.jpg

Stevek

I'm questioning the steakhouse thing. Anaheim already has the top 3 chain steakhouses in the country, all within about 5 blocks of each other clustered around the Convention Center trade; Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Fleming's.

Is the Downtown Disney steakhouse going to be real and high quality, or an overpriced version of Outback?

Full Disclosure: I do enjoy Outback Steakhouse when I'm on a road trip. And the Bloomin' Onion is mandatory.
I think a steakhouse is fine as it keeps onsite guests, onsite. Heck, Steakhouse 55 wasn't bad and we visited a couple times, including my company having my 25th work anniversary dinner there. Now that being said, if I'm making a trip to Anaheim for a steak, it's Morton's or Flemings.

NobodyElse

Now that being said, if I'm making a trip to Anaheim for a steak, it's Morton's or Flemings.

As an alternative to the chains, you might consider heading down Ball Rd. instead and try The Ranch.

"Proudly listed in the MICHELIN Guide California, THE RANCH Restaurant was named Restaurant of the Year for the city of Anaheim, Best Steakhouse by LA Times, Best of Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator for ten consecutive years, and is home to Orange County’s most exclusive selection of popular and rare spirits."

Stevek

As an alternative to the chains, you might consider heading down Ball Rd. instead and try The Ranch.

"Proudly listed in the MICHELIN Guide California, THE RANCH Restaurant was named Restaurant of the Year for the city of Anaheim, Best Steakhouse by LA Times, Best of Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator for ten consecutive years, and is home to Orange County’s most exclusive selection of popular and rare spirits."
Have never been there but used to work near it in Anaheim. Didn't even realize there was a restaurant separate from the Saloon. Might have to try it. Thanks!

KeithVH

You know who makes the best Ginger Ale and Tonic Water?.. Seagram's.

It's hard to find it in supermarkets, but it's carried in better liquor stores and served on good airlines.

It's far superior to the cheaper and less flavorful Canada Dry or Schweppe's options, but not as silly-expensive as the glass bottles from Q or Fever Tree.

Does anyone want to join my Seagram's Cool Kids Club with me? I'll make us some buttons.
HA! Just found this reading back thru. Shows how much you know. There is only one acceptable ginger ale and that is VERNORS. Anything else is a poor imitation.

MarvelCharacterNerd

HA! Just found this reading back thru. Shows how much you know. There is only one acceptable ginger ale and that is VERNORS. Anything else is a poor imitation.
Funny enough as I was sipping my Canada Dry today, I was thinking of this thread and contemplating whether to seek out a ginger ale with actual ginger in it...

Looks like both Seagrams and Vernors would be more expensive than Canada Dry?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom