The Downtown Disney Thread

NobodyElse

Speaking of the other luxury outdoor malls around SoCal that are far more themed and "immersive" than Downtown Disney... It makes me wonder who designed those complexes for their owners? It wasn't WDI, so who was it?

Just the designs of all the interesting fountains and water sculptures they have at Irvine Spectrum in their Moorish/Iberian themed courtyards has me wondering who designed the swanky complex for them?

For what it's worth, our friends at Wikipedia list:
ArchitectPerkowitz & Ruth (Phase 1)
RTKL Associates (Phase 2)
B.A.R. Architects (Phase 3) Unknown Architect ( phases 4-6)

As you allude to, the design aesthetic was inspired by The Alhambra in Granada Spain. They did a pretty tasteful job, for a modern retail environment.

Anecdotal Fun-Fact: I knew a guy who had an office upstairs at Edwards Big Newport at the time the Spectrum was being developed. Spectrum phase 1 was basically the Edwards 21, and the food court. Apparently (likely knowing how big the complex would eventually become) "Old Man Edwards" really wanted the Irvine Co to put in a train of some sort to circle the center. That would have been yet another themed tie to those other centers you mention.

Last edited:

TP2000

For what it's worth, our friends at Wikipedia list:
ArchitectPerkowitz & Ruth (Phase 1)
RTKL Associates (Phase 2)
B.A.R. Architects (Phase 3) Unknown Architect ( phases 4-6)

As you allude to, the design aesthetic was inspired by The Alhambra in Granada Spain. They did a pretty tasteful job, for a modern retail environment.

Anecdotal Fun-Fact: I new a guy who had an office upstairs at Edwards Big Newport at the time the Spectrum was being developed. Spectrum phase 1 was basically the Edwards 21, and the food court. Apparently (likely knowing how big the complex would eventually become) "Old Man Edwards" really wanted the Irvine Co to put in a train of some sort to circle the center. That would have been yet another themed tie to those other centers you mention.

Fascinating!

As I remember, I went on a few dates at the Edwards 21 and restaurant area when it first opened, I think around 1995. It was very snazzy then, but the whole thing got even snazzier around the turn of the century when they built all those shopping arcades themed to Spain and such. Really impressive stuff for a shopping mall in the suburbs.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in that WDI conference room when the TDA execs declared they would go the design and budgetary route they're going with Downtown Disney's 2020's remodel.

Whatever this is supposed to be, it's not impressive and certainly not unique to my eye. This is, for all intents and purposes, a 21st century strip mall without the parking spaces. Or, as a Disney Parks Blog writer on her fourth Keurig pod of the morning calls it... "A Dynamic Multi-Cultural Lifestyle Space!" 🤔

Disneyland-Downtown-Disney-westside-concept-art-strip-mall.jpg

Last edited:

Consumer

At least they did something right with the new stage!

A self described "Artivisit,"Nikkolas Smith has infused his passion for social justice into his unique portfolio of art...
Why is this even necessary to bring up? What happened to Bob Iger wanting to move away from divisive politics? Why is there even a poster talking about the designer? Where is Marc Davis' poster in front of Pirates of the Caribbean?

Consumer

How come Downtown Disney doesn't have a Disneyland Visitor Center? Just a small little building with maps of Disneyland, a model of the Disneyland Resort, a theater showing a brief history of Disneyland, small interactive exhibits, and of course Disneyland merchandise.

The Alamo is currently investing in a state of the art visitor center. Part of the Hollywood Blvd. revitalization plan is to construct a visitor center. The French Quarter in New Orleans has a visitor center. Every National Park has a visitor center. They're easy, accessible, starting points for tourists who don't spend hours researching before their trips.

The fact the only Guest Relations are within the parks seems very limiting, especially if there's a problem within Downtown Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How come Downtown Disney doesn't have a Disneyland Visitor Center? Just a small little building with maps of Disneyland, a model of the Disneyland Resort, a theater showing a brief history of Disneyland, small interactive exhibits, and of course Disneyland merchandise.

The Alamo is currently investing in a state of the art visitor center. Part of the Hollywood Blvd. revitalization plan is to construct a visitor center. The French Quarter in New Orleans has a visitor center. Every National Park has a visitor center. They're easy, accessible, starting points for tourists who don't spend hours researching before their trips.

The fact the only Guest Relations are within the parks seems very limiting, especially if there's a problem within Downtown Disney.
I think Disney Springs may have one, but really do outside malls typically have "Visitor Centers"? Other than a "You are here" sign what more information is needed about an outside mall, especially DTD, even if it is within a Disney Resort.

Consumer

I think Disney Springs may have one, but really do outside malls typically have "Visitor Centers"? Other than a "You are here" sign what more information is needed about an outside mall, especially DTD, even if it is within a Disney Resort.
I'm not proposing a visitor center for Downtown Disney, but a visitor center for the Disneyland Resort located within Downtown Disney. There should be a place where guests can ask questions about the parks without having to enter the parks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not proposing a visitor center for Downtown Disney, but a visitor center for the Disneyland Resort located within Downtown Disney. There should be a place where guests can ask questions about the parks without having to enter the parks.
Isn't that what the ticket booths are for? To provide information to guests and deal with issues prior to entering the Parks.

Consumer

Isn't that what the ticket booths are for?
If somebody wants to learn more about the history of the parks, get help identifying a plant they've seen in the resort, find out show times, try to comprehend Genie+, or any other question a guest may have, they're not going to go to a ticket booth understaffed by some people who can barely understand you due to the plexiglass and speaker separating the cast member from the guest.

You do make a good point, however, in bringing up those ticket booths. Frankly, they should be torn down. They're not easy to use and more importantly they're outdated. Most guests today purchase their tickets digitally. If guests want to purchase a physical ticket, they can do it in the visitor center, which could be located right where the western ticket booths are.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If somebody wants to learn more about the history of the parks, get help identifying a plant they've seen in the resort, find out show times, try to comprehend Genie+, or any other question a guest may have, they're not going to go to a ticket booth understaffed by some people who can barely understand you due to the plexiglass and speaker separating the cast member from the guest.

You do make a good point, however, in bringing up those ticket booths. Frankly, they should be torn down. They're not easy to use and more importantly they're outdated. Most guests today purchase their tickets digitally. If guests want to purchase a physical ticket, they can do it in the visitor center, which could be located right where the western ticket booths are.
Well since most purchases are digital haven't the ticket booths become the de-facto guest services for questions prior to entering the Parks. I don't know if it still exists but I recall there used to be a guest services window on the DCA side outside the gates. Anything else would seem to be stuff that would be handled once inside the gates.

But really I'm not sure how many guests are asking about the flora around the Resort, especially prior to entering the Park, like they would be in a national park.

SSG

Disney Eats​

More Disney Eats Stories
New Culinary Delights Coming to Downtown Disney District

Wed, April 10, 2024

New Culinary Delights Coming to Downtown Disney District​

Valerie Lee
by Valerie Lee, Public Relations Manager, Disneyland Resort
Food lovers, get your taste buds ready for more exciting, all-new dining in the works at the Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort! This spring, come savor innovative flavors and culinary creativity with three new Mexican dining experiences, plus we’re announcing timing for the arrival of Din Tai Fung, future plans for more new restaurants and more sweet treats coming your way!
Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort - Paseo 

Sneak Peeks of Paseo, Céntrico and Tiendita, Celebrating Opening in May

With a vibrant expression of his native food and culture, Mexico’s first Michelin-starred Chef Carlos Gaytán is bringing authentic Mexican fare to the Downtown Disney District. His dishes will take guests on a multi-sensory journey to the heart of his homeland of Huitzuco, Mexico, through three distinctive concepts opening in the next few weeks: Paseo, Céntrico and Tiendita!
Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort - Paseo

A stunning staircase will lead you to Paseo’s show-stopping dining room and bar area lined with rich woods, tiles, textures, leathers and custom accents that celebrate Mexico’s craftsmanship culture. An extended upper patio will offer exceptional new views of the district!
Downtown Disney District – Mejillones at Paseo 

Chef Gaytán’s connection to his homeland comes to life as he pairs his love of Mexico with French culinary style and technique. Standout Paseo menu items will include colorful ceviches, Mama’s cochinita pibil (roasted marinated pork), lamb barbacoa and the mejillones (mussels) pictured above.
Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort - Céntrico  

Céntrico, the courtyard bar and restaurant, will be an energetic, central gathering place serving upscale Mexican cuisine and tequila-based cocktails. Its open, airy spaces designed with custom wood elements and lush greenery will welcome you into its outdoor canopy.
Downtown Disney District – Tlayuda at Céntrico  

Céntrico’s featured dishes will include quesabirrias, chicken enchiladas, tlayuda (a Oaxacan shareable dish reminiscent of a pizza with a perfect crunch) and one of Chef Gaytán’s favorites, Caesar salad.
Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort - Tiendita 

At Tiendita, you’ll experience Mexican heritage flavors and street-food staples on the go. Through a self-ordering kiosk, menu options will include esquites (roasted corn), fish tacos, ice cream- stuffed chocolate tacos, and breakfast favorites like chorizo breakfast burritos and chilaquiles (marinated tortilla chips with egg). You may even see the expert culinary team at work, adding to the experience!
Chef Gaytán leading a cooking demonstration at the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival

Chef Gaytán recently led a cooking demonstration at the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival giving festival-goers a first look at his tetelas, which are stuffed corn masa triangles that will be on the menu at Paseo. The Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival runs through April 22, 2024. Check out the Disney Eats Foodie Guide for a complete list of this year’s marketplaces and menu items!
Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort – Din Tai Fung 

Din Tai Fung Opening This Summer

Another delicious update! Din Tai Fung, a Michelin-awarded restaurant brand from Taiwan, will open this summer in the district, bringing their signature soup dumplings (Xiao Long Bao), wontons, noodles, steamed buns, bok choy, pork chop fried rice and other flavorful dishes served family style.

New Steakhouse and BBQ Concepts Coming to Downtown Disney

We’re excited to let you in on more mouth-watering plans we have underway! Two new restaurant concepts – a steakhouse restaurant and an adjacent barbecue eatery – are in the works for the Downtown Disney District. These will be located on the footprint of the former Tortilla Jo’s. We look forward to sharing more, soon!
Expansion and Reimagination Coming to Marceline’s Confectionery   

Expansion and Reimagination Coming to Marceline’s Confectionery

Something sweet is underway at Marceline’s Confectionery. We’re designing an all-new, expanded and completely reimagined confection experience featuring your favorite treats and fun new tasty offerings! While work on this location will soon be in progress, you can visit Marceline’s cart coming soon to the district to pick up your caramel apples, churro toffee and other handcrafted goodies.
During this transformation of Marceline’s, The Disney Dress Shop has temporarily moved to the WonderGround Gallery location, and select items from WonderGround Gallery may be found in Disney Home.
What are you looking forward to tasting? And don’t forget, there are plenty of great places right now to enjoy a memorable meal or grab an iconic Disney treat in Downtown Disney District!
As always, stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more delicious details!

MarvelCharacterNerd

A steakhouse and BBQ sound good, though I won't be able to afford the steakhouse. :p

So many of the other new locations are completely uninteresting to me, but that's fine - something for everyone.

TP2000

I'm questioning the steakhouse thing. Anaheim already has the top 3 chain steakhouses in the country, all within about 5 blocks of each other clustered around the Convention Center trade; Morton's, Ruth's Chris, and Fleming's.

Is the Downtown Disney steakhouse going to be real and high quality, or an overpriced version of Outback?

Full Disclosure: I do enjoy Outback Steakhouse when I'm on a road trip. And the Bloomin' Onion is mandatory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom