The Downtown Disney Thread

EPCOTCenterLover

All great choices at Disney Springs, but I don't think Edison or Morimoto's have a place in Anaheim's DTD. The Edison is way too adult for DTD. Maybe Morimoto's could work inside Disneyland Hotel to replace Steakhouse 55, but DTD is for quick stops, not big high-end meals. That's why I didn't include Boathouse either (completely aside from no local body of water to merit the theming).

And I know Raglan Road isn't a big high-end meal, but I don't see an Irish pub having an appeal to SoCal guests vs. the more international (and a lot of UK) visitors at WDW. Nor any of the good food but more Southern-appealing Art Smith's or Chicken Guy. I did include Polite Pig and B.B. Wolf's Sausage Co. for the local carnivores though so my list wouldn't be just the sweet stops! :D
Definitely good points, although I think they’d provide some good nightlife options for guests without a car.

TP2000

Definitely good points, although I think they’d provide some good nightlife options for guests without a car.

These Downtown Disney dining options are also aimed at the convention crowd. Conventions haven't returned yet, but they will. The entire Anaheim Resort District has a strong business plan aimed squarely at convention goers and their corporate expense accounts.

It's a business that many of us here overlook as we're all focused on Disneyland, but the convention industry is why much of the Anaheim Resort District exists. Especially the new high-end hotels and swanky steakhouses.

Downtown Disney has historically tried to get a sizable chunk of the convention trade, not just Disneyland date niters and Disney-crazed locals. Anaheim has the largest convention center on the West Coast, and one of the top 5 largest in the United States. That type of massive facility and visitor draw can't help but have an impact on any business within a 15 minute walk of it.

TrojanUSC

All great choices at Disney Springs, but I don't think Edison or Morimoto's have a place in Anaheim's DTD. The Edison is way too adult for DTD. Maybe Morimoto's could work inside Disneyland Hotel to replace Steakhouse 55, but DTD is for quick stops, not big high-end meals. That's why I didn't include Boathouse either (completely aside from no local body of water to merit the theming).

And I know Raglan Road isn't a big high-end meal, but I don't see an Irish pub having an appeal to SoCal guests vs. the more international (and a lot of UK) visitors at WDW. Nor any of the good food but more Southern-appealing Art Smith's or Chicken Guy. I did include Polite Pig and B.B. Wolf's Sausage Co. for the local carnivores though so my list wouldn't be just the sweet stops! :D

Have heard, though not confirmed, Morimoto will replace Tortilla Joe's, which will move to the current Uva Bar space. Patina will then also take a larger part of the F&B operations at the DLR hotels.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Have heard, though not confirmed, Morimoto will replace Tortilla Joe's, which will move to the current Uva Bar space. Patina will then also take a larger part of the F&B operations at the DLR hotels.
That's an interesting rearrange. Still not sure how an upscale non-kid-friendly place does in DTD. But then, I still don't know why (other than expanding their contract from WDW), there is a bowling alley in DTD, so... 🤷‍♂️

TrojanUSC

That's an interesting rearrange. Still not sure how an upscale non-kid-friendly place does in DTD. But then, I still don't know why (other than expanding their contract from WDW), there is a bowling alley in DTD, so... 🤷‍♂️

Morimoto Asia at WDW is very much a dumbed down version (particularly in the last few years) of Chef Morimoto's other restaurants. While there is some carryover, there's a lot more now for the kids and Panda Express crowd.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Morimoto Asia at WDW is very much a dumbed down version (particularly in the last few years) of Chef Morimoto's other restaurants. While there is some carryover, there's a lot more now for the kids and Panda Express crowd.
I legit didn't know whether to respond to this with "Like" because agreed or Sad or Mad at the result. lol

jmuboy

I had hoped Morimoto would come to DL. It’s grest. I assumed it might be in the espn zone space.

CaptinEO

Patina runs their restaurants so poorly.

When we went back to Disneyland shortly after it reopened, Naples had actually doubled their prices. We didn't find out until we already showed up for our reservation of course.

The 19 dollar medium pizza we used to split was 40 dollars. The Calamari appetizer that was 11 dollars was now 20.

This is all for a restaurant that has always given us terrible customer service. If they start operating in Disney's hotels it's not gonna be good.

That being said, Disney's own restaurants are also on the decline too.

AJFireman

Along with La Brea Bakery Cafe permanently closing today.

Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen closed today to finish up there renovation. They did do it in phases so it shouldnt be too long. They had finished the second story renovation and were seating customers there. The first floor was blocked off and you can see it was being demo'd.

mickEblu

Along with La Brea Bakery Cafe permanently closing today.

Ralph Brennans Jazz Kitchen closed today to finish up their renovation. They did do it in phases so it shouldnt be too long. They had finished the second story renovation and were seating customers there. The first floor was blocked off and you can see it was being demo'd.

Ralph Brennan’s renovation seems to be universally hated. Makes you wonder what they were thinking. It’s obvious that between here and the WDW hotels they re just keen on de-theming and make everything look generic.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Earl of Sandwich and Earl of Sandwich Tavern will be opening (in the former La Brea Bakery) in February -

"For those of you who crave delicious, handcrafted sandwiches, you will be delighted to learn that the fan-favorite Earl of Sandwich will be returning to the Downtown Disney District this February! Soon you can once again look forward to one of their hot sandwiches on artisan bread, with grab-and-go options at Earl of Sandwich or table service options at Earl of Sandwich Tavern, both of which will be temporarily located at the La Brea Bakery location. La Brea Bakery is exiting the restaurant business, and we thank them for two decades of partnership in the Downtown Disney District. Keep your eyes peeled for Earl of Sandwich opening in the coming weeks!"

Update on Porto's Bakery -

"And that’s not all for the east side of Downtown Disney District – as we previously shared at D23 Expo, Porto’s Bakery will be bringing their famous Cheese Rolls, California-Cuban cuisine and more to the district. Plans are underway to design and construct an all-new Porto’s location near the Esplanade on the footprint of the La Brea Bakery location. We look forward to sharing more about these exciting plans in the future."

Also new concept art for Din Tai Fung -

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 7.04.04 PM.png

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

"For those of you who crave delicious, handcrafted sandwiches, you will be delighted to learn that the fan-favorite Earl of Sandwich will be returning to the Downtown Disney District this February! Soon you can once again look forward to one of their hot sandwiches on artisan bread, with grab-and-go options at Earl of Sandwich or table service options at Earl of Sandwich Tavern, both of which will be temporarily located at the La Brea Bakery location. La Brea Bakery is exiting the restaurant business, and we thank them for two decades of partnership in the Downtown Disney District. Keep your eyes peeled for Earl of Sandwich opening in the coming weeks!"

View attachment 691017

That was fast.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Earl of Sandwich and Earl of Sandwich Tavern will be opening (in the former La Brea Bakery) in February -

Update on Porto's Bakery -

"And that’s not all for the east side of Downtown Disney District – as we previously shared at D23 Expo, Porto’s Bakery will be bringing their famous Cheese Rolls, California-Cuban cuisine and more to the district. Plans are underway to design and construct an all-new Porto’s location near the Esplanade on the footprint of the La Brea Bakery location. We look forward to sharing more about these exciting plans in the future."

View attachment 691017
This is my concern:
grab-and-go options at Earl of Sandwich or table service options at Earl of Sandwich Tavern
Grab and go? As in a deli case of pre-made cold sandwiches or... Table service? As in double the cost of the same sandwich plus chips you don't want and pay a tip?

I'm NOT going to be happy if we can't order a hot fresh sandwich, have it made then and there, packaged to go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom