The Downtown Disney Thread

planodisney

Yes you do. And it’s recognizable.
Sorry but you’re just flat out wrong. Everything I post is what I’m thinking/feeling or how I’m projecting my thoughts from what I’m seeing. Schtick implies it’s just an act to get response. I’ve never once in almost 20 years made a non genuine post on any board. You can say I’m wrong, misguided, overreacting......., all of which I’ve probably done in 20 years. You can even say it was a stupid post or even I’M personally an idiot, but I woul ask you nicely to please stop assailing my character. You don’t know me and I’m not sure why YOU PERSONALLY have such a problem with me. Maybe I don’t read enough of your posts and it’s just your personality. You can have the last word and I’ll read whatever other rudeness you have to through out and not respond.

Last edited:

Disneylover152

Disney has got to be kinda scared to try anything after the failure of Galaxy's Edge. They invested 1 billion and didn't get what they wanted in return. So in result, there was a lack of D23 announcements regarding upcoming projects for Disneyland. In April, they announced Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway so they could announce the new Tomorrowland and other projects. This was before Galaxy's Edge opened in May.
There would have been a lack of announcements even if Galaxys Edge did spectacular and exceeded expectations. Disneyland resort has no space for anything, they can’t constantly build in the parks like WDW is doing.

Californian Elitist

Sorry but you’re just flat out wrong. Everything I post is what I’m thinking/feeling or how I’m projecting my thoughts from what I’m seeing. Schtick implies it’s just an act to get response. I’ve never once in almost 20 years made a non genuine post on any board. You can say I’m wrong, misguided, overreacting......., all of which I’ve probably done in 20 years. You can even say it was a stupid post or even I’M personally an idiot, but I woul ask you nicely to please stop assailing my character. You don’t know me and I’m not sure why YOU PERSONALLY have such a problem with me. Maybe I don’t read enough of your posts and it’s just your personality. You can have the last word and I’ll read whatever other rudeness you have to through out and not respond.

You have a schtick. If you don’t like that term, I’ll use “spiel.” Basically you have made similar comments many times throughout your time here and it’s obvious and also easy to catch. We all have spiels, but I’ll get back to that in a sec.

I’ve never thought of you as an idiot or considered your posts “stupid.” Troll-ish, yes (the spiel ones). Ridiculous, yes (the spiel ones). But not stupid.

I never claimed to know you and I definitely don’t have a personal problem with you. Again, I don’t know you, there’s nothing personal to have. You’re just very dramatic sometimes, just like you are with this post, and it’s annoying at times. I’m not the only one who’s called you out on these posts, by the way. I never said anything about your character. For the now third time, I don’t know you. I made a comment about your posts. Those are two different things.

Speaking of your posts, let’s get to your spiel, what Rescue initially called out and what I agreed about. Your repetitive spiel will usually consist of overly dramatic, negative comments about the DLR and the company’s investment in it, specifically (just like the post you recently made in this thread). Basically the company no longer cares to put investment in the DLR, the DLR is in trouble, it’s obvious the company isn’t concerned with the DLR, it’s the step-child, nothing’s coming our way in the future, etc. And very occasionally, you’ll also compare it to WDW and mention how much better WDW is. This is your spiel. You’ve made a number of posts with this kind of material. This is specifically what I was calling you out on. I created a phrase for it earlier, “the dramatics.” Examples will be posted below.

The amount of money Disney pours into WDW is absolutely jaw dropping. I'm not sure west coasters really understand what a tiny tiny drop in the bucket DLR is, in terms of both investment and revenue. Even during the DCA makeover, more was being spent in Orlando with New FL, Disney Springs, new hotel, DVC expansion.....

Wow!!!
Massive expansion to WDSP, much larger than the DCA remake.
What I take away from this is that Disney is tired of how difficult it is to do business in California and has decided to shift its focus
on areas that appreciate the huge economic benefit.
After Star Wars, which let’s face it Disney has no choice but to add it to Anaheim as well as Orlando, it looks like DLR is being virtually abandoned in terms of any major expansion
and development.
Whether it’s Squaw Valley trying to expand or
other ski resort expansions being completely axed, or Disney canceling planned parking and entrance changes/expansion, California
has become a terrible climate to do business.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the entertainment studios move more than just their production out of the state in the future.
So sad.

Só Mário Kart for USH and a huge Nintendoland for USO. The Orlando Disney and Universal resorts just continue to get vastly superior to the west coast versions. I used to think Anaheim could SOMEWHAT hold its own, but after my last trip to Orlando and seeing Disney Springs and all the new resort development and future attractions in the works, it really makes DLR look pitiful. Closed down AMC, closed Rainforest Cafe, carousel and Inside out spinner additions to the 2nd gate as well as a inferior hand me down 4d show from Magic Kingdom. Couple that with how incredible the level of investment will be for WDW over the next 5 years vs a cheaper out Marvel addition for DCA and nothing much else to get excited about. They really have begun treating DLR as the litylevstep child they just have to deal with.
I guess Universsl Hollywood just has no space to do much.

I haven’t been to DL in a few years so I honestly didn’t realize it has gotten so bad as to fall behind Pigeon Forge. I guess I’m glad I’ve started going to WDW with my family.

Those reasons, IMHO, make it even worse for the hopes of major future development at DLR.
If Disney sees they can’t pack the parks with tourists coming to Anaheim no matter what they build,they may give up hope of expansion out west.
Hopefully I’m wrong.

This is shaping up to be a disaster for DLR.
DHS version of GE will open and the park will be a chaotic mess, setting record attendance numbers. Disney will wash their hands of major investment in Anaheim.
This is my fear!!
The Disney corporation isn’t in the business of supporting a local park and adding attractions that don’t expand their brand but make local Disney loyalists happy.
If they keep failing to expand DLR into a bigger destination draw, they will eventually give up.
This has nothing to due with Star Wars or GE, or the quality of the park, this has everything to do with the market they are in.I don’t get it.

Yah I think it’s going to be WDWcentric again.
They seem to have made a shift that most all of the marketing and push goes into WDW and the international parks.
They will have a small section on DCA but I’m guessing they don’t even talk about Marvel Phase 2 for DCA, which is the most interesting part.
Frankly how they’ve thrown in the towel on DLR is depressing. I’m not sure if theyve given up on pleasing the impossible to please or just finally feel like dealing with California politics isn’t worth it anymore.

I don’t think it serves ANY advantage, particularly not to DL. I just get the feeling that with this particular attraction they don’t want anything steeling the thunder from WDW. This IS the weenie
of the entire land and possibly the biggest attraction ever created. All of the national and international marketing for GE is being put into WDW, and if you read the interview with Chapek that everyone was critical of, he says that the opening of Star Wars GE in DL serves as a good test for WDW. I think they wanted to use DL to iron out the kinks before the grand reveal in Orlando.
Of course I could be way overthinking this!!

As I’ve said before, it REALLY feels like they are abandoning any major resort expansion plan they might have had for Anaheim and putting all their major investments into WDW, Paris and Asia.
I’m bummed!!!!!

Can’t forget this overly dramatic and puzzling gem, which you later apologized for, so that’s mentionable:

I think a lot of DL fans are underestimating the huge effect that the reception of Galaxys Edge in Anaheim is going to have on the future of the resort. Hollywood Studios is about to open to massive crowds. Don’t believe me, the reservations for Savis workshop opened up yesterday and in 1 day there are no reservations available until October. I’m going September 23rd with my wife and kids and virtually everything is booked up from the Cantina to Savis and Droid Depot. The comparison between the 2 openings is going to place DLR and it’s fanbase and it’s ability to pull big spending tourists in a very very bad light to Disney Execs. I see massive purse strings being tightened out west and major additions shelved. As well as maintenance deteriorating.
I’m sorry but a large part of the local fanbase either ***** and moan 24 hours a day about EVERYTHING, or they show up to the parks, looking and behaving like misfits/animals/white trash. I used to feel that DL had the higher class customers but man has that ever changed!!!
I think lean times are coming for Anaheim.
Either that, or they will finally say screw it to catering to and being fearful of the DL loyalists who want the park to be a museum and keep TDA from making the decisions to turn DLR into a true destination like Vegas or WDW or.........
Yes I’m looking at you puny castle that almost looks ridiculously little when walking down main street and is always the NUMBER 1 thing people who have visited other Disney destinations and then go to DL remember and talk about.
And no loyalists, they don’t go on and on about Pirates being 8 minutes longer and the cozy square in the back of New Orleans. FWIW, I love both of those aspects of DL. Just venting some frustration here over the **** poor reception of GE in Anaheim and ridiculous armchair imagineer “geniuses” who hate everything going on but are on Disney park fansites virtually 24 hours a day.

Ok there!!
Now be gentle with the returning onslaught please!
Believe it or not I hate confrontation but I guess I deserve what’s coming!!
I just want to see DLR do well and grow and have exciting expansions and I’m frustrated with how hard it is out west.

DLR fans better hope you’re right!
Because if GE opens at Hollywood Studios to huge crowds and long lines the discussion is going to shift very quickly from what’s wrong with GE, to what wrong in Anaheim, particularly internally.
That will be TERRIBLE for DLR.

And more recently...

Anaheim’s Downtown Disney is evidence #1 that DLR is of little concern to WDC anymore. It’s currently as big of an embarrassment as DCA was for the company. It’s now replaced WDS Paris as the most left to rot piece in the entire Disney empire. I think the fiasco with Eastern Gateway and then the tax relief deal for the new 4 diamond hotel mess has sealed Anaheim’s fate for quite a while. I just hope we can hurry up and start groundbreaking on the Avengers e-ticket before they decide it’s not worth the investment.

Again, we all have spiels. This one’s yours.

The sky isn’t falling and the company is not going to stop investing in the DLR. I’m honestly confused as to why you keep coming to this conclusion, as there’s evidence that directly contradicts these claims and theories, but alas. Anyways, I don’t personally have a problem with you. But you can’t deny you’ve made similar comments multiple times.

planodisney

You have a schtick. If you don’t like that term, I’ll use “spiel.” Basically you have made similar comments many times throughout your time here and it’s obvious and also easy to catch. We all have spiels, but I’ll get back to that in a sec.

I’ve never thought of you as an idiot or considered your posts “stupid.” Troll-ish, yes (the spiel ones). Ridiculous, yes (the spiel ones). But not stupid.

I never claimed to know you and I definitely don’t have a personal problem with you. Again, I don’t know you, there’s nothing personal to have. You’re just very dramatic sometimes, just like you are with this post, and it’s annoying at times. I’m not the only one who’s called you out on these posts, by the way. I never said anything about your character. For the now third time, I don’t know you. I made a comment about your posts. Those are two different things.

Speaking of your posts, let’s get to your spiel, what Rescue initially called out and what I agreed about. Your repetitive spiel will usually consist of overly dramatic, negative comments about the DLR and the company’s investment in it, specifically (just like the post you recently made in this thread). Basically the company no longer cares to put investment in the DLR, the DLR is in trouble, it’s obvious the company isn’t concerned with the DLR, it’s the step-child, nothing’s coming our way in the future, etc. And very occasionally, you’ll also compare it to WDW and mention how much better WDW is. This is your spiel. You’ve made a number of posts with this kind of material. This is specifically what I was calling you out on. I created a phrase for it earlier, “the dramatics.” Examples will be posted below.

Can’t forget this overly dramatic and puzzling gem, which you later apologized for, so that’s mentionable:

And more recently...

The sky isn’t falling and the company is not going to stop investing in the DLR. I’m honestly confused as to why you keep coming to this conclusion, as there’s evidence that directly contradicts these claims and theories, but alas. Anyways, I don’t personally have a problem with you. But you can’t deny you’ve made similar comments multiple times.
That’s fair. Overly dramatic? Very acceptable criticism. Definitely not intentionally being annoying.
Frustrated with things like abandoning any plans for DTD that have been in the works for going on 7 years now? Very much so. Concerned that the reception of Galaxys Edge is going to have a negative impact on future investment for DLR, particularly on the back of the city council difficulties? Absolutely.
Will try not posting these opinions/concerns annoyingly in the future.
But, some of us listen to one negative post after another about Galaxys Edge, Avengers Campus, basically everything WDI adds to thecresorts these days. Post after post after post from the same people basically saying the same thing over and over and over again.
Trust me for some of us that’s EXTREMELY annoying yet I don’t remember any of us who differ from these opinions personally labeling these posters as having Schtick and being annoying. If you’ll notice, another member posted similar criticism above in a less whiny and more concise way than I did above. I responded that she said it much better than I did.
Anyway your above post was fair criticism.

Last edited:

Disneylover152

Disneyland is expanding the correct amount in Anaheim. Sans the backlot, the resort is fine. Even Tomorrowland, while thematically it’s a mess and there’s lots of abandoned buildings, the individual rides in the land draw in crowds and are popular. Disneyland doesn’t need 50 new things in the upcoming years. The resort is fine. WDW needs 50+ new things, it’s a mess. Even the worst lands at DLR (again sans Backlot) are not nearly as bad as Future World, Echo Lake, Dinoland, etc. Same with Hong Kong and Paris, both of those resorts need those major expansions desperately. And the only reason those expansions look greater than DCAs, is because they are adding onto the park rather than doing a mix of replacing and new stuff.

In short, DLR is fine. It could use a few minor things here or there but not as much as the other parks are getting. And seeing what they are doing in WDW, DLR should be happy they aren’t redoing the entire resort.

Disneylover152

I have a whole rant on SW and why people are being overdramatic about it’s failure but I’m too tired to write it all out on my phone. After coffee and when I get access to my laptop.

Californian Elitist

That’s fair. Overly dramatic? Very acceptable criticism. Definitely not intentionally being annoying.
Frustrated with things like abandoning any plans for DTD that have been in the works for going on 7 years now? Very much so. Concerned that the reception of Galaxys Edge is going to have a negative impact on future investment for DLR, particularly on the back of the city council difficulties? Absolutely.
But, some of us listen to one negative post after another about Galaxys Edge, Avengers Campus, basically everything WDI adds to thecresorts these days. Post after post after post from the same people basically saying the same thing over and over and over again.
Trust me for some of us that’s EXTREMELY annoying yet I don’t remember any of us who differ from these opinions personally labeling these posters as having Schtick and being annoying. If you’ll notice, another member posted similar criticism above in a less whiny and more concise way than I did above. I responded that she said it much better than I did.

Trust me, I get it. I get annoyed with Disney on a regular basis, as they’ve constantly been making poor decisions in my eyes for quite some time now. It is frustrating.

RescueTheDay

And more recently...

Thank you for all of this. It’s exhausting reading the same post over and over when it holds no merit. DLR has bee steadily growing and still offers the most extensive lineup of attractions. WDW has always been there “crown jewel” and needs to catch up. All the additions happening there should have been happening years ago cause all of the parks are lacking.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
One thing I'll add to have others have posted on your posts, is I think you look at things on a very surface level. You see no major announcements and assume nothing is happening and then try to find evidence to support your theory. I've seen a lot of posters make the same assumptions.

The next major announcement will hopefully be that the Eastern Gateway project is back on and construction will start on that. Once that is done then a lot of other pieces will start to fall into place.

But one thing is for sure Disney is by no means stopping, halting, or otherwise giving up on investing in Anaheim.

Stevek

Shoving a mall into the middle of Disneyland was always a dumb idea that only Paul Pressler could have loved.
Most of the time we are there, generally on weekends, DtD is packed. We still enjoying going once in awhile as we love Naples and are apparently the only people that enjoy Tortilla Joe’s (also usually packed). It really has become much more of a dining destination at this point versus shopping unless you are going to WoD.

planodisney

One thing I'll add to have others have posted on your posts, is I think you look at things on a very surface level. You see no major announcements and assume nothing is happening and then try to find evidence to support your theory. I've seen a lot of posters make the same assumptions.

The next major announcement will hopefully be that the Eastern Gateway project is back on and construction will start on that. Once that is done then a lot of other pieces will start to fall into place.

But one thing is for sure Disney is by no means stopping, halting, or otherwise giving up on investing in Anaheim.
Yes please jump in on the critiquing planodisney posting style. 😉. No I get your point but DtD enhancements have been on the table since shortly after the DCA makeover.
I don’t really trust that “other” sites current rumor articles but it will be interesting to see if it turns out that DLR development has been cancelled because of the reception to GE. I find it virtually impossible that a decision that huge would be made within 2 months of a disappointing opening.
Also I can assure you I give it more thought than just basing my opinions on the latest flashy rumor or d23 announcement.
I’m still not getting why my posts on THIS PARTICULAR subject are garnering so much criticism while people on here who post the same negative comments over and over and over again
aren’t annoying or dont ever personally have their posting style challenged.
I never said Disney will STOP spending or investing completely in Anaheim. My concern is that the BIG PLANS of turning DLR into a genuine tourist destination with additional hotel rooms, enhanced DtD and major additions that COULD eventually lead to a 3rd gate “someday” down the rode because of increased revenue have gone out of favor with current leadership because of the tepid reception to Galaxies Edge and the difficulty they’ve had dealing with Anaheim. You do realize that’s not a far fetched assumption right?

Last edited:

planodisney

Shoving a mall into the middle of Disneyland was always a dumb idea that only Paul Pressler could have loved.
As a tourist and not a local, having DtD right there on site is is such a huge bonus for us. In fact when we discuss with our friends about giving DLR a shot, this is one of the biggest points we make that people seam to like. 2 parks and DtD all within walking distance of each other.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes please jump in on the critiquing planodisney posting style. 😉. No I get your point but DtD enhancements have been on the table since shortly after the DCA makeover.
I don’t really trust that “other” sites current rumor articles but it will be interesting to see if it turns out that DLR development has been cancelled because of the reception to GE. I find it virtually impossible that a decision that huge would be made within 2 months of a disappointing opening.
Also I can assure you I give it more thought than just basing my opinions on the latest flashy rumor or d23 announcement.
I’m still not getting why my posts on THIS PARTICULAR subject are garnering so much criticism while people on here who post the same negative comments over and over and over again
aren’t annoying or dont ever personally have their posting style challenged.
I never said Disney will STOP spending or investing completely in Anaheim. My concern is that the BIG PLANS of turning DLR into a genuine tourist destination with additional hotel rooms, enhanced DtD and major additions that COULD eventually lead to a 3rd gate “someday” down the rode because of increased revenue have gone out of favor with current leadership because of the tepid reception to Galaxies Edge and the difficulty they’ve had dealing with Anaheim. You do realize that’s not a far fetched assumption right?
Have you not seen the back and forth I have had with some of the doom and gloomers over the last couple years here? So no its not just you.

Anyways, if there is a slow down in investment in Anaheim it would not be because of SW:GE. If anything that would have been the proverbial nail in the coffin. There were things happening for a long time now that would have been seen as larger reasons for slowing down in investments in Anaheim. However that just hasn't been the case.

Investments are still happening, maybe just in a different way. Yes likely Disney will never build the 4 Diamond hotel, but really they never needed it in the first place. It was Anaheim that really wanted it more than Disney, specifically to entice the coveted convention center folks. Which is the whole reason Anaheim put in the tax deal which got ripped away. Other DLR enhancements will still take place, such as continuing to enhance DtD. Now that the hotel isn't happening they can figure out what to do with ESPN/Rainforest side (rumors have it that they have plans). The EGW project is still happening based on what Darkbeer indicates, they are just waiting to push the plans through Anaheim. A TL redo is still on the table, and will likely be the next large scale project, albeit in a couple years. Same with the FL expansion, it's still on the table as well from what I understand. Not to mention that HwL in DCA is still going to get an overhaul once the EGW project is completed.

So things are still happening and will continue to happen at DLR long term. This doesn't even bring up the rumors of GG and the potential site over there. I fully expect 2021 D23 to be about DLR as we move into the companies 100th anniversary in 2023. The domestic parks will be on display for the world in 2023.

NateD1226

Disney Parks Blog is hinting at Rainforset Cafe being replaced with Star Wars Trading Post

The Star Wars Trading Post, which we first told you about in September, will soon be moving to an exciting new spot at the west end of the Downtown Disney District, becoming a destination for all things Star Wars. Walt Disney Imagineers have created a design inspired by a hidden jungle Resistance base, and it even includes Rey’s iconic speeder prominently displayed at the entrance.

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
Disney Parks Blog is hinting at Rainforset Cafe being replaced with Star Wars Trading Post

Sounds like they'll just move the speeder from Launch Bay over there:
1610907832674.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom