The Downtown Disney Thread

mandelbrot

Anaheim’s Downtown Disney is evidence #1 that DLR is of little concern to WDC anymore. It’s currently as big of an embarrassment as DCA was for the company. It’s now replaced WDS Paris as the most left to rot piece in the entire Disney empire. I think the fiasco with Eastern Gateway and then the tax relief deal for the new 4 diamond hotel mess has sealed Anaheim’s fate for quite a while. I just hope we can hurry up and start groundbreaking on the Avengers e-ticket before they decide it’s not worth the investment.
Disney definitely blundered with the cancelled hotel project and the West end of DtD is an embarrassment. However the rest of DtD has received a lot of refreshing the last couple of years with a lot of occupants being replaced and most of the existing businesses receiving renovations. Aside from the upcoming Asian street food place I wouldn't expect any major additions since resort attendance has been so soft.

RescueTheDay

Anaheim’s Downtown Disney is evidence #1 that DLR is of little concern to WDC anymore. It’s currently as big of an embarrassment as DCA was for the company. It’s now replaced WDS Paris as the most left to rot piece in the entire Disney empire. I think the fiasco with Eastern Gateway and then the tax relief deal for the new 4 diamond hotel mess has sealed Anaheim’s fate for quite a while. I just hope we can hurry up and start groundbreaking on the Avengers e-ticket before they decide it’s not worth the investment.
Always so doom and gloom with you. Disney continues to invest money in California, yet you’re grasping at anything to think otherwise. It’s called planning, they have plans to work out and to see if the Eastern Gateway can become a thing again. This all plays a bit part in what becomes of DTD and future resort plans. As the poster above me said, they’ve been upgrading and bringing in new tenants.

SevenSevens

So no one knows what they're doing? Because clearly whatever it is they're doing they were willing to sacrifice convenient DTD parking for it. I know a small sliver got sacrificed for a foot path to the new parking structure, but why'd they need to close the rest?

mandelbrot

So no one knows what they're doing? Because clearly whatever it is they're doing they were willing to sacrifice convenient DTD parking for it. I know a small sliver got sacrificed for a foot path to the new parking structure, but why'd they need to close the rest?
The construction closed about half of the lot which would have led to frequent but not consistent closures. It was deemed prudent to simply send all DtD guests to Simba which was used for DtD parking anyway on busy days. Right now that lot is used for DLH CM's while most CM's who used to park in Simba now park on the second floor of Mickey & Friends/Pixar Pals. It's been a pain for guests and CM's alike. Hopefully once the old DtD lot is done (should be within two weeks) things will go back to the way they were.

planodisney

Always so doom and gloom with you. Disney continues to invest money in California, yet you’re grasping at anything to think otherwise. It’s called planning, they have plans to work out and to see if the Eastern Gateway can become a thing again. This all plays a bit part in what becomes of DTD and future resort plans. As the poster above me said, they’ve been upgrading and bringing in new tenants.
That’s funny because usually I’m accused of being a Disney apologist. I just call it like I see it.

Disneylover152

So what are they doing with the former DTD parking lot? Are there plans I'm overlooking to turn it into something, or are they just preparing it for some unannounced new additions?

Image result for target

Snow Queen

Honestly, if they wanted to stick a Target in the ruins of the ESPN Zone or the theater or whatever...yeah, sure. Save me a drive down the street. Not like there's anything of value in those buildings.

George Lucas on a Bench

Downtown Disney was never a place that I would frequent except occasionally when I was a drunk. The closed area has that dead mall feel, but the rest of it is usually jumping. What's so wrong with it? One thing I appreciate about it is the lack of the usual crap like McDonald's and the unique restaurants and speciality boutique stores I've otherwise never even heard of. I mean, they have an entire store dedicated to crappy Disney art.

Californian Elitist

Here we go again with the dramatics.

Pam Hates Penguins

Downtown Disney is a sad place, especially on the western part. Whatever happened to redevelopment? There were those rumored plans for a Anaheim version of Disney Springs a few year back.

Disney has got to be kinda scared to try anything after the failure of Galaxy's Edge. They invested 1 billion and didn't get what they wanted in return. So in result, there was a lack of D23 announcements regarding upcoming projects for Disneyland. In April, they announced Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway so they could announce the new Tomorrowland and other projects. This was before Galaxy's Edge opened in May.

RescueTheDay

Disney has got to be kinda scared to try anything after the failure of Galaxy's Edge. They invested 1 billion and didn't get what they wanted in return. So in result, there was a lack of D23 announcements regarding upcoming projects for Disneyland. In April, they announced Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway so they could announce the new Tomorrowland and other projects. This was before Galaxy's Edge opened in May.

There was very little on the pipeline for DLR, besides Marvel, before Galaxy’s Edge failed. Tomorrowland is still being looked into, but is many years away.

RescueTheDay

On the contrary. I couldn’t wish to be wrong any more about my assumptions.
Why would I be throwing out disappointment in Disney’s treatment and hoping something would stick?
Hoping WHAT would stick.
I’m expressing disappointment not trying to prove anything.
You’ve done this same shtick in multiple threads. Speaking of doom and gloom and how the resort won’t receive any more updates. Yet the park as been in a constant state of construction. They’re still working on the Avengers Campus. How about a couple of years without construction walls? More is still to come, but I think DLR can take a couple of down years.

planodisney

You’ve done this same shtick in multiple threads. Speaking of doom and gloom and how the resort won’t receive any more updates. Yet the park as been in a constant state of construction. They’re still working on the Avengers Campus. How about a couple of years without construction walls? More is still to come, but I think DLR can take a couple of down years.
Ok, then tell me my post is wrong and why. I don’t do Schtick. I’m not looking to be clever to rack up likes or get attention. I give my opinions. Never claiming to know everything but just giving my perception of what I’m seeing. I think of the hundreds of opinions I’ve posted on just about every thread, I’ve posted a similar opinion that your personally criticizing me about maybe 3 times. 90% of my posts are pro DLR but I make a complaint a few times and I’m just doing schtick?
So you think letting the giant empty buildings in the West side of DTD is just great and it’s fine to let them sit like that for 2 years?
Fine but I think it sucks.

RescueTheDay

Ok, then tell me my post is wrong and why. I don’t do Schtick. I’m not looking to be clever to rack up likes or get attention. I give my opinions. Never claiming to know everything but just giving my perception of what I’m seeing. I think of the hundreds of opinions I’ve posted on just about every thread, I’ve posted a similar opinion that your personally criticizing me about maybe 3 times. 90% of my posts are pro DLR but I make a complaint a few times and I’m just doing schtick?
So you think letting the giant empty buildings in the West side of DTD is just great and it’s fine to let them sit like that for 2 years?
Fine but I think it sucks.

Dude, you made some bold assumptions up there.
I don’t think it’s great at all, but they had to go back to square one with all of their planning. Things don’t happen overnight and rent at DTD isn’t cheap. I’d rather them have a plan for DTD instead of filling vacant spaces. Trust me, they’re looking at the end and waking till they know what they’re working with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom