The Disney Store

trekkie

Original Poster
When the Disney Store first opened, CEO Michael Eisner billed them as an outlet to promote the movies and theme parks.

If Disney Store merchandise was selling so poorly (Which is why the original makeovers were ordered in the first place ... Which all failed miserably, by the way), Why not come up with better products instead of figuring out ways to diminish the stores reputation and, as a result, destroy everything that made the place so "uniquely Disney"? "Where" are the store collectibles (Animation cells, framed pins, sculptures, watches, lithographs, signed Disneyana, etc)? Where are the "Art of... " books and broader selections of CD's, DVD's and videos?

Current Disney should stop churning out sequels to practically every one of their timeless animated classics and instead focus on producing more original fare. This makes way for great merchandising opportunities and as a result would give the Disney Store greater business.

I am "sure" all those highly educated Disney business men thought of this, though.

Hey ... Why not just turn Disneyland into a giant playground with shops? There's an idea. After all, it would be cheaper to operate and future generations will only it as a giant kiddie area. Not the family entertainment giant it once was.

Just like some of the Disney Stores are now. And If Eisner gets his way, just like every Disney Store in the "near" future will be.

The company today preaches about family, yet at the same time ignores the very aspects and principles of family entertainment upon which they were built.

When The Disney Store debuted, CM's would always go beyond the "basic" customer service. They would greet you at the door & ask you what your interests were and automatically reserve future items based on those interests.

And Now, not only is this not practiced anymore at most locations, but the entire store has suffered because they're "not" practiced anymore. How? By destroying a "huge" part of what made The Disney Store so unique in the first place, people would rather go to a "regular" outlet such as Wal Mart or Costco for their Disney CD's, DVD's, etc.

The unique customer service offered by Disney Store Cast Members always left a sense of true commrodery and relationship with the guest. The friendly greeting at the door, the automatic reservation of Disney merchandise; this is what made many guests come back time and time again. Sure, they could have bought those soundtrack albums at Wal Mart. But It was at The Disney Store where they truly felt special. Where their newfound friends act as Cast Members. And Where that seemingly magical commrodery between guest and cast truly meant they were -- and had to be -- no place else but Disney.

Taking this all away not only destroyed customer loyalty (The store literally lost hundreds of customers who would visit frequently to buy framed art or other high end collectibles), but it threw away the ideals and principles that Disney was founded on.

"It is not myself I am thinking about, but it is the effect of what might happen to whatever is left that bothers me" --Company founder Walt Disney

I went to my local Disney Store on the Sunday before last Christmas, and it was practically empty! Save for a few people who were browsing the store (Half of which ended up not buying anything) ... it is now like a cramped, practically lifeless thing full of cheap plush toys and princess costumes.

Makes me sad & mad at the same time...

Please join the official Disney Store campaign and sign the petition at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bringback_tds

Even the tiniest improvement to these stores would be welcome; or at least I think so.

If I had just one wish, it would be that the execs at Disney realize their boneheaded decisions and, at the very least, return high end Disney merchandise to all Disney Stores.

We cannot guarantee a change. But, if nothing is done, "nothing" will ever have a chance of changing.

Let me tell you ... every time our family goes to one of the local malls and I pass by the Disney Store, I just get so angry; I have to literally force myself from cussing out Eisner -- out loud -- right than and there.

CmdrTostada

I used to love the Disney Store. Now whenever I go in there I feel really sad and cheapened for going in the store, and no I do not consider myself too good for it I shop at walomart all the time, that just goes to show you how the store has degraded. I mean what kind of mickey mouse operation are they running? (sorry for the really bad joke, it had to be said by someone lol)

MicBat

Some of the stuff they offer in the catalog is pretty interesting (snow globes, lithos, etc). But whenever I go into the Disney Store, I feel like I've walked into a little girl's bedroom. The place is nothing but Disney Princess items. Not even can you find many dvd's and videos when you go into the Disney Store anymore. And whatever happened to their line of "beanies"???

trekkie

Original Poster
Just like TY, Disney got greedy; greed overtook common sense (As has been the case for many of their little ventures since '95); common sense became stupidity; too many bean bags were being released too quickly; the majority of people couldn't keep up & became sick of them (Like me); now the company releases most new bean bags in Disneyland, WDW and DCA.

VILLAINSRULE

I WORK AT A DISNEY STORE, which WAS a GALLERY store......it was a magical special place.....then for some reason they decided to close the Gallery section of all but 5 stores, and the parks......and NOW they are only carrying adult items at Christmas! I used to go into the store before I worked there, just because it was a special place! Now it is a glorified Toys-R-Us......and as a CM it is hard to generate the magic that is essential to the success of the Disney Store!
When people complain to me, I always tell them to please write and complain....Disney is very proactive to what the guests say, so if they get enough mail, things WILL change.......sit down, write a letter, and then tell 5 of your closest friends to write a letter.........and hopefully the magic will be restored to the Disney stores!:animwink:

FutureCEO

i have an idea. How bought only selling Disney at the Disney store. I mean instead of selling Disney stuff at walmart and kmart, etc, just sell them at the disney store.

Juleberry

I breaks my heart to see what they've done to the Disney Store. It's awful! The quality is as LOW as it gets. Disney always prided itself on the wonderful quality of their products. I don't even go in there anymore. I'm a huge Disney fan but the Disney store doesn't even represent Disney anymore. It's full of crappy toys, junky pieces of plastic. In the end, they're losing money. Consumers are smarter than that. The last time I went in I felt like I was walking around the dollar store.
So terrible, it's my worst nighmare coming true.

Woody13

Originally posted by VILLAINSRULE
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end for the Disney stores?

I think you're right. I went to my local Disney Store day before yesterday to pick up my preorder of the Treasure Planet DVD. On my way to the store I decided to also purchase the Treasure Island DVD (I only have the VHS tape). Guess what? The Disney Store didn't have any version of Treasure Island! I went over to Wal-Mart and bought the Treasure Island DVD. So, I made up my mind then and there NOT to buy any more merchandise from the Disney Store. Also my local Wal-Mart was selling the Treasure Planet DVD for $14.23.

trekkie

Original Poster
I am so outraged at TDS now, I'd rather have them close; that is unless thay all go back to their original concept. Yet, I don't even know if the traditional stores (What few there are; the only real traditional ones in the US are on Broadway in NY and in Las Vegas). Most recently, my mom & I took a short two day vacation to Broadway; and I swear, even at night, when the LK was sold out, TDS wasn't nearly as full as when we last went to Broadway, which was in 2000. As for TDS at Ceasar's Palace in Vegas (Whose outer & inner decor is so beautiful, tearing it down would be a shame): my dad & I were there in 2001. Packed resort; very bustling shops & restaurants in the Forum; totally empty Disney Store (Save for us and maybe a few other customers).

Oh ... and one more thing: if you haven't been to Times Square lately, they have "finally" removed that awful looking & totally out-of-place huge light up DISNEY sign above TDS main entrance. The thing used to distract so much from the Amsterdam Theater

epcot71

having been a manager in retail for 12 years and a disney freak i have closely watched disney store from its first store in 1987 in glendale to now.i too miss the kewl disney merchandise like cells,polos and ties and watches.the problem was this;we all love disney and liked the high end merchandise but we represent a small percent of the total number of guests that came to disney store.even though there a lot of us who would buy $100 cells we a large number of guests would not.a large number of guests came to look around and be awed by the disney theme park like store but walked out empty handed and if they did buy something it was largely things like plush and toddler merchandise.only about 5-10% of sales came from things like watches and cells.the compnay then used the old "space to sales" program where it would devote spaces in stores according to percent of sales;i.e. if cells accounted for 5% of the sales it would get 5% of sales it would get 5% of floor space.
disney also wanted to gear their sites more on merchandise sales than providing a hang out for disney junkies like myself.by changing their layout they took away the audioanimatronic figures to make more room for merchandise.
this is what i think will happen within 5-10 years.
if u look at the intl stores in asia and europe they are highly themed and area specific and do very ,very,very well.the stores in major cities who have highly themed area specific store also do very ,very,very well.i think disney will concentrate on having stores in major cities with very highly themed and area specific stores and will shutter the rest-i think they will scale down to about 100 us stores and keep the intl stores that count to about 112 totalling about 200-215 stores.stores in like nyc,chicago,dallas,los angelos,san fransisco,miami,etc will stay but refocused on the area with a highly disney theme while the other disney stores all over in your every day town and mall will go . i really think this will happen and i hope it does

trekkie

Original Poster
The bottom line is that TDS is not doing as well under this new format.

"Disney preaches about family, yet at the same time ignores the principles of family entertainment upon which they were built"

And TDS is Eisner's latest victim. I wouldn't be surprised if the things are shuttered sometime within the next decade. Hopefully, Disney will come to their senses & change them; but right now, they are cramped, lifeless things with a death wish.

VILLAINSRULE

I work at a store that was a Gallery store, but we got rid of all of our great collectibles.......and slowly but surely we are getting rid of everything for adults, which I understand will only consist of some things at Christmas (probably jsut apparell)......The feedback I am getting about the changes is almost universally negative........As to the ratio of space versus sales for the cels, etc.---you would be surprised how many of these items were sold, especially at the holidays......how many stuffed animals do you have to sell to equal the sale of one cel? Plus the fact that you are totally losing the adults that came in to browse---they might not but every time they came in, but you better believe that when they did make a purchase it was for far more than 16.50 for a stuffed animal! And now that dont come in at all---they feel totally disenfranchised, and quite angry about the changes..... I should know this, but I dont---who is making these decisions at the store? Who would one write to to complain?

epcot71

if i were to write a letter to get a point across id write to andrew mooney who is the president of disney consumer products which disney store is under. i think if u go to eisner it might get lossed in the pile but putting the issue closer to the matter like mooney u might get a better response.

trekkie

Original Poster
Could he be reached via TDS mailing address? Do you know? I've tried to find out myself online (By search engines), but to no avail

epcot71

try
disney consumer products
mr.andrew mooney,president
500 buena vista street
burbank,ca 91521
(818)567-5401

if his eyebrow is to be raised anyone who sees this might want to write him-if just a couple of letters come in hes gonna think just some complainers but if he has letters coming in from all over the country he will think there might be an issue that needs to be addressed.

VILLAINSRULE

I will write today......Urge everyone who loves Disney to write......Disney is very responsive to what the guests want........SO please, take 5 minutes to write, and tell 5 of your friends to write.......let's flood his mailbox with our honest thoughts about what is happening to the Disney store!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom