The "Disney Look"

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster
I just read an article on another site about a cast member who is suing Disney because they wouldn't let him wear his turban and grow his beard (he was sikh). Obviously, this isn't the "Disney Look," but I certainly don't think it's fair to fire someone because their religion requires them to have a beard and turban.

I'll leave you lot to ruminate while I run and hide in a bomb shelter... it could get ugly.

Mouse Crazy

This is a difficult one, Surely when you go for the interviews/job offer this is explained in your contract, if people dont want to accept this they simply dont take the job. I understand how important religious beliefs are to people, and similarly how important it is to Disney to not show prefernce to any particular religion.

828tnt

i think it depends. i work in the industry, so i get the "image" detail. i also understand personal freedom.

the real issue is that when working with the public for disney- in most circumstances- you are a part of the show.

deal with it! it was a choice when you got that far! you can't be a dwarf and be taller than snow white, goofey isn't chubby, blah, blah, blah!

this is comical! i've had to lose my beard to take a job in the past.

america is full of choices........ not as sympathetic as some would like i know.

TubaGeek

Original Poster
I had to grow my hair into a mullet for a lead in a musical once... though as bad as that was, it certainly wasn't a religious thing.

This is a difficult one, Surely when you go for the interviews/job offer this is explained in your contract, if people dont want to accept this they simply dont take the job. I understand how important religious beliefs are to people, and similarly how important it is to Disney to not show prefernce to any particular religion.
I totally agree..

MinnieLee

Did he interview with the beard and turban? If that answer is yes, Disney knew of his religious beliefs and proably told him. If no, well, I am sure Disney explained their guidelines and he is part of the "show". Did he sign a contract explaining what the Disney dress code is? If they have their rules regarding beards/mustaches, earrings, nail polish, hair length, etc. why would this guy think he would be able to have a beard and a turban. When you are working with the public, especially from all nationalities and countries, some would find it offensive after 9/11 and the Iraq war. This could open up a whole can of worms. I don't even remember seeing a cast member wearing anything such as a cross or Star of David around their necks. :shrug:

NASAMan

The job belongs to the employer, who hires a person to fill the job. They dictate the requirements for the job. Government has instituted some regulations that prevent discrimination against some groups (disabled, minority, etc.) but does allow employers to set restricting descriptors for some positions (a certain restaurant known for its wing-serving, well endowed young ladies comes to mind).

Nobody has a right to a particular job. We have been granted rights to expect fairness in selecting who fills the position and the way we may be treated at the job, but ultimately the job belongs to the employer. If, after employment, I decide for whatever reason, personal, religious, whatever, that I cannot adhere to the policy of the employer, I have no demands to make on that employer.

Then again, anybody can sue anybody else for whatever they want to. It does not mean they have a winning case. Just an attorney getting paid.

TP2000

Then again, anybody can sue anybody else for whatever they want to. It does not mean they have a winning case. Just an attorney getting paid.

BINGO! Whiny people have sued Disney before for stuff like this. But they never win a settlement or change Disney's policies because they simply don't have a case.

But anyone can sue for anything. The latest guy to sue Disney for dress code type stuff is just as dumb as all the rest. His lawyer isn't that bright either.

DisneyWales

Call me wrong on this, but I side with Disney.

In a industry where looks are everything unless he is on a area where that look is part of the theme/story I think they have every right to dictate how he dresses, as people have said, the only reason this is an issue is because of his religion.

If he is on stage and customer facing he should abide by the same guidelines that every other cast member has to.

Disney has standards that they hold, and they hold them dearly. These have been set for many years, so they aren't something they've sprung up on the old boy suing them. He's just going to have to deal with it.

tigsmom

When you accept a job you also accept the rules that go with it. Disney is well within their rights to expect an employee to adhere to a certain dress code. If he cannot (or chooses not to) abide by this then he should either not accept or risk termination. Disney has, in the past, made attempts to work with people and have them work in areas where they do not come in contact with the guests.
Anyone has the right to sue, but that does not mean they will win.

raven

I had to grow my hair into a mullet for a lead in a musical once... though as bad as that was, it certainly wasn't a religious thing.

Do tell! As I am in musical theatre myself and went to elementary school in Sioux Falls.

As for "The Look" Disney isn't nearly as bad as they were in the past. Generally they look for a clean-cut look with no visible tats. They also like for you to keep your hair it's natural color. For some that isn't so easy. :lol:

Nansafan

Every company has policies for their employees. I am a secretary and worked for a major Chicago department store for 7 years. We had a very strict dress and grooming policy to follow and I wasn't even on the selling floor. My current employer has a dress code. Either you follow the rules or find somewhere else to work. How hard is that?

lscott933

he was in the band and had a mask and hat over his beard and turban According to the suit, while Walt Disney World[/URL] as a seasonal college musician in October 2005, which involves parade and atmospheric performances. While performing onstage in parades, he was in a toy soldier costume, with the soldier hat covering his turban and the soldier head hiding his beard. At first, he was allowed to wear a red turban instead of the standard red tubran in atmospheric performances, but he was removed from the atmospheric position due to not complying with "The Disney Look." Channa was terminated in early 2006 on the grounds of violating the grooming standards, and when he applied for reinstatement as a seasonal musician in October 2006, he was denied on the same basis. The lawsuit, filed by Miami attorney Matt Sarelson in Hillsborough County circuit court on behalf of Channa and the Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF), alleges that Disney is violating the Florida Civil Rights Act. The suit seeks damages of at least $1 million and asks that the court prevent Disney from discriminating against Sikh employees and prospective employees this all happen in 2005 and he want to be rehire and they didn't have a part for him. it sounds like it was at christmas time he was a toy soldier

BrerVeritas

When you are working with the public, especially from all nationalities and countries, some would find it offensive after 9/11 and the Iraq war.

I think this is the exact reason he should be allowed to work in WDW. There are many people in the world that see someone with brown skin and automatically associate them with terrorism.

Sikhs, beards, turbans. None of these have any association with 9/11. Different religion, different look. Maybe if people were exposed to the "standard look" of other cultures in addition to our own while in a family friendly safe environment such as WDW, the ignorance would start to dissipate.

There are so many people that make this mistake, and the only way to correct that is to start allowing it to seep into American mainstream culture just as we have with all other cultures against which we have unwarranted biases. maybe it isn't Disney's responsibility to do this, but it would be a very "Disney" thing to do, if they did.

teebin

I wonder if the words "cast member" gives Disney a bit more leeway here.

Is everyone that works at WDW considered a "CM"? Meaning people who work in the laundry and the sewage treatment plant or mechanics that fix the rides overnight etc.?
Obviously Mr. Rhode is not a CM. So where is the line drawn?

raven

Is everyone that works at WDW considered a "CM"? Meaning people who work in the laundry and the sewage treatment plant or mechanics that fix the rides overnight etc.?

Joe is an Imagineer.

Disney uses the term Cast Members because the employees are "on stage." Theatrical terms have always been used. They also have "Leads" as well (Lead = Manager).

And yes, people backstage (or not in public view) are also CMs.

JustPlainBill

I would think if the classification was "on stage" CM.
I would ask the question in the reverse...Where do you draw the line and allow religious expression to come between a company's right to sell a product? Meaning, interfering with Disney's right to sell an illusion to it's park guest/audience.

TubaGeek

Original Poster
Every company has policies for their employees. I am a secretary and worked for a major Chicago department store for 7 years. We had a very strict dress and grooming policy to follow and I wasn't even on the selling floor. My current employer has a dress code. Either you follow the rules or find somewhere else to work. How hard is that?

The catch here, though, is that it's for his religion. It's KIND OF like if you were offered a job but you first had to say "BTDubs! I don't care about my God LOLZ!!!" and then do that every day that you had to go to work.

Kind of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom