The Disney Look is Changing

fosse76

Oh please. You people are ridiculous. Despite the fact that I detest facial hair in all its forms, its existence in and of itself is NOT the lowering of standards. Its initial ban was Walt's unfettering dictatorial management style stereotyping what "All-American" meant. It was also hypocritical, since he himself had facial hair. Some of you need to grow up. Just because it's a change from the status-quo doesn't mean it's bad.

bullsforthewin

Whats next people are going to be allowed to dye their hair pink? As a former CP i can say that the people who cried about the Disney Look were children who would never make it in the real world....

If you are a college boy who gets razor burn then you need to go back to high school because there is no reason why you should of graduated if you cant shave correctly....

ChristianG

All I can say is that they better maintain their beards. An unnecessarily big beard in Florida can be a disaster for both the CM and the guests.

ToTBellHop

As long as they require that facial hair be well-maintained, I don't have a problem with this. No grungy look, though, please.

A Pirates of the Caribbean Cast Member with a goatee would work just fine, actually...

Dopey77

Guess since the Circus is coming to fantasyland, we might as well allow our cast members to look like they just jumped off the carnival bandwagon.. sad day for the classic disney look. Im a cast member with a mustache but wouldnt dare even consider growing a beard. All that facial hair, especially being allowed with food & beverage positions... ohh yea, tasty treats in store when the mountain man is making your food :shrug:

zooey

This isn't really a big deal, but I don't really understand why they did it. Managers complaining about keeping their CMs in line? Not enough of that going on as it is.

BigThunderMatt

The rule explained to us today was that you can grow beards or goatees during your vacation/holiday time (it cannot be grown while you are working regularly), but the hair cannot be longer than 1/4".

Disney probably realized they were one of the last holdouts for the clean-shaven all the time look. Pretty much every employer in every industry has been allowing beards and goatees for some time now.

And no, tattoos will likely never be allowed. My prediction is that this will be (and is currently) the largest change to Disney Look for some time since men were allowed to grow mustaches. The only major change I can see coming from here is guys being allowed to wear earrings to the same standards that women are held (very simple hoops or studs). Universal does allow men to wear earrings at work. Some employers do. But that is a hit or miss.

Don't expect anything extreme to come of this. I'm so used to being clean shaven it just comes naturally to me anymore but I can't help but think of the fortune I would save if I didn't have to keep buying razor cartridges...

71jason

Once again the Disney Online Fan Community gets bogged down in trivia and ridiculous straw man arguments (did anyone seriously even hint they would cancel a trip over this?).

The real issue: CM wages are not on a par with the surrounding area. WDW is being forced to lower its standards to find 50,000 people to work the resort. Tattoos are next ("tasteful" I'm sure, but it's coming).

HMF

Biggest non-issue in the history of non-issues. You will rarely hear me bad mouth Walt but he was a hypocrite when it comes to facial hair. As for those complaining about dropping standards. I strongly doubt that Disney would allow anywhere near a unkempt Charles Manson-style beard.

Pioneer Hall

Original Poster
If you have razor burn after shaving, you are obviously doing it wrong. :eek:

College aged boys usually do a lot of things wrong, and a morning shave is usually just one of them. They need a father or grown man to teach them how to shave properly based on their ethnicity, hair growth patterns and skin conditions, and then shaving daily is no big deal.

But college aged boys being college aged boys is not a good enough reason for Disney to lower their standards yet again. :rolleyes:

So I suppose that there are no circumstances where this might not be the case? Last time I checked I am not in college anymore (unless your assessment on shaving skills applies to graduate school as well). I unfortunately can get razor burn and ingrown hairs still even after numerous dermatological opinions and treatments. I finally have it figured out to a point where it usually not too bad, but it does happen time to time due to my skin type. try not to be so quick to judge people based on what your experiences have been.

Tigger1988

Some of you need to get out more if this is what you find upsetting and disappointing.

Good for Disney, a well trimmed beard isn't hurting anyone.

Tom Morrow

I don't see this as Disney lowering their look standards at all... I see it as them getting with the times. Hate all you want, but most companies these days consider neatly groomed facial hair on men to be perfectly professional looking.

As someone who would much rather have facial hair, I'm very happy about this!
Disney probably realized they were one of the last holdouts for the clean-shaven all the time look. Pretty much every employer in every industry has been allowing beards and goatees for some time now.
This.

Disneykidder

As long as they aren't food service providers, I see no problem with this. Some men look a lot better with a little facial hair. Tattoos....I don't think I would look at a cast member any different if they had a tattoo or not. Remember people, it the content of the character that we look at, not the outer appearance. :) Btw, I have a tattoo on my ankle with all of my kidcdies names on it.

Yes, casual Friday has gotten very casual. I am a teacher and most of us wear jeans and sweatshirts/sneakers/uggs on Fridays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom