The cruise ship horn

sillyspook13

The horn rocks! But I'm still perplexed by the fact that it's louder if you are on deck 9 than if you are on deck 10 AND standing directly in front of the horns.......:veryconfu :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

mousecar

Love the horns. Was lucky enough to catch them twice on deck with my video camera on. Does anyone know why they don't sound them off when leaving the Bahamas? too loud? too late?

Upvote 0

lt-hambone

A Possibility

Originally posted by mousecar
Love the horns. Was lucky enough to catch them twice on deck with my video camera on. Does anyone know why they don't sound them off when leaving the Bahamas? too loud? too late?

More than likely, the horns are not sounded because they are not internationally recognized. Being an ex-Navy type (hence the LT Hambone) and having had to memorize the Rules of the Road, I know that all ships in accordance with international regulations need to have a horn capable of sounding a single note in either a long or short blast at a certain decibel. The sound level of the horn is directly related to the size of the ship - the bigger the ship, the louder the horn. Using this definition, the Magic & Wonder's horn does not meet international regulations when it is playing its song.

FYI - One long blast means that a ship is leaving the dock, three short blasts means the ship is operating with astern propulsion - AKA going backwards, five or more short blasts is a warning/danger, and one/two short blasts is for overtaking and passing situations to let the other guy know what side you intend to do the overtaking/passing.

Hope I didn't confuse anybody!

Anchors away....

:)

Upvote 0

westie

We just got back from the magic 7 day. We went to St. Thomas because of the hurricane. When we awoke in port we were sandwiched between two of the biggest cruise ships I've ever seen. Way bigger than the magic.

Anyways, when we left port and we hit the horn and did the deck party the other ships began to blow their horns, like trying to drone out our horn and spoil the party. The captain played that horn three or four times back becuase of that. It was ear splitting but, we showed those wannabe's who can have more fun!

Oh yeah, it was sooo hot that my sweat was sweating...

Upvote 0

Maria

Re: A Possibility

Originally posted by lt-hambone
More than likely, the horns are not sounded because they are not internationally recognized. Being an ex-Navy type (hence the LT Hambone) and having had to memorize the Rules of the Road, I know that all ships in accordance with international regulations need to have a horn capable of sounding a single note in either a long or short blast at a certain decibel. The sound level of the horn is directly related to the size of the ship - the bigger the ship, the louder the horn. Using this definition, the Magic & Wonder's horn does not meet international regulations when it is playing its song.

FYI - One long blast means that a ship is leaving the dock, three short blasts means the ship is operating with astern propulsion - AKA going backwards, five or more short blasts is a warning/danger, and one/two short blasts is for overtaking and passing situations to let the other guy know what side you intend to do the overtaking/passing.

Hope I didn't confuse anybody!

Anchors away....

:)

Thanks a lot for the explanation! I didn´t know it. :)

I´m assuming then, that they also have to have the regular horn, right? It´s just that we never hear it... (at least I haven´t heard it play.) ;)

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by westie
We just got back from the magic 7 day. We went to St. Thomas because of the hurricane. When we awoke in port we were sandwiched between two of the biggest cruise ships I've ever seen. Way bigger than the magic.

Anyways, when we left port and we hit the horn and did the deck party the other ships began to blow their horns, like trying to drone out our horn and spoil the party. The captain played that horn three or four times back becuase of that. It was ear splitting but, we showed those wannabe's who can have more fun!

Oh yeah, it was sooo hot that my sweat was sweating...

Sandwiched with two boats bigger than the Magic?? Wow!! :eek:

Upvote 0

Michael72688

Original Poster
Originally posted by Maria
Sandwiched with two boats bigger than the Magic?? Wow!! :eek:

Yea, same thing happened when I went to St. Thomas, it was the Grand Princess, and the Explorer of the Seas, and the same thing happened there with the horns, all the other ships played theres at the same time, but of course the Magic played it more! Did you notice the announcment they now make, about sounding the horn, when I went in November 1998 they made no announcement, they just did it!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

westie

And Maria, mi compadre, they lost my wifes luggage and it wasn't there as we started to sail. All I could think of was you screaming your head off, lol!, it turned up.

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by westie
And Maria, mi compadre, they lost my wifes luggage and it wasn't there as we started to sail. All I could think of was you screaming your head off, lol!, it turned up.

LOL!! I didn´t think someone would remember my luggage episode on the Cruise! :lol: Now you know how I felt! Awful!!

I was very impressed by the size of The Magic (size does matter!). The other boats next to us in Bahamas were smaller and one of them was The Sovereign of the Seas, which I thought was big enough, but it looked like a yatch next to the big black boat! I bet it should be more impressing to find two boats bigger than that! :eek:

Upvote 0

Figment1986

Originally posted by Michael72688
Yea, same thing happened when I went to St. Thomas, it was the Grand Princess, and the Explorer of the Seas, and the same thing happened there with the horns, all the other ships played theres at the same time, but of course the Magic played it more! Did you notice the announcment they now make, about sounding the horn, when I went in November 1998 they made no announcement, they just did it!! :sohappy:

I love the Grand princess, i got to be on it.

(I wanted to go on the disny ships but my dad hates disney, Must have given it all to me, lol)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom